Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visual Arts, Design, Culture Dump

Type
    xxxx

Visual Arts, Design, Culture Dump

in the spirit of "[thing] that doesn't deserve its own thread" and "historical fragments," this thread is for dumping interesting, informative, eye-opening, etc. links and stuff you come across relating to visual arts & design culture/history-whateverz that you wanna bookmark/save but don't wanna clutter your crap with.

----------

came across this about the US govt-sponsored federal art project, which links to a bunch of these posters you can see online.

http://www.printmag.com/posters/wpa-...he-government/

By Jeannie Friedman
    Originally published in PRINT XXXII:IV, July/August 1978

From 1935 until the early 40s, the project produced 35,000 poster designs created by scores of unemployed artists who were kept alive and working with government stipends. But eventually, the political ax fell.

It isnít often that the poster flourishes as art and good graphic design enjoys public appreciation and awareness as well as government support. One such time was the troubled 1930s when the Federal Art Project was sponsored under the umbrella of the Works Progress Administration.

Little has been written or said about the WPA Poster Project and the two million silk-screened posters and 35,000 original designs that it produced in studios across the country between 1935 and 1942. Nor has there been discussion of the major innovation wrought in graphic design by the WPA Poster Project: government sponsorship of commercial artists as a group.

By 1938, the New York City Poster Project alone, which employed only about 50 artists, had produced a total of 306,472 prints from 11,240 original designs. At its peak, the New York City division of the Federal Art Project employed 2,323 artists in a variety of activities, including mural and easel painting, graphics and printmaking, sculpture, photography and poster design. The project provided jobs for thousands of unemployed artists during the Depression. These artists also taught classes across the country in community art centers and neighborhood houses.

Today, the original WPA posters designed by those artists are buried in the basement of the Library of Congress, categorized according to state and rarely pulled from their bins. They present a vivid historical record of the 1930s, documenting the various public programs of the federal government. By publicizing the activities of various state, city and federal agencies, they announce safety rules, promote obedience to the law, and advocate prenatal care, noise abatement, visiting the local library, and prevention of syphilis. In addition, they record a time of change in American graphic design.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Art_Project

The Federal Art Project (1935Ė43) was a New Deal program to fund the visual arts in the United States. Under national director Holger Cahill, it was one of five Federal Project Number One projects sponsored by the Works Progress Administration, and the largest of the New Deal art projects. It was created not as a cultural activity but as a relief measure to employ artists and artisans to create murals, easel paintings, sculpture, graphic art, posters, photography, theatre scenic design, and arts and crafts. The WPA Federal Art Project established more than 100 community art centers throughout the country, researched and documented American design, commissioned a significant body of public art without restriction to content or subject matter, and sustained some 10,000 artists and craft workers during the Great Depression.

Type
    INFP

Type
    xxxx
    american jazz album covers in the '50s & '60s
    http://www.printmag.com/design-cultu...50s-and-1960s/

^ i rly appreciate pieces like this. i should probz read more printmag but my internet attention span lol.

cool websites:

www.artofthetitle.com
    archive of classic - contemporary film title sequences w/ interviews, list of designers & studios, etc.

www.designishistory.com
    general graphic design history. important names and movements to know.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    http://www.printmag.com/design-cultu...50s-and-1960s/

^ i rly appreciate pieces like this. i should probz read more printmag but my internet attention span lol.
    Disney has gone through something of a classic revival behind the scenes and does a metric ton of preliminary design the "cartoon modern" styling. It's a superlative technique for quickly getting down a host of artistic factors, moods, shapes, motion. Their stuff from the 50's and 60's is brilliant but nigh impossible to find, and they did some amazing animation to jazz music if you can dig it up.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    These are something I completely geek out for! Here some I think are iconic that weren't in the link. (All great albums btw)

Spoiler: Mucho pics

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    Xxxx

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I have a thing for early-20th century Modernism. (An umbrella term I'm using to encompass a bunch of interrelated movements like Expressionism, Dada, Cubism, Surrealism, Art Deco, Futurism, etc.)

It's not like I've seen all 50 of them--so feel free to correct me here--but I think Oregon might have the coolest state capitol building in the entire United States.

It was built in 1936 and represents basically an Art Deco riff on the classic dome design commonly used for government buildings in the US.

I actually remember the first time I ever went there--having never seen a photo of it, believe it or not--and kind of geeking out a little when I saw it. ("Wait, that's the state capitol? This state is officially awesome."

I also came across this a while back and thought it was pretty cool (also from 1936):

I'm not even a big motorcycle person, but if I owned one of those I might become one.

I like a lot of Max Ernst's paintings.

La Ville Entiere (1935):

Celebes (1921):

Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    xxxx
    (sorry, posting from phone)

Quote Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
    Disney has gone through something of a classic revival behind the scenes and does a metric ton of preliminary design the "cartoon modern" styling. It's a superlative technique for quickly getting down a host of artistic factors, moods, shapes, motion. Their stuff from the 50's and 60's is brilliant but nigh impossible to find, and they did some amazing animation to jazz music if you can dig it up.
    cool, i really like the style of classic disney animations. i wanna learn more about "cartoon modern" (never studied animation history, so never heard this term before). this is something new for me to research! when you say animation to jazz music what pops into my head first is the title sequence for 101 dalmations. so memorable, it's one of my favs

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    These are something I completely geek out for! Here some I think are iconic that weren't in the link. (All great albums btw)

Spoiler: Mucho pics

yay!! (lol) just always think it's interesting when graphic design & music intersect as fantastic cover design and when the history is fleshed out a little more. yeah the jazz covers are so iconic. blue note & reid miles in particular gets a lot of attention (in the few graphic design classes i've taken).

Quote Originally Posted by Animals View Post
    <333

instagram is just the best art sharing (non-portfolio) platform imo.

some more design links, cuz this is the best/worst time sink if you're like me.

BOOK/PRINT
    www.thebookdesignblog.com
    www.bookcoverarchive.com
    www.50watts.com

^ illustration blogs are such a hit or miss for me, idk why, but i like this one. edit: i think cuz it's one area where i'm more sure of what i like.

PACKAGING. no shit, i love looking at great packaging.
    www.thedieline.com

(btw, for anyone following my soaping adventure, i did design my own packaging to fit a single "test" bar, but i don't have the budget to actually produce anything like it right now.)
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 07-08-2015 at 03:30 AM.

Type
    INFP
    [IMG]What are your favorite bills and/or coin? I like this bill from Suriname: And this Burmuda Five (yeah yeah yeah, more animals) The Kerguelen Islands tend to have cats on their money Oddly shaped coins are also the wind beneath my wings. Somalia is the captain of issuing unusual coins now. And something old Something new Something borrowed Something blue [/IMG]

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    ^^^ The Italian Euro.

Heaven, symbolized by the Circle
    and Earth, symbolized by the Square
    are unified in the dimensions of Humanity.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein