View Poll Results: Do you have low self-esteem?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 17.65%
  • I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else.

14 82.35%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: INTPs prone to low self-esteem

Type
    xxxx

Red face INTPs prone to low self-esteem

So this is the highest upvoted submission on /r/INTP:

So assuming it was highly upvoted because people agree, and just from general observations from the people who post here, why does it seem that people who test as INTP also tend to have low self esteem? Or is it only INTPs who frequent internet forums? Is it an introversion or perceiving thing?

Please respond to poll honestly. Here is some info to help you decide:

Typically, a person with low self-esteem:
    Is extremely critical of themselves
    Downplays or ignores their positive qualities
    Judges themselves to be inferior to their peers
    Uses negative words to describe themselves such as stupid, fat, ugly or unlovable
    Has discussions with themselves (this is called ‘self talk’) that are always negative, critical and self blaming
    Assumes that luck plays a large role in all their achievements and doesn’t take the credit for them
    Blames themselves when things go wrong instead of taking into account other things over which they have no control such as the actions of other people or economic forces
    Doesn’t believe a person who compliments them.
    "I fucking hate the cold!" - Wim Hof

art and flowers: https://www.instagram.com/cloudlilt/

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    I can has both?

You put your outside in,
    You put your inside out,
    You put your outside in,
    And you shake it all about,

You do the hokey pokey
    and you turn yourself around
    That what it's all about.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post

Typically, a person with low self-esteem:
    Is extremely critical of themselves
    Downplays or ignores their positive qualities
    Judges themselves to be inferior to their peers
    Uses negative words to describe themselves such as stupid, fat, ugly or unlovable
    Has discussions with themselves (this is called ‘self talk’) that are always negative, critical and self blaming
    Assumes that luck plays a large role in all their achievements and doesn’t take the credit for them
    Blames themselves when things go wrong instead of taking into account other things over which they have no control such as the actions of other people or economic forces
    That's funny, I never think I have low self-esteem, but almost that whole list applies to me. Except for "judges themselves inferior to their peers". I'm bad, others tend to be worse. Except here, you guys are all great.

I think a lot of the things that we like as introverts are countercultural, we're considered lazy and anti-social and too often internalize those judgements.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Except here, you guys are all great.
    You're just saying that to make us feel better.

I think "judges themselves to be inferior to their peers" should be replaced by "judges themselves to be inferior to those they respect", as I for one don't care about the majority of my peers and how I stack up to them in things that matter to them.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    It's not an issue for me. But I can see why many INTP's can slip into a spiral of low self esteem.

We live in an extroverted SJ world that values/rewards/gives attention to - activities and modes of behaviors that INTPs don't usually excel at. So this lack of positive feed back can drag us down emotionally.

As well, INTP's can be poorly focused and fail to follow through on goals which leaves them feeling unaccomplished and creates a sense of failure (i.e. they shoot themselves in the foot).

Type
    xxxx
    i think people upvote to show support & not necessarily always because they identify

my self-esteem is probably around average, despite my tendency towards self-criticism. ideally it's just enough to have perspective and take action rather than wallow.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    My self esteem is not in any kind of trouble at all.

(though it was a different story 25 years ago)
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    InTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    ideally it's just enough to have perspective and take action rather than wallow.
    I think this is important. I relate to almost every sign of low self-esteem in the OP but I would not describe myself as having low self esteem because it has never been debilitating. This is of course pedantic and low self esteem doesnt have to be severe enough that it is a problem, but for me I think it is tied to my personality and a preferred perspective for self reflection.

I think some important signs of low self esteem that kali didn't list are:
    A tendency to put others needs ahead of your own.
    A tendency to not share your thoughts and feelings because you fear they are worthless.
    You often rationalize that when bad things happen you deserved it.
    You let other people make important decisions about your life.
    "A new immortal appeared in front of you. Would you like preparations of inception?"

aka HappyNoodleBoy

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I've read some stuff about this connection, and it usually boils down to the idea that people with the INTP set of personality traits are at higher risk for depression because they often have a harder time than others finding a societal niche where they can both feel like they're being authentic to themselves and feel that they're accepted and valued by others on the same terms. Deficiencies in one or the other (or both) of those elements in one's life are pretty well-studied risk factors for environmentally induced depression, of which low self-esteem is one common and major symptom.

Basically:

Feeling like no one else understands or values you = lower self esteem

Feeling like you aren't doing or prioritizing the things you genuinely want to be doing and prioritizing in your life = lower self-esteem

E/S/J sorts of people are more likely to find that this is easily resolved or barely an issue in the first place--since their genuine interests and priorities revolve around things that tend to also get them understood and valued by others. I/P types are more likely to see the two needs as contradictory, hence one or the other (or both) will tend to be insufficiently satisfied because of the seeming paradox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INFP
    Not an INTP, but I vacillate between thinking I'm the greatest and worst man that ever lived, falling somewhere in the middle when I'm at my best. I think above average intelligence, below average physical qualities and wildly sporadic morality is the accurate description I should hold. It's disbelief in my competence and overconfidence in my wit that tend to be my biggest stumbling blocks in the self-esteem dept.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?