Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Recommendations

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP

Movie Recommendations

So, originally this thread was ALL ABOUT ME and intended to be movie recommendations for me, but it has since evolved into something else.

Recommended to me and acquired
    American Psycho
    The Ballad Of Narayama
    Barry Lyndon
    Best Kept Secret
    Burden Of Dreams
    Dallas Buyers Club
    Days Of Being Wild
    Don't Look Now
    Fata Morgana
    First Cousin Once Removed
    For A Few Dollars More
    The Grand Budapest Hotel
    Ilo Ilo
    In The Mood For Love
    Psycho
    Revanche
    The Selfish Giant
    Shortbus
    Signs Of Life
    Stalker
    Still Life
    Stroszek
    Synecdoche, New York
    The Terror Live
    The Third Man
    The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada
    To Live And Die In LA
    Wheel of Time
    The Wild Blue Yonder

Recommended to me but not yet acquired
    The FP
    Incendies
    LA Plays Itself
    Centurion
    The 13th Warrior
    Valhalla Rising
    Last edited by notdavidlynch; 10-15-2014 at 06:20 AM.

Type
    xxxx
    i'm afraid you'll pretend to like wong kar wai. or todd solondz. so idk

Type
    INXP
    I genuinely loved Happiness. I screened it here and no one showed up. Got a couple of e-mails saying that I was a weirdo and warning me not to screen it.

Type
    xxxx
    have you seen in the mood for love or chungking express yet? i think happy together is my fav, though.

i'd watch welcome to the dollhouse before palindromes. it doesn't matter that much but it does come first.

Type
    INXP
    Already seen Dollhouse. I'm just going to watch all of these movies next.

Type
    intp
    Had enough of vampire movies? Maybe not.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I don't understand why people even still remember that Zardoz exists, let alone that there's anyone in the world who would think it's a good movie.

I don't even understand how drugs would make it more interesting, although that's clearly something the filmmakers were banking on. (Maybe they thought this because they were on so many drugs.)

I assure you that Sean Connery only wears that hilarious bondage outfit for like the first 10 minutes. After that it's all boring hippie bullshit about something or other. It's like a Monty Python movie where everything amusingly incoherent was replaced with something that is just incoherent and dull.

The last really good movie I saw was The FP. I've rewatched some clips and they still make me laugh pretty hard. Might not be your thing, but I'd highly recommend it if you appreciate deconstruction/"meta" type comedy. The main selling point is the fake slang, and second to that are the misanthropic digs at the self-importance of youth subcultures--it's like a Leslie Nielsen spoof of A Clockwork Orange, as much as it's a more obvious riff on exploitation films like The Warriors.

It's really hard for movies to make me laugh. This one made me laugh really hard, over and over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post
    I don't understand why people even still remember that Zardoz exists
    Dear Sir,

Are you honestly seeking to minimise the advent if the mankini in all of its unshaven and tenuously plot-pointed glory?
    If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post
    I assure you that Sean Connery only wears that hilarious bondage outfit for like the first 10 minutes. After that it's all boring hippie bullshit about something or other. It's like a Monty Python movie where everything amusingly incoherent was replaced with something that is just incoherent and dull.
    True enough, but those first 10 minutes are awesome. Everything after that is kind of like what you describe, actually.

The last really good movie I saw was The FP. I've rewatched some clips and they still make me laugh pretty hard. Might not be your thing, but I'd highly recommend it if you appreciate deconstruction/"meta" type comedy. The main selling point is the fake slang, and second to that are the misanthropic digs at the self-importance of youth subcultures--it's like a Leslie Nielsen spoof of A Clockwork Orange, as much as it's a more obvious riff on exploitation films like The Warriors.
    This movie is great. It uplifted my spirits when the ducks came back. I thought it was funny the way they handled the romantic subplot, too.

Type
    INTP
    Have you seen Incendies? It would be in my list of top films from the past couple of years. I'm having trouble remembering what else I've watched recently though. I must be getting old or something.

I dunno if you want doc recommendations but again from the past couple of years, I really enjoyed Jiro Dreams of Sushi and The Interrupters.