Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chameleons and Octopuses

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    there's nothing keeping you from being those things.

imo people thinking they're set in their ways after identifying with a one-dimensional type profile might be the worst effect of mbti. being more balanced & more capable of different "modes" is ideal.
    Oh, I have certainly tried throughout my life. Sometimes a square just doesn't fit in a circle (unless the size is right) and you've got to make your peace with that. I've lived most of my life without the vocabulary of MBTI, and didn't even come across it until my late thirties. The construct of my identity has not been influenced by MBTI, MBTI includes a vocabulary that allows me to communicate aspects of my identity to those who are familiar with the terminology without having to explain what a J preference is for example.

If anything, it's young people who learn about MBTI and allow it to shape how they develop who need this advice.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    Oh, I have certainly tried throughout my life. Sometimes a square just doesn't fit in a circle (unless the size is right) and you've got to make your peace with that. I've lived most of my life without the vocabulary of MBTI, and didn't even come across it until my late thirties. The construct of my identity has not been influenced by MBTI, MBTI includes a vocabulary that allows me to communicate aspects of my identity to those who are familiar with the terminology without having to explain what a J preference is for example.

If anything, it's young people who learn about MBTI and allow it to shape how they develop who need this advice.
    oh yeah, i agree. mbti isn't a great tool for figuring out "who you are" but that's definitely a really easy trap to fall into for young people.

most sensible people though would grow out of that i think (hope).
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    most sensible people though would grow out of that i think (hope).
    Well I never grew out of Astrology which is confirmed nonsense, so probably no hope for me.

I'm always going to be interested in systems that try to describe human psychology, with the understanding that they are all imperfect.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    Well I never grew out of Astrology which is confirmed nonsense, so probably no hope for me.

I'm always going to be interested in systems that try to describe human psychology, with the understanding that they are all imperfect.
    i do think astrology is fun and i know enough about western and asian systems to talk casually about it, but i'll never get the diehards.

i stand by what i've said elsewhere on this forum, that mbti is just astrology for nerds, so you're good, haha.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD