Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Science microthreads

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Yep, would take a massive hard-sale job, and the venting (according to the articles I've read) is dispersed over too great an area for economical harvesting anyway.

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    Heh, this could be the scientific discovery of our lifetimes.
    When they start looking in 2020, Kepler will have provided a "Mother Lode" of candidates to consider.

http://www.wral.com/nasa-announces-m...-715/13431316/

It adds more weight to the notion that our planet & solar system are typical rather than outliers in the scheme of things.
    Carl Sagan would be smiling today.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    On the astronomy front... dark matter may be sterile neutrinos or then again maybe not.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    Daaaamn

Type
    INTP
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    New dwarf planet discovered in orbit beyond Pluto.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci...327-zqneq.html

Apparently the solar system is larger than previously thought, as this ostensibly confirms the presence of objects in solar orbits at distances which had been theorized but not actually found.

Most sensationally, models to explain how the dwarf planet got there also supposedly indicate that it may imply the gravitational force of another, much larger object in a distant solar orbit as well. (Specifically something like a solid planet 10x the size of the Earth)

I think I saw a Godzilla movie about this once--they've found the home planet of Monster Zero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP

Type
    INTP

Type
    INtP
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0107103621.htm

Evolutionary surprise: Eight percent of human genetic material comes from a virus

The research showed that the genomes of humans and other mammals contain DNA derived from the insertion of bornaviruses, RNA viruses whose replication and transcription takes place in the nucleus. Feschotte wrote on recent research led by Professor Keizo Tomonaga at Osaka University in Japan. Feschotte said this virally transmitted DNA may be a cause of mutation and psychiatric disorders such as schizophrenia and mood disorders.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    I fished on this one and took a shot at the paper behind it. As always, curses for not remembering my math better or learning it in the first place.

Tegmark takes as his starting point two requirements put forth by Tonini as a starting point and analyzes the implications in terms of quantum mechanics and math (I think) to see what the implications are.

Guilono Tonini made this idea more specific and useful, making a compelling argument that for an information processing system to be conscious, it needs to have two separate traits:
    1. Information: It has to have a large repertoire of accessible states, i.e., the ability to store a large amount of information.
    2. Integration: This information must be integrated into a unified whole, i.e., it must be impossible to decompose the system into nearly independent parts.
    This isn't a discovery or reporting observations but a hypothesis and a very interesting one too.

Another idea is the 'perceptronium', the most general substance that feels subjectively aware. I've sometimes wondered if a person could code cleverly or invent the right logic function would self-awareness pop out - is there a perceptronium in computer science (the holy grail)?

Anyway, a bit from the summary

We focused not on solving this problem, but rather exploring the implications of this viewpoint. Specifically, we have explored five basic principles that may distinguish conscious matter from other physical systems: the information, integration, independence, dynamics and utility principles.