Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Show me your Bees!

Type
    INTP

Show me your Bees!

Or other winged stinging insects. I want a tour of biomes as viewed by looking at things I ought to keep an eye out for if I were to ever find myself there.

All sorts of bees and wasps in particular. Show me your local colour!
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I am not very observant at telling apart the type of bees. Though there are quite a few here.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Wait, what? You want me to take the pics myself?! 'Winged stinging insects' are one of my biggest phobias.

Edit: Mosquitos don't count
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    I am not very observant at telling apart the type of bees. Though there are quite a few here.
    Don't worry about nomenclature. I just wanna see variation.

Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Wait, what? You want me to take the pics myself?! 'Winged stinging insects' are one of my biggest phobias.
    Awww.

Not that I blame you. They're legit scary, yo.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I found out I'm allergic a couple years ago, but I'm willing to experience it again. Getting stung by a bee on the face will always bee better that being stung by a wasp on the inner thigh.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLatch View Post
    I found out I'm allergic a couple years ago, but I'm willing to experience it again. Getting stung by a bee on the face will always bee better that being stung by a wasp on the inner thigh.
    Just bee friendly. Ask what the buzz is and do a little dance. Whatever you do, don't drone on. They don't like that.

My summer training has proven the value of a beard. Or at least a heavy mustache. I've already had a bumblebee bounce off it. Having been stung on the lip by a bumblebee before, I'm perfectly fine with not experiencing that again.

I had another one bounce off my chest today. Makes me a little nervous about the risk of them going up my shorts.

Seeing tons of bumbles lately.

Ever notice how different plants attract different types of stinging winged insects? Lavender gets bumbles more than any other type I've seen. Clover gets honey bees and bumbles. And there was some sort of ornamental flowering grass I saw at a Lowes that was attracting massive amounts of yellow-jackets. Definitely not what I'd want in my flower garden.

Type
    INTP
    My yard is full of clover, and bees...but they're awesome. My kid's been running around the yard barefoot since the snow melted, and no stings yet...not even an ornery bee that I've spotted...and I'm sure he's even stepped on 'em directly a few times...but he's small, so they probably have room in the grass to not get squished.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    You must wait for spring

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Nothing you probably haven't seen around here. (Minnesota)

Interestingly, Central America seemed to host multiple species of non-stinging bees/wasps. One type was quite large (I saw them up to 3 inches long), but apparently no stinger.

That was a novelty to me, more so because I'd also never personally encountered stinging/biting ants before, of which there are a plethora there.

It completely screwed my mental presets on "things to worry about/not worry about" vis-a-vis general insect classes for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I have pictures for you but it's going to take me a while to get to them. I'm quite busy at the moment. But here's one I posted on instagram a while ago:

There are a lot of these in London and they're massive, like easily the size of a quarter.