Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Science microthreads

Type
    IXXP
    Quote Originally Posted by Starjots View Post
    I fished on this one and took a shot at the paper behind it. As always, curses for not remembering my math better or learning it in the first place.

Tegmark takes as his starting point two requirements put forth by Tonini as a starting point and analyzes the implications in terms of quantum mechanics and math (I think) to see what the implications are.

This isn't a discovery or reporting observations but a hypothesis and a very interesting one too.

Another idea is the 'perceptronium', the most general substance that feels subjectively aware. I've sometimes wondered if a person could code cleverly or invent the right logic function would self-awareness pop out - is there a perceptronium in computer science (the holy grail)?

Anyway, a bit from the summary
    The obverse statement -- Matter is a state of consciousness -- is also plausible.
    Close examination suggests that what we conceive as "matter" (substance and solidity) is in reality mostly just empty space traversed by minute forces of attraction and repulsion that create the illusion of something solid called matter.
    So matter, as a concept whose empirical underpinning is gone, can only exist in consciousness as a conceptual object that never exists in actual experience making it, if not a state of consciousness, something that can only appear because of consciousness.

This doesn't deserve it's own thread. That in itself is amazing to think about. 10 years ago it would have deserved it's own forum.

Earth Sized Planet in the Habitable Zone
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    This doesn't deserve it's own thread. That in itself is amazing to think about. 10 years ago it would have deserved it's own forum.

Earth Sized Planet in the Habitable Zone
    Is this because more extrasolar planets have been found, or because people are less interested in it here these days? I wish it was easy to send a probe to some of these places, so we can know what they actually look like. But I'm sure it would take an ungodly amount for them to even get there.

The discussion of infrared radiation also has me confused. What is the relationship of infrared radiation to heat.... which is just molecular motion and has nothing to do with electromagnetism? I never understood how infrared radiation fits into that.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post

The discussion of infrared radiation also has me confused. What is the relationship of infrared radiation to heat.... which is just molecular motion and has nothing to do with electromagnetism? I never understood how infrared radiation fits into that.
    Well, it's easy to grasp once you contemplate holding a pin-tip in a flame till it glows red hot.

EM is a spectrum of waves, as we all know, and it is also a range of photons excited to varying degrees.

Heat from the flame provides enough energy to kick out photons/waves that are more energetic/higher frequency than just the plain-Jane IR photons kicked out by lower temps.

Is this because more extrasolar planets have been found, or because people are less interested in it here these days? I wish it was easy to send a probe to some of these places, so we can know what they actually look like. But I'm sure it would take an ungodly amount for them to even get there.
    Yes, I'm with you. I imagine it's both reasons, people are less interested because so many extrasolar planets have been found. Not to mention Kepler has plenty of unverified candidates that just haven't been confirmed yet, and people probably see candidates in the same light as something confirmed, like the one above. Basically, science is like watching your kid grow. They don't go from a baby to adult in a day, it's gradual. So gradual that it's not so incredible when they become an adult. Likewise, there was a slow build up of discoveries leading to this one that make it less incredible.

At one time there was a project (that has since been cancelled, and never really saw the light of day) that involved a telescope in space that would use a secondary starlight blocker at some orbital distance from the telescope itself that would make "seeing" exoplanets much easier. There's also a lot of exciting work going on using spectroscopy that may enable the detection of life on such far away planets even if we can't see an awesome visible light photo of them.

Wikipedia's description of Thermal Radiation has a decent explanation of the relationship.

Thermal radiation is electromagnetic radiation generated by the thermal motion of charged particles in matter. All matter with a temperature greater than absolute zero emits thermal radiation. When the temperature of the body is greater than absolute zero, interatomic collisions cause the kinetic energy of the atoms or molecules to change. This results in charge-acceleration and/or dipole oscillation which produces electromagnetic radiation, and the wide spectrum of radiation reflects the wide spectrum of energies and accelerations that occur even at a single temperature.
    On the flip side, the thermal radiation hitting an object transfers the energy from the electromagnetic waves back into molecules, which then accelerate and produce their own thermal radiation. I couldn't quickly find a source for this part, though.
    Last edited by stigmatica; 04-18-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Type
    INTP
    In sex-reversed cave insects, females have the penises

When I came across this story, I thought of an evolutionary future in which human females evolve penises that obtain male sperm through penetration - and how men could be subject to female rape and pillaging of their sperm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    In sex-reversed cave insects, females have the penises

When I came across this story, I thought of an evolutionary future in which human females evolve penises that obtain male sperm through penetration - and how men could be subject to female rape and pillaging of their sperm.
    Heh.. I posted this in another thread this morning.

#weirdnature

Type
    INTP
    Missed that, sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    Missed that, sorry!
    lol - No, I like that you put it here. It's incredibly interesting, and got buried and lost quickly in that high volume thread. The world needs to know this!

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Obesity epidemic caused by proetin-poor food tricking brain. An interesting article - which links to other evidence pointing to modern food being severely nutrient-poor in other ways.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein