Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4149505152 LastLast

Thread: Science microthreads

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Bad news for vegetarians: Everybody hurts. Maybe just stick to fruits and seeds!

Sedate a Plant, and It Seems to Lose Consciousness. Is It Conscious?
    Maybe it's good news. Now eggs are as ethical as fruits and seeds. Well... seeds anyway. Eating just the fruit leaves the seeds a chance to germinate and become adult plants. Eating seeds, be they nuts, grains or pulses, is an end to that potential propagation.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    intp
    I'd better stop eating Venus fly traps.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Maybe it's good news. Now eggs are as ethical as fruits and seeds. Well... seeds anyway. Eating just the fruit leaves the seeds a chance to germinate and become adult plants. Eating seeds, be they nuts, grains or pulses, is an end to that potential propagation.
    But -- endozoochory is sometimes an obligate portion of a plant's life cycle. What if shitting in a toilet is murdering unborn corn?
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    On a more serious note, while the discoveries that gave rise to this article are nothing short of fascinating, I find the premise of the article to be hand-wavy bullshit. The reason venus fly traps seem to be able to "count," that plants harden off in harsher conditions, that pea plants will stop closing up if you mess with them, etc, is just a matter of plants having evolved adjustable signal thresholds. The plant response to anesthesia was discovered in the 1840s by a man named Claude Bernard, largely forgotten, and has, in the last decade, undergone a resurgence in interest by scientists studying the mechanisms behind the action of anesthesia.

The cool takeaway here is that there are similarities between what happens in plant cells and animal cells under anesthesia...that there are very basic cell signal pathways involved in response to external stimuli that may be held in common by all life. That lead got totally buried under the "plant consciousness" bit. Typical clicks > substance science reporting.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

Type
    INTP
    Tribbles are real, except they turn out to be crayfish.

The science angle on this is fascinating, a new species circa 1995.

This Mutant Crayfish Clones Itself, and It’s Taking Over Europe

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Type
    INTP
    If a cell phone touch screen stops responding, you can take a piezoelectric shock/spark from a lighter, or in the situation where not one is available, a stun gun will do.

Considering that I have yet to see if this resolves a portion of my smart phone screen not working, I will edit this to warn others not to attempt it. If on the other hand it works, I will leave this as is (and perhaps notify if it doesn't?)

I'll be recharging in the meantime, as the one I have has been sitting unused for awhile. I sparked it a few times and it seemed to work initially though not completely. Supposedly this is an issue with android phones. I would rather not get an unnecessary upgrade and find out it was a horrible decision. An interesting option to also try out is to get an adapter to plug into the usb port that can be plugged into a mouse or a keyboard, in the event you needed to control the movement of the mouse cursor.

Update: I let the phone sit after it was shocked a few times, and it has restored the touchscreen functionality. For awhile the screen was separating from the housing (possibly because plugging an external battery can result in overheating when left in a pants pocket) and it cause it to malfunction over time. I have since used superglue along the trim and pressed down upon it, and it is really not noticeable that anything was wrong. This is fortunate as buying a new HTC M10 would still cost about $300-400, and the phones I was looking at getting would be about $800-900+ (and no, I would not be getting an Iphone; more probably a Samsung, or Google Pixel 3. HTC M12 is an option, though I was noticing the M11 to have the same issue as the Iphone X where the phone would break due to bending and cracking easily and I'm not too confident in HTC addressing this basic screen issues. A phone doesn't need to be a TV screen either (though I would probably consider getting a 6 inch screen.) The main issue was only a horizontal column along the lower portion of the screen would not respond, and prevented me from using the keyboard effectively, as well as answer calls (though I don't call much, it kind of is embarrassing if I don't answer when I need to.)
    Last edited by Catoptric; 04-22-2018 at 08:38 PM.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Banned
    Type
    XXXX
    If I understand correctly, hydrogen sulfide is found in stinky farts. So, Uranus actually smells like an anus.