Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NAACP leader pretending to be black (a news article that needs it's own thread)

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

NAACP leader pretending to be black (a news article that needs it's own thread)

Quote Originally Posted by ent View Post
    holy shit this is hilarious but also pretty sad

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I'm not black, but I don't think a white person should be in that post, even if she weren't lying about her race.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I'm not black, but I don't think a white person should be in that post, even if she weren't lying about her race.
    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/en/doc/...ent_294229.htm

I think we put a little too much emphasis on racial identity here in the US. The above article is a black man who found out he has no African ancestry. Most white people in the south do have a little (because if you could pass as a white person in the South 200 years ago, you probably did just that and never said a word to anyone about it on pain of death.) Then there's the white supremacist who found out he's 14 percent Subsaharan ... which is a higher percentage than a great many black people -- http://www.buzzfeed.com/tracyclayton...ack#.lkr0O9eOD
    Race in America has always been at least in part about how you identify yourself, and a great many people of mixed race have at least some choice as to how they identify. Where do we draw the line on where that is acceptable? If this NAACP woman submits to a genetic test and we find out she's 20 percent, does it become ok for her to say she's black? What about 5 percent?

If you are a male who identifies as female or vise versa, in many places you are permitted to do so. Would a transgendered woman be permitted to lead a chapter of NOW if she had the skills and was willing to donate the time?

The woman we are talking about here appears to have made up a bunch of racial threats...that's fucked up. And she lied. If she wants to perm her hair so she looks more like her siblings and children and doesn't have to put up with idiots gawking like 2 members of the same family having differing skin colors is some sort of freak show, then I can understand why she might want to do that, but if someone asks, she should say that's what she is doing. In a way, the fact that changing her hair was enough to convince people she's black is just more proof that race is a stupid way to judge people.

I had a black roommate in college who had been raised by white parents in a zip code where she was the only black person. (random roommate assignment ... though we were the only mixed race roomies randomly assigned to each other. She sounded white on the phone or I sounded black on the phone I guess) She was eager to experience black culture and was so pissed about getting a white roommate she cried. ("I have to live with a white girl. Oh hell no." .... followed by waterworks)
    She told everyone who would listen that I was racist.
    Exibit A: I left a note saying I was headed to Tuskegee National Forest and that if I didn't return in a couple of days, that's where to look for me. Her reasoning: Tuskegee University (which is over 20 miles away from the forest) is predominantly black and I wouldn't have left the note if I wasn't afraid of black people.
    Exibit B: I took her rubberized bath mat out of the dryer before it was completely dry in order to dry my own clothes. Her reasoning: I believed that the white person in the apartment got priority over the black person. (yes, she said that) Reality: The rubber smelled like it was melting in the dryer. She wasn't there, so I took it out for her and laid it out over a towel rack to dry. I wasn't even doing laundry.

Etc. Really everything I did was interpreted this way. I got along with all her black friends. They told me they thought she was crazy. But she was also going around telling white people I was racist, and you can imagine how that came across with twenty-something college students. I had black people at work telling me in the break room that she'd been going around telling people I was some sort of KKK person. Of course I'd been working there for years and the funny thing was, none of my black coworkers believed it...though a few of the more liberal white ones distanced themselves, and some of the racist white ones started speaking more freely in front of me...and let me tell you...spew...racism is alive and well in the South.

And I bring all this up because she totally reminds me of this NAACP woman. I think it's a form of Munchhausen by proxy. My roommate really enjoyed the sympathy and camaraderie she got when she could tell people about this terrible situation she was in. Never mind that it wasn't real and had the potential to destroy my life. I will not be one tiny bit surprised if we find out much of what happened to this NAACP woman is similar. Which sucks. There is plenty of real racist behavior out there. This is going to sidetrack the real issue. Which is that we attribute behavior too much to race and not enough to things that matter...like mental illness for example. If this woman has Munchhausen by proxy, get her into counseling before she hurts anyone.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/en/doc/...ent_294229.htm

I think we put a little too much emphasis on racial identity here in the US. The above article is a black man who found out he has no African ancestry. Most white people in the south do have a little (because if you could pass as a white person in the South 200 years ago, you probably did just that and never said a word to anyone about it on pain of death.) Then there's the white supremacist who found out he's 14 percent Subsaharan ... which is a higher percentage than a great many black people -- http://www.buzzfeed.com/tracyclayton...ack#.lkr0O9eOD
    Race in America has always been at least in part about how you identify yourself, and a great many people of mixed race have at least some choice as to how they identify. Where do we draw the line on where that is acceptable? If this NAACP woman submits to a genetic test and we find out she's 20 percent, does it become ok for her to say she's black? What about 5 percent?
    I recognize I don't have the sophistication you guys do when discussing race, but the issue in this case is very simple to me. If you grew up being white (and there are pictures of her at an adult age, still with white skin and blond hair), then you haven't had a black experience, you haven't been subject to the same discrimination or been presented with their choices in life. You haven't lived life as a black person. It's not the same as a transgendered person leading a feminist organization - to me, this is more like a straight man leading a feminist organization, which I would also find indefensible.

How black is black? Well, this is kind of simple to me too. You're black if you are regarded, socially, as black, with all that this implies. How long was this woman black? How easy is it for her to go back to being white, if she wanted to?

From the lens of social privilege - this time about rich and poor - the following song comes to mind.

Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTx
    Haha you're in favor of race-based discrimination against whites in filling that position, which would be counter to the mission of the NAACP.

The mission of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is to ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate race-based discrimination.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Haha you're in favor of race-based discrimination against whites in filling that position, which would be counter to the mission of the NAACP.
    Yeah, you don't have a clue what political empowerment is if you don't understand that an oppressed group has to lead its own organizations.

Type
    INTx
    Yeah, you don't have a clue what political empowerment is if you don't understand that an oppressed group has to lead its own organizations.
    I know: that the NAACP was formed by blacks and whites; that the NAACP is supported by people in many identity groups; that you don't have to be a member of identity group X to lead advocacy for members of group X; and that it would be hypocritical and narrow minded for the NAACP to reserve its leadership positions exclusively for blacks.

Do you need to have come from a lower class background to serve as a leader in the dictatorship of the proletariat?

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    There are some interesting parallels to be drawn with trans women leading feminist groups.

Type
    INTP
    What if she was really good at the job? </DevilsAdvocate>
    "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is reality. Your cries do not move me." -- Sistamatic

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I recognize I don't have the sophistication you guys do when discussing race, but the issue in this case is very simple to me. If you grew up being white (and there are pictures of her at an adult age, still with white skin and blond hair), then you haven't had a black experience, you haven't been subject to the same discrimination or been presented with their choices in life. You haven't lived life as a black person. It's not the same as a transgendered person leading a feminist organization - to me, this is more like a straight man leading a feminist organization, which I would also find indefensible.

How black is black? Well, this is kind of simple to me too. You're black if you are regarded, socially, as black, with all that this implies. How long was this woman black? How easy is it for her to go back to being white, if she wanted to?

From the lens of social privilege - this time about rich and poor - the following song comes to mind.
    I'm not sure if it is this way in other countries, but in the US, a white woman with black kids is more reviled and degraded by racists than a black person. She is lower than a whore in the eyes of white supremacists. Everyone who sees her with her kids will assume she is a single mother whether she is or not, and many will assume she's a crack whore or something along those lines. I have seen people curl their lips up in disgust when they see white women with black kids. I have been the recipient of it when I'm with other people's black children. I bet she understands discrimination just fine.

Her lack of qualification in my eyes comes from her inability to tell the truth and her apparent propensity for making up racist threats. I see a woman with a lot of issues who needs counseling. I'm also sort of appalled at her parents for informing the media. Just wow. No wonder she doesn't identify as a member of their tribe.

If the NAACP decides to appoint a qualified (unlike this woman) white person as a chapter leader, who the hell are any of us to say they shouldn't. Finding qualified AND enthusiastic people to lead non-profits can't be easy. Given two equally qualified candidates, I'd probably go with the minority, but a white woman who'd married a black man and raised black children in the US is probably qualified to understand many of the issues facing black people today. She has a dog in that fight.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle