Thread: How the fuck is this magic trick done?

Type
    XXXX

Question How the fuck is this magic trick done?

(the actual trick starts 3 minutes in, if you are too lazy to watch the whole thing, which I know you are, because you probably have to go post ).

How in Houdini's nutsack did he do that?

This guy is clearly a wizard and he's just fucking with us muggles, right? Right? Okay, seriously though, I usually have a pretty good idea how magic tricks are done, but I have no idea on this one. Any ideas?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    No idea, and I've seen him do it in person.

Type
    INTP
    Definitely some switchery going on at 4:40

...but the rest, I've no idea.

Formerly PiccoloNamek Lunar Delta's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Around 4:41 is the pivotal moment, IMO. I am very familiar with sleight of hand and card palming. His hands were doing all sorts of dirty work. Always watch the hands.

Type
    INTP
    I've been researching it a bit. Yes, there's card palming going on (and obviously a deck palm).

One of the things I can't yet figure out is that I can't see a card force going on, Penn shuffles the deck a number of times and even when it's spread out, he can pick any card... and since he's used to card forces, it's pretty much assured he'll pick an unexpected card.

Which isn't a big deal to get it into the new deck, necessarily, but how can the magician slip it in blind to the exact right place (while removing the corresponding card) in the new deck, if he has no idea what the card is going to be to start with? It's almost a given that s/he knows the card is going to be, isn't it, so the deck can be doctored properly ahead of time?

Arrg.

EDIT: Looks like you can buy the trick here (to do yourself), for $25, if you are going nuts.
    http://www.artecoproductions.com/sig...jardonnet.html

Type
    INTP
    The classic method of getting around card forces--which is to say, to not use them, is to have multiple preparations. That's a conspicuously ill fitting suit he's wearing, he could well have 52 decks stashed on him.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    xNxx
    I think he pulls the deck when Penn tells him it's the seven of diamonds and he says "you could not have picked a more perfect card." Then, like people mentioned, he switches the deck around 4:40.