Type
    INTP

TV shows you grew up with!

And that you really liked.

One of mine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cl%C3%A9mentine

And the opening:

Type
    INTP
    In no particular order, Gilligan's Island, The Brady Bunch, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Diff'rent Strokes, Facts of Life

I guess if you wanted to throw Monday Night Football, ABC's Wide World of Sports, This Week in Baseball and NFL Films Game of the Week, cuz who doesn't love John Facenda narrating over slo-mo?? (to be clear, I hate the raiduhs)

Soap, when I could get away with it. Benson, was family friendly. The character was so different than what he played on Soap. There was another Black butler on Soap named Sanders. Just the best deadpan delivery. One Day at a Time was another one. Sometimes a bit bleak. Always thought Mackenzie Phillips character was really whiny. Was not surprised when it came out she was on drugs. I'm pretty sure I ordered a Valerie Bertinelli out of Dynamite Magazine. I'd post it but I don't want to look like a pedo. Also like Pat Harrington because I recognized his voice as The Inspector from the cartoons that played in Pink Panther.

I remember sneaking downstairs after the rents went to sleep to watch The Tonight Show w/Johnny Carson. They'd often watch at least the opening monologue. Sometimes I could watch with them, other times it was "way past my bedtime." I continued watching and loved it when Joan Rivers would guest host.

They were a bit more lenient with Midnight Special. If they saw me falling asleep on the couch, they'd send me to bed. Generally, I'd become wide awake by around 11:20 and couldn't wait for it to come on. A few times, like if my dad was doing taxes or mom had work or doing laundry, they'd watch a little with me. My sister wasn't that into it but sometimes she'd watch. I can still remember all of us swaying to the Na-na, na-na-na's in Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'. American Graffiti Soundtrack was my first album, which featured Wolfman Jack. I thought he had the coolest voice and look. Prolly thought he was a wolfman at some point.

Type
    INTP
    Honestly, TV sucked balls growing up.

Somehow though, it is the standard bearer for great storytelling while movies have become vehicles for selling toys and video games.

So Knight Rider.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    So Knight Rider.
    Forgot about Knight Rider. I also watch The A-Team and Chips but really, don't know if I'd count them as shows i grew up with since I only watched them a season or two. SWAT, Love Boat & Fantasy Island can get thrown in that mix as well.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan26 View Post
    Forgot about Knight Rider. I also watch The A-Team and Chips but really, don't know if I'd count them as shows i grew up with since I only watched them a season or two. SWAT, Love Boat & Fantasy Island can get thrown in that mix as well.

It was like the internet before the internet.

Type
    INFP
    Saved By The Bell was the biggest constant for me. I watched it everyday for yeeeeeeeaaaaars.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTj
    Stargate SG1, I fucking love that show.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Despite there only being four over-the-air (UHF) TV channels and no cable or satellite until the nineties, Kids TV in the UK was quite good.
    I especially used to like Cosgrove hall cartoons, such as Danger mouse and count Duckula, then there was knightmare which came out when I was 12 and still doesn't look all that bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBQL4zsyKLk

I used to like watching blockbusters too, "can I have a P please Bob" ahaaaa

Honorable mentions to Blackadder, only fools and horses, Open all hours, Panorama, The young ones, The tube, the hitman and her, Kenny Everett, Willo the wisp, Worzel Gummidge, challenge Anneka/Treasure Hunt (especially when Annabel Croft took over, cameramen did a great job of filming her arse)
    Tomorrow's world, Tony Hart (Take Hart?)
    Chris Brown did nothing wrong

Type
    INTP
    Airwolf
    M.A.S.K
    The Raccoons
    Quantum Leap
    The Pretender
    Millennium

those were the less conventional shows that I liked growing up...y'know, because everyone liked Transformers, so it goes without mentioning.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    "Grew up with" is difficult to parse/live up to here, I guess.

I recall liking some TV shows, but they seem to fall into defined periods of my life.

I'm with MacG here, too--mostly I recall TV being full of a bunch of crap, and I really did watch a lot of it. I guess there must have been shows I liked, though, since I kept watching.

I would have started 1st grade in 1988 or 89, and I watched a lot of Ninja Turtles--had a bunch of the toys and stuff, too, so presumably that qualifies as a strong personal interest. I either dropped it or it went off the air before my early teen years, though.

I was a little older when Power Rangers became a big thing--still young enough to watch it, but even back then I think I realized how cheap and stupid it was. I hear there's a new movie in production--if you needed any more evidence that Hollywood really has completely run out of ideas. (I've since learned that Power Rangers was effectively an American TV show created by stringing together unused pieces of footage from 2 or 3 different Japanese TV shows and then hiring American actors to film a few scenes per episode and do some voice dubbing that gave it a vague semblance of a plot--I mean it was pretty much literal garbage dressed up as a new entertainment product, and it was a big hit because children really will watch basically anything moving around on a screen and making noise.)

There was a stretch where I would make a point of watching Rocky and Bulwinkle (which is from like the fucking 50's or something) on Nick at Nite--my parents would tape it for me half the time because it was on after my bed time. I must have been pretty young, but I don't remember exactly when this was. I really liked it for some reason. (It's about a talking squirrel and a talking moose who use wacky hijinks to thwart the evil schemes of a pair of incompetent Russian spies, although it had a variety format where it was really a couple of shows in one--the others, IIRC, were a Tarzan knockoff/parody called "George of the Jungle" and a show where a kid would be given history lessons by a talking dog who owned a time machine.)

My teen years involved Mystery Science Theater--which I honestly think of as possibly the best thing that will ever be on television. Its brilliance is only magnified by the fact that they took such a lazy concept--let's just put crap on the screen but have somebody sitting there going "haha, this sure is crap, isn't it"--and actually made it consistently funny. I feel like this has been mimicked in various ways but Beavis and Butthead was the only other show that ever really pulled it off.

Man, the 90's were pretty ridiculous in retrospect--if it wasn't TV shows that were basically about observing that everything on TV was stupid, it was comedy movies that mostly eschewed actual jokes to just show some guy with an obvious mental illness or cognitive disability yelling at people and making them uncomfortable. (Why did no one ever think to put Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey in the same movie? It could have just been the two of them riding around in a special-ed short bus and yelling at people through the windows, and it probably would have outgrossed every other comedy film produced in the same decade.) I was a kid--that's my excuse. Maybe all the adults in the world were just stoned.

My family used to watch Red Dwarf together when I was 13 or so. I liked it because it had space ships but it was also low-brow and risque' by the standards that make things risque' when you're 13--plus it was on at 10 PM and my parents liking it meant that they'd let me stay up to watch it. They liked it because it was British and on PBS (I mean, they're sci-fi nerds, too), which I guess meant that it was more sophisticated than American shows involving the same type of humor.

The Simpsons is probably the one show I memorably "grew up with" (as in consistently watched for more than a couple of years). I'm sure this will be a shocking, controversial opinion here, but... The Simpsons is a pretty good TV show.

EDIT: Oh, right, the X-Files. I guess there was some pretty good TV on when I was a kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.