Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152

Thread: Science microthreads

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubjay View Post
    If I understand correctly, hydrogen sulfide is found in stinky farts. So, Uranus actually smells like an anus.
    They totally should have titled the article, "Your Anus Smells Like Uranus."
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Catoptric View Post
    (Stun gun on lcd screen, etc.)
    I resorted to just getting a Samsung S9+ which comes with a DeX pad (when bought on Samsung's website) that allows the phone to be used as a PC, in addition to charging.

I could have perhaps waited for my existing contract with Sprint to complete, and I would have considered getting an unlocked phone for cheaper than the $900 I spent, however didn't also want to run into unexpected issues that comes with unlocked phones not giving full functionality. Some issues exist with S9 causing dropped call audio among other things. One of the issues I decided to remedy which I haven't been hearing about with the S9+, such as the phones potentially breaking, by buying a metal case and due to its size got a belt holster/clip. I won't be using induction charging, and fortunately I don't have to resort to using an accessory to connect a headphone. I'm aware that the metal case could likely affect signal issues, or GPS. . .

In short, the issues with the lcd screen are likely caused by pressure damaging the electromagnetic conductance, and possible warping that ruins the sensitivity. I didn't quite get the lcd screen to remain completely flush and it has a bulge, and has some issues that makes the use of the phone nearly unbearable. It does return to functionality with sparking it though that is a temporary solution.

Type
    iNtP
    washington... this sometimes changes withought planning...
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTP
    I'm reading up on Geron Pharmaceuticals.

Geron (GERN) stock recouperated 10% today and returned back to where I bought it at, and I've been curious about how effective Imetelstat will be in cancer treatment. It sounds like Dr. Scarllett was put in position of running the company, in order to market and sell it for as much as possible. J&J joined in to study the efficacy of Imetelstat for cancer treatment and it's application, and for whatever reason the deal fell through. Prior to that deal falling through some of the executives in the company sold the stock they had which amounted to a decent amount (ranging from $9k to over $1 million, depending on how much they owned.) Either the treatment in phase studies proved to be less effective, or they believed the inhibition of telemerase enzyme in creating apoptosis in cancer cells, was too much of a risk to assess the effects of, that a concern of risk liability might have occurred? It is interesting to consider what Trump's interest in allowing terminal patients to use drugs that are not approved by the FDA; and the approval of such drugs as Imetelstat. The stock is currently just below $2 and it fell about $6 when J&J's research segment stepped back from it, though many have believed the potential for such a company owning 100% of the patent on a drug that could potentially be used on every single cancer, to be a very interesting development. Geron closed down it's R&D offices and is still making money on some of it's drug applications, though it doesn't have enough to cover what would amount to $120+ million to go through a phase 3 trial study for FDA approval. If effective I can see this drug replacing chemotherapy, and have believed it possible that J&J would be terrified of such a drug eliminating a great deal of it's profits through potential efficacy?

It's safe to say Geron is going down (though some report was claiming the stock should go up to $7?) They have no real future.

I recommend investing in Arrowhead Pharmaceutical; you can check out a biotech science video.
    Last edited by Catoptric; 10-17-2018 at 02:19 AM.