Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilderness Race

Type
    XXXX

Wilderness Race

Context: I'm at my parents home and need to keep my brain occupied.

Here's what I'm planning, when I return to my home I'll start a 70 mile wilderness race to a select location and back. 4 person teams: 2 girls, 2 guys. Each person must start with a 60 pound pack, but weight can be redistributed. Also, off trail, only a map and compass for navigation. Losers buy beer.

I wish I'd brought my maps with me, because I'd actually mark a spot. I know a couple people who would be interested, and I can post flyers to drum up some more. It could be a early Thursday or Friday through Sunday event. If a couple people carried a go-pro or cameras for the first race, following ones could be promoted online. There are local outdoor stores which would sponsor, I'm sure.

Anyway, it would be fun to train for-- something to set my mind and look forward to.

Type
    INTP
    That sounds fun! And I guess they'd have to take a photo at the goal to prove they made it, right? Or something like a hidden clue?

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    That sounds fun! And I guess they'd have to take a photo at the goal to prove they made it, right? Or something like a hidden clue?
    Yep, exactly. One of those ways is what I was thinking.

Type
    ENTP
    That sounds really cool. If I were fit enough to do something like this, I'd consider it.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Polemarch View Post
    That sounds really cool. If I were fit enough to do something like this, I'd consider it.
    It would be in Montana. If or when it happens, I'll post dates. You can always start training and bring a team . It would also require the right gear, which I can post a list of, and some basic back country skills. Mainly, navigation. 70 miles is a lot off ground to cover in the mountains, but I don't think it'd be beyond most people to do in under four days, if they spend a few months preparing.

Type
    ENTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Makers!* View Post
    You can always start training and bring a team .
    I'm reeeeeally far off Like, maybe if this happens next year, it can be a goal of mine to be able to participate. I've always wanted to be someone who'd be capable of something like that, even when I've been generally dismissive of other endurance type events; this sounds more like man conquering nature and enjoying nature.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Polemarch View Post
    I'm reeeeeally far off Like, maybe if this happens next year, it can be a goal of mine to be able to participate. I've always wanted to be someone who'd be capable of something like that, even when I've been generally dismissive of other endurance type events; this sounds more like man conquering nature and enjoying nature.
    Right on. Maybe it will gain momentum and continue for a few years down the road. In that event, I'll keep you posted.

Type
    intp
    I'd be interested in something like that, sounds like fun.

Type
    XXXX
    I want to march until I'm dead.

Type
    xxxx
    this sounds cool! i'd be interested in seeing pix and following along once you get this started.