Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Positive World Trends

Type
    XXXX

Positive World Trends

Sometimes I feel inundated with so much negative shit I have to seek positive things out to maintain an equilibrium that allows me to remain at all productive. So, without further ado....

I present an academic summary from a reputable institute. Its claim? Nature Rebounds

And also, there's Pinker. Not someone I necessarily agree with 100% of the time, but he has some good things to say nonetheless.

Feel free to add your own positive contributions.
    Last edited by Makers!*; 06-28-2015 at 08:34 PM.

Type
    XXXX
    NASA climate scientist and AGW supporter, Gavin Schmidt, says the chance of human extinction from a massive release of Arctic methane in the near future is not likely. That's pretty good, I'd say.

Much Ado About Methane

Ok, last one for now. Israel managed to adapt to its debilitating drought and still increase its economy.

Water revolution in Israel Overcomes Any Threat of Drought

Type
    XXXX
    The U.S., Brazil and China All Set Major Climate Goals

The day started with a bilateral commitment between President Obama and his Brazilian counterpart, President Dilma Rousseff, on clean energy. Capping two days of discussions, the two leaders announced that their countries will aim to get 20 percent of their electricity from non-hydropower renewables by 2030. The exclusion of hydropower is notable because of it can be a major source of methane emissions.
    Brazil also agreed to restore nearly 30 million acres of forests. That’s only a portion of the 148 million acres of deforestation that have happened in Brazil since 1970, but still represents a major climate benefit given tropical forests’ ability to sequester carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere
    China will peak its greenhouse gas emissions by 2030,
    I hope it's enough. Five months until major climate talks in Paris.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Apparently the global Jewish population has just now finally rebounded to pre-Holocaust levels. (Partly due to counting factors--increasing willingness to identify with the label and stats that include people who identify as mixed-ethnicity.)

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...els?CMP=twt_gu

I'll drink to that-- Fuck You, Concept of Genocide.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    XXXX
    Iran nuclear deal shifts mideast tectonic plates

Iran and a United States-led consortium of the world’s top powers have achieved a historic agreement that should keep Iran from developing nuclear weapons for at least a decade and potentially lay the basis for broader cooperation on the multiple crises roiling the Middle East.

Type
    INTP
    Sort of positive depending where you live... Penn Study - Some US States Reducing Opiate Overdose Deaths

Size of problem in US

Type
    INTP
    It's an illusion,

• Life expectancy is up, Mozart and Schubert died in their 30's which was common.
    • As Pinker says violence has been declining for millennia.
    • Think you're poor? Take a look at Gap Minder. Easy to follow, run the data from 1800 to the present. You have more wealth than the richest person on the earth a mere 100 years ago, heck the poorest person today has more wealth than the richest king in 1800.

Information is wealth. I grew up when information was scarce. Either it was too much (academic information in a book I got from driving to a University Library) or too little (popular press). Now I can find exactly what I need on the internet, easily and quickly. The reason you feel bad is because you're not putting your advantages and wealth in perspective. One stupid little conflict in the world and people get depressed. Not long ago everybody was at war with everybody. Now some tribe gets upset in the middle east and people are down in their cups.

Get off of it! You're life is the best a human being could possibly have, for all of our existence on this planet.
    Last edited by Architect; 07-15-2015 at 05:55 PM.

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Architect View Post
    It's an illusion,

• Life expectancy is up, Mozart and Schubert died in their 30's which was common.
    • As Pinker says violence has been declining for millennia.
    • Think you're poor? Take a look at Gap Minder. Easy to follow, run the data from 1800 to the present. You have more wealth than the richest person on the earth a mere 100 years ago, heck the poorest person today has more wealth than the richest king in 1800.

Information is wealth. I grew up when information was scarce. Either it was too much (academic information in a book I got from driving to a University Library) or too little (popular press). Now I can find exactly what I need on the internet, easily and quickly. The reason you feel bad is because you're not putting your advantages and wealth in perspective. One stupid little conflict in the world and people get depressed. Not long ago everybody was at war with everybody. Now some tribe gets upset in the middle east and people are down in their cups.

Get off of it! You're life is the best a human being could possibly have, for all of our existence on this planet.
    I appreciate the facts provided, but it seems you're lecturing down to a person. My question: who is that person?

Type
    INTP
    [*]Think you're poor? Take a look at Gap Minder. Easy to follow, run the data from 1800 to the present. You have more wealth than the richest person on the earth a mere 100 years ago, heck the poorest person today has more wealth than the richest king in 1800. [/LIST]
    That's a very strange interpretation of the data. What that data shows is average income per person--en masse we have more wealth today than we did in the 1800's. That's a very different assertion than "The wealth of today's pauper outstrips that of past kings!". It doesn't mean that at all. That chart is artificially redistributing wealth. Accounting for the 1%, whom reputedly possess 40% of the nation's wealth causes the per-capita to drop from about 50k to about 30k, but if you account for the top 10%--removing their portion from the wealth and population, you're left with $14,283 per person.

I'll grant you, that's still more money per person than is noted in that chart, but there's a ton of other factors that are substantially different between now and then that I don't know how to account for off the top of my head. I just know that the measure you propose is clearly flawed and gives a very warped and inaccurate representation of things.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    XXXX
    . The reason you feel bad is because you're not putting your advantages and wealth in perspective. One stupid little conflict in the world and people get depressed. Not long ago everybody was at war with everybody. Now some tribe gets upset in the middle east and people are down in their cups.

Also, I generally object to the sentiment that any one person, through the internet, could break the subjective barrier of another person-- whom they have encountered in any single post— and react in such a way, as to assume they've knowingly reduced "the reason" they (the other person) feels "bad" is because of their lack of perspective on wealth or advantages or over a little war in the middle east, when quite clearly, there's no way the one person could have any idea what that other person has encountered or what they are going through. To assume so is ridiculous.

Also, the giant elephant in the room, which I'm trying to vacate in this thread and it also seems most positive out-lookers like pinker and all are trying to vacate from their perspective, is environmental sustainability. No one wants to mention it, because it's downright terrifying to consider the consequences that our objectively comfortable existence resulting from our divergence from nature might, or indeed, will have and is having on the ecosystem. But, you know, little we can do about, except maybe, pray the science leans more toward the skeptics side and that technology and our ingenuity will save us, as droughts and fires like we've never seen grip the west, and unseen downpours hit the Midwest, and so on, around the world.

...positive things.