Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How have you changed in the last ten years?

Pan_Sonic_000

How have you changed in the last ten years?

Just curious.

Type
    INTP
    Less defensive, more honest (in a less brutal way), more emotionally available to have meaningful friendships, less afraid of setting boundaries and not taking on other people's feelings if they don't like it, less focused on what I "should" be doing, and adjusting my timeline to fit who I am as a person, less on my age (and that of my peers).

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Yes. Very much, and yet, not that much. It's hard to quantify.

I'd say I've become less tolerant of intrusion but more patient, less pleasing and more self-interested, but more compassionate and aware--and more of a shut in because I can't fucking stand being around the public.

I've become a substantially less exploitable employee.

I've become more even keeled--but when angered, it's much more condensed and potent--like trading in fire on stick for uranium in a lead box.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    Since I was, what, 22?

Oh, Jesus. Let's just say "a lot".

(That was a really bad phase of my life.)

I wonder what I would think of that guy if I met him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    Not that much, really. I think I did most of my adult changing between the ages of 25 and 27. 10 years ago I would have been 28. I think the biggest change since 28 is that I'm a lot less ambitious than I was back then, and have become much better at understanding other people and responding to them in the manner expected by society. That's not to say I've become more empathetic. If anything I've probably become less empathetic, or maybe just more apathetic, but I tend to realize what people want or expect from me and if it's no skin off my back I give it to them. I also take more risks and am less afraid of failure.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    First of all I don't change my mind about anything.

But I'm less dogmatic, more introverted, less shy, more sure of what I don't want, less sure of what I want, more sensitive, a little less intelligent, more afraid, more idealistic, less patient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    XXXX
    I'm simultaneously a much harder and much softer individual. Sometimes I feel immense empathy for other's suffering, and I think the world's going to hell, but it's noone's fault, because most people are trying to do the best they can, and I see the the youth's future, the kids I'm supposed to teach, and I see my future. It all sucks. And I internalize this, which sends me into states of deep depression. Then, to get out, I tell myself to harden the fuck up, that this world wasn't made for the weak-kneed, and we weren't promised a goddamn thing. So, I become calloused and stop empathizing and caring completely. I've always been a moody person, but ten years ago I never thought this way. It was more, let's get fucked up, and why can't I get laid? That's how I've changed.
    Last edited by Makers!*; 06-28-2015 at 03:59 AM.
    "Long live the weeds and the wilderness!"

Type
    INTP
    This question depresses me. Ten years ago I moved to a different state and started my current job. So in many ways I've been doing the same thing for the past 10 yrs. I don't think I'm quite the same person. But still. Thinking about this just makes me wonder what I've done with the past 10 yrs.

Type
    INXX
    I hated me when I was he and I still hate him now that I'm me. I like me approximately 10 times more than I like he. I would gladly kick he in the jimmy.
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

Type
    INXX
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLatch View Post
    I hated me when I was he and I still hate him now that I'm me. I like me approximately 10 times more than I like he. I would gladly kick he in the jimmy.
    My transition from he to me began in August- almost 10 years ago. The 6th I think.
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.