Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Striking Quotes.

Type
    INTJ

Striking Quotes.

A thread for quotes that have the power to dispel illusions.

"Mind is the master power that molds and makes,
    And we are Mind, and evermore we take
    The tool of thought, and shaping what we will,
    Bring forth a thousand joys, a thousand ills.
    We think in secret, and it comes to pass —
    Our world is but our looking glass."

James Allen

Type
    XXXX
    “Put a man on the brink of the abyss and - in the unlikely event that he doesn't fall into it - he will become a mystic or a madman... Which is probably the same thing!”

Apostolos Doxiadas

Type
    xxxx
    "The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." --W. Somerset Maugham

Though I may be tempting to interpret this contribution as a swipe at the thread or those reading and posting, it is a quote I have considered repeatedly in the fifteen years since I first encountered it.

Type
    INTJ
    Quote Originally Posted by ashi View Post
    "The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." --W. Somerset Maugham

Though I may be tempting to interpret this contribution as a swipe at the thread or those reading and posting, it is a quote I have considered repeatedly in the fifteen years since I first encountered it.
    Well, there's a time for wit (namely, conversation), and a time for quotation. Sometimes something has already been said, the way that it should be said.

At the end of the day, truth is the goal, no matter who spoke it first. Finally, having the capacity for wit doesn't exclude one from also having the ability to pass on a cogently worded piece of wisdom, that may well prove beneficial to others.

Placing a higher value on the capacity for wit, seems rather vapidly egotistical, to me. Because it doesn't matter who said it, or how quickly they spouted it out - as long as someone can learn from it.

Type
    INTJ
    “The great boon of repression is that it makes it possible to live decisively in an overwhelmingly miraculous and incomprehensible world, a world so full of beauty, majesty, and terror that if animals perceived it all they would be paralyzed to act. ... What would the average man do with a full consciousness of absurdity? He has fashioned his character for the precise purpose of putting it between himself and the facts of life; it is his special tour-de-force that allows him to ignore incongruities, to nourish himself on impossibilities, to thrive on blindness. He accomplishes thereby a peculiarly human victory: the ability to be smug about terror.”

Ernest Becker

Alright. I have to add an addendum to this quote:

Becker's magnum opus, "The Denial of Death," is a must-read, imo. It sums up the psychological plight of modern man brilliantly; so accurately (imo) in fact, that the book remains relatively unknown, almost even tabooed, in proportion to the wealth of insights it contains.

All that said, I think the message of the book speaks directly from the threshold of "enlightenment," so to speak, and tragically fails to transcend its (imo) undeniably astounding syncretization, of the modern psychological zeitgeist. Becker actually died shortly after the book was released, it won the Pulitzer Prize two months after his death, and now these days, it seems rarely brought up.

Okay, fuck it - here's what I'm saying. Read this book. Though I disagree with his conclusions (or, anti-conclusions), he succinctly traces, and absolutely nails the all-too-common plight that is currently assaulting the psyche (soul) of the majority. This book says so many things that are so very clear, and yet only the bravest of minds would ever have the gall to actually articulate them.
    Last edited by synagogue; 05-21-2015 at 05:20 PM.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    "Let people feel the full weight of who you are, and let them deal with it."

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    "Actions speak louder than words"

More of a mantra I guess, seems simple but continually reminding myself of it helps a lot with seeing through all the bullshit.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    “The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”
    Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
    Chris Brown did nothing wrong

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    “The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”
    Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
    After some worn-out Catholic bashing, the author goes on to state interesting things: Is it time for atheists to hunt bigger game

Whether or not you’re, like me, an atheist, the odds are you know plenty of religiously observant people (including some clergy) whose bullshit detectors are splendidly calibrated when it comes to the more powerful irrationalities disfiguring our world. Heck, the popes in Rome, even the conservative ones, have been criticizing capitalism for ages! It would be a good thing if our atheist celebrities Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris and Bill Maher diversified their Johnny One-Note disbelief and went looking for bigger Nobodaddies to dispel.
    ^ Here's one striking quote.

Type
    INTP
    “The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.” – Anatole France, 1844-1924

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy: that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” – John Kenneth Galbraith