Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MMOs + Games.

Type
    INTP

MMOs + Games.

I play WoW, when my wrists don't hurt.
    I also like Guild Wars.

And something that I did not expect to like, but really enjoy are Hidden Object games. I go through 1 every two days. I am crap at anything else unless it's atariesque or old school like NES.

What do you play?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Aven View Post
    I also like Guild Wars.
    I played WoW for a few years. I think I went back a bit for Lich King when that came out, then quit (although I did their free up-to-20 demo earlier this year for a little). I am disappointed to see where they went with their system, but oh well.

my first MMO was City of Heroes, which I did love. It was just pretty cool to be able to fly (or super leap). I was sad when they shut it down last year, unexpectedly. The game had been around about eight years. I went and played the last hour the servers were up.

- City of Heroes [unique system]
    - Lineage 2
    - EQII
    - WoW [kind of the baseline]
    - The Matrix (only a month)
    - Tera [Prettiest game, some of the suckiest gameplay]
    - Rift [PUG Raids + skill improvement still exists in upper levels]
    - SWTOR [light/darkside ratings + individual narrative quest lines]
    - The Secret World [skill wheel + the setting/ambiance; unfortunately, graphics are outdated]

The only one I actively play right now is SWTOR, currently leveling my Imperial Agent. I finished the storylines for the Sith Marauder and the Jedi Guardian.

Played LOTS of stuff since I got my first computer in 1991, and I actually was playing Zork 1-3, Adventure, Wizardry 1-3, Ultimate 1-4, Nethack, and Moria on pre-PC systems and on the college mainframes in the 80's.

I like RPGs and adventure games the most. I do also occasionally like playing through Need for Speed titles. Currently playing Tomb Raider (March 2013) and The Walking Dead: Episode 1.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Aven View Post
    I also like Guild Wars.

And something that I did not expect to like, but really enjoy are Hidden Object games. I go through 1 every two days. I am crap at anything else unless it's atariesque or old school like NES.

What do you play?
    I played WoW from the beginning of Burning Crusade until the end of Lich King -- Raided casually in Cataclysm. I dumped a good portion of my late teens in that game (raiding 4+ hours a night, 5 days a week), and cleared almost all the end-game content before the newest expansion (Black Temple + Up to M'uru in Sunwell before patch, and 11/12 Hard Mode 25-man in Lich King before the patch).

I enjoyed raiding because of the challenges, but I really missed the boat when it came to the establishing personal connections and shared experiences aspect of MMOs, partly because I resented most people that played and partly because I just wanted to play the game and just in general wasn't like most people just looking for an alternative social outlet -- I was the guy in the guild who showed up, didn't talk, did my job, and left immediately once the raid was over, occasionally, when the social mood struck, coming out with a random, unrelated outburst to create a sense of dissonance among st the up-tight guild leaders).

Long story short, my adventure came to an end after years of class homogenization a sudden nihilistic epiphany, realizing that I was spending hours and hours of my life on gathering gear that would become obsolete, other than for aesthetic value, mere minutes after the launch of a new expansion.

Type
    INTP
    I personally view MMOs as a tragic, inexcusable blight, but that aside... To me, RPG means IRL, social, interactive. MMO just means... *disgust omitted*

Of console/pc "roleplaying" games, I prefer the single-player, open world, third-person variety. Sadly, there are few options among games of that sort which don't meet with my disapproval on other grounds. And so, I'm left to play GTA as the closest but not-even-really closest thing. Or I retreat to other third-person action-adventure games, just to scratch that edge of the itch. The most recent Tomb Raider (2013) almost fit the bill, as such.

Otherwise, I stick to dice and friends.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    I personally view MMOs as a tragic, inexcusable blight, but that aside... To me, RPG means IRL, social, interactive. MMO just means... *disgust omitted*
    TBH, I end up playing MMOs nowadays as single player, and I never did raid, really. It seems like a huge waste of time to acquire an array of virtual treasures that are essentially worthless as the game continues.

I did have some fun grouping, though, with people I liked. It was kind of a rush for those games where people had to play their specialized roles well in order to succeed, rather than just buttonmash. I assume most team sports would feel that way.

Type
    INTP
    I admit to a certain sort of stereotyped thinking in my disgust for MMOs, but it is also true that that is just the superficial part layered on the core distaste (which has a deeper origin). Anyhow, to each their own.

I once -- exactly once -- played World of Warcraft back when a friend of mine setup a private server (don't know if that's even still possible anymore, etc). I spend a few nights just ambling around the landscape, messing with stuff. I liked the open-world of it, I kinda saw some of what others might see.

Then I went over and watched some friends play the game for real, like MMO style. Dear god, my eyes still burn and my mind still reels, heh.

To each their own, in the end.

Type
    INTP
    ROFL. Wish I coulda seen that.

One of my favorite parts of WoW was trying to squeeze through gaps in the landscape mapping, to either scramble up to areas the designers didn't expect you to go, or clip through and end up in a different zone. or just to find abandoned buildings or see some pretty amazing sunset / view graphics.

I'm more an Explorer type of gamer, in Bartle's framework.

Rift actually rewards this, there are various artifacts that you can collect to turn in for rewards, and besides the easy drop points around the various maps, there's some areas (and even some achievements) you can find by getting into unexpected places. You just don't know it until you find them.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Charde View Post
    The only one I actively play right now is SWTOR, currently leveling my Imperial Agent. I finished the storylines for the Sith Marauder and the Jedi Guardian.
    I've never played a MMORPG, but I loved both KOTOR games. Would you recommend it for someone like me?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I've never played a MMORPG, but I loved both KOTOR games. Would you recommend it for someone like me?
    Well, you can solo quest everything up through level 50+ (instead of grouping), and each class has its own storyline just like SWKOTOR 1&2. You also have darkside/lightside points, just like SWKOTOR 1&2.

And you collect a total of five companions as your narrative line proceeds, and you can adventure with any of them. They will level with you regardless of whether you play with them or not (they are whatever level you are), but you need to upgrade their armor, and they will gain/lose affection for you just like in SWKOTOR 1&2 depending on which one you have with you when you're making dialogue choices.

So yes, I think for this particular game, if you liked SWKOTOR 1&2, you'll find a lot more of the same here. The MMO aspect you might not be used to is skill trees, which is probably similar to the SWKOTOR 1&2 powers, but far more extensive (it's pretty similar to the Rift skill trees). It's basically SWKOTOR 3 IMO.

Each story (as you level to 50) has three acts. So far my favorite storyline was the Sith Marauder -- if you want to be very evil, you can be very damned evil and do some pretty wicked stuff in the storyline, destroying the lives of Jedis, subverting their apprentices, etc. It's pretty awesome. But I do appreciate that they have actually made other storylines interesting as well. The Imperial Agent (where I'm basically a sniper) has some great espionage quests and plotlines; it's like playing a spy/intelligent agent in a Star Wars setting. The cool thing is that you can play Sith classes (normally dark side) as if you were light side, and vice versa.

Did you ever play the user-finished version of SWKOTOR 2? What they released when it went on the market back in 2005/6 was incomplete, which you might have noticed -- the story got pretty rough at the end. Users went into the code over a number of years, free, and restored sections of the game that had been dumped due to not meeting release date. The ending is far more coherent. You should be able to find a patch somewhere online that would let you play the "full" version of the game, if you look around.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Charde View Post
    Did you ever play the user-finished version of SWKOTOR 2? What they released when it went on the market back in 2005/6 was incomplete, which you might have noticed -- the story got pretty rough at the end. Users went into the code over a number of years, free, and restored sections of the game that had been dumped due to not meeting release date. The ending is far more coherent. You should be able to find a patch somewhere online that would let you play the "full" version of the game, if you look around.
    I had an Xbox, so I never tried getting the hacks for the PC, but I read extensively about them. Shame they rushed development so much to get it out on time. I'd have waited for the full thing. I wanna see the droid planet/factory!

So you can play SWTOR without a guild or other people? I'm a very solitary player.