Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast

Thread: Science microthreads

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    the reason why orange juice tastes bad after brushing teeth is because the toothpaste fatigues the sweet receptors and all that is picked up is bitter

Type
    INTP
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTP
    Prehistoric Women Had Stronger Arms Than Modern Athletes
    "Bones from Europe show that women worked so hard during the dawn of farming they were almost uniformly buffer than today's elite rowers."

Male fragility: selectively breeding women for countless generations to be weaker than us.

Type
    INTP
    This supports a recent anecdote on the part of @Sistamatic - People who know how the news is made resist conspiratorial thinking
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I was googling around trying to figure out why basic textbooks don't include the 21st and 22cnd amino acids yet even though we've known about them for a decade and I ran across a good read (but only if you are a biology nerd).

https://bmcbioinformatics.biomedcent...471-2105-8-225
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    NASA Just Proved It Can Navigate Space Using Pulsars. Where to Now?

Then, last week, Gendreau and a team of NASA researchers announced that they had finally proven that pulsars can function like a cosmic positioning system. Gendreau and his team performed the demonstration quietly last November, when the Neutron Star Interior Composition Explorer (a pulsar-measuring instrument the size of a washing machine, currently aboard the International Space Station) spent a weekend observing the electromagnetic emissions of five pulsars. With the help of an enhancement known as the Station Explorer for X-ray Timing and Navigation Technology (aka Sextant), Nicer was able to determine the station's position in Earth's orbit to within roughly three miles—while it was traveling in excess of 17,000 miles per hour.
    For Star Trek like travel this seems to be the equivalent of accurate time pieces in the age of sailing.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Bad news for vegetarians: Everybody hurts. Maybe just stick to fruits and seeds!

Sedate a Plant, and It Seems to Lose Consciousness. Is It Conscious?
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    iNtP
    washington... this sometimes changes withought planning...
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie