Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Survival

No Thank You
    Type
    INFP

Survival

You are in a forest. You're lost and abandoned here and you don't know when help will arrive. There's a dwindling creek nearby with minnows in it, and now and then you can see deer, rabbits, and vultures.

Also, there are bees with killer stings. There are bears too.

Edit: there are some strawberries growing here and there.

There's also going to be a lot of thunderstorms and trees might fall over.

Your possessions:
    Laptop charger
    Laptop (no internet access)
    Boarding Pass
    Cell Phone Charger
    Heavy Jacket
    Tampons (edit: 20 of these ones, plus the box: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9P77nMNDHc)
    Camera
    Book (what book would you choose)
    Eye Mask
    Ear Plugs
    Casual Pants, 10
    Casual Shirts, 10
    Socks - Long, 30
    Casual Watch
    Vitamins
    Extra Battery for Cell Phone
    Hand Sanitizer
    Water Bottle
    Hiking Shoes
    Shaver
    Floss
    Hairbrush
    Toothpaste
    Tweezers
    Nail Clippers
    Perfume
    Qtips

What would be your first steps? What would be your survival plan, and how long do you think you could survive? Be as detailed as possible. Preferably find uses for all the items on the list.
    Last edited by Blorg; 07-09-2015 at 05:28 PM.

Type
    INxP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Ooo ... I like the idea for this thread.

I'll try give more thought when I have time, but for sure, to start with, I'd have to play around with the one item on the list I only have a vague idea about, to get a feel for their ... erm ... ins and outs so I could get an idea of when they might be useful later:

Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    Tampons

Type
    XXXX
    Use the tampons to filter sentiment from the water in the dwindling creek.

Half the other stuff though I probably just use to stoke a fire.

My survival plan would probably be to damn the creek, drain it, collect the minnows for protein, and start walking in one direction until I either found a better location, some civilization, or dropped dead.

Forests generally have alot sugary flora that can keep you kickin for a decent time. Maybe, I'd use the floss to create a snare, but that requires waiting around.

You could also use the floss to tie a busted hard drive, or some sharp piece of plastic to a stick to create a spear.

You could also use the sharp plastic to create a skinning knife.

Catching large wild game probably wouldn't be worth the calories you'd waste trying to catch it though.

Unless you lured a bear in with the perfume and amushed it from a tree or something.

But then you're contending with a bear and it'll probably be pretty pissed when you poke him with your sharp piece of plastic.
    Last edited by Makers!*; 07-09-2015 at 05:18 PM.
    "Long live the weeds and the wilderness!"

No Thank You
    Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Utisz View Post
    I'll try give more thought when I have time, but for sure, to start with, I'd have to play around with the one item on the list I only have a vague idea about, to get a feel for their ... erm ... ins and outs so I could get an idea of when they might be useful later:

I should clarify: you will have a box of 20 high-quality Tampax Compact Pearl tampons with decorative plastic wrappers.

^They usually come in plastic things similar to syringes and inside the syringe is expanding fluff wrapped around a string.

A tampon is a cylindrical mass of absorbent material, primarily used as a feminine hygiene product. Historically, the word "tampon" originated from the medieval French word "tampion", meaning a piece of cloth to stop a hole, a stamp, plug, or stopper.[1] At present, tampons are designed to be easily inserted into the vagina during menstruation and absorb the menstrual flow. Several countries regulate tampons as medical devices. In the United States, they are considered to be a Class II medical device by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). They are sometimes used for hemostasis in surgery.

No Thank You
    Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Makers!* View Post
    Unless you lured a bear in with the perfume and amushed it from a tree or something.
    Good ideas!
    Could you lure the bear with minnows? I guess you'd need to eat the minnows for immediate survival though

Type
    INTP
    What region I'm in matters a lot, not just because that will affect the climate and what's available to eat but because ideally I don't want to wait for help to arrive, I want to try and get back to civilization or signal someone.

I could probably use the batteries to start a fire, but probably one time doing that is the best I can hope for. Fires are great for warmth, cooking, keeping predators away and signaling for help.

If I disassemble the camera I could probably use the lens to start fires also.

I would really want some kind of metal cutting implement and there's nothing ideal for that here. Nothing with a sturdy rod for making an axe or hammer or holding up shelter, either.

If the water bottle is steel that would be nice, otherwise it's going to be harder to boil water. I've seen people boil water in a plastic bag before, maybe if any of the clothing is watertight that would work.

I would save the sanitizer in case I got any cuts that needed disinfecting.

No Thank You
    Type
    INFP
    Maybe you could make some sort of electrical weapon for shooting bears as they charge at you
    (with the chargers and laptop. The laptop still has some battery life.)

If you're wounded, you could easily create bandages from the Casual Pants.

No Thank You
    Type
    INFP
    I'd lay out the batteries on the ground and wait for a tree to fall on them so that they break.

Or I'd just smash them with a rock, finishing them off with the nail clippers, and collect their toxic content in the water bottle.

I would extract the fluff from tampon applicators and pour in the toxic battery materials. Then I would find a patch of strawberries and infuse them with the battery stuff. I would scatter the ground surrounding the strawberry patch with dead minnows, and I would fill the minnows with battery stuff too.

I would thoroughly wash a pair of Casual Pants and a Casual Shirt, then roll around in the dirt to mask my scent. Then I would hide in a distant tree, keeping a watch on the strawberry patch. I would zoom in through the camera lens and note if any animal eats from the area, and then track them down as I wait for them to die of poisoning.

Sounds like a great plan!

I could stand in the creek and start a huge fire on one side of the forest, using one of the methods that p_p suggested. If nothing else, that would probably attract helicopters.

I would run strings of floss between trees all over the forest on the other side of the creek. Then when animals go dashing across to escape the fire they'll trip on the floss and I'll have lots of animals to eat!

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    I'd lay out the batteries on the ground and wait for a tree to fall on them so that they break.

Or I'd just smash them with a rock, finishing them off with the nail clippers, and collect their toxic content in the water bottle.

I would extract the fluff from tampon applicators and pour in the toxic battery materials. Then I would find a patch of strawberries and infuse them with the battery stuff. I would scatter the ground surrounding the strawberry patch with dead minnows, and I would fill the minnows with battery stuff too.

I would thoroughly wash a pair of Casual Pants and a Casual Shirt, then roll around in the dirt to mask my scent. Then I would hide in a distant tree, keeping a watch on the strawberry patch. I would zoom in through the camera lens and note if any animal eats from the area, and then track them down as I wait for them to die of poisoning.

Sounds like a great plan!
    This sounds like the solution to some wacky and stupidly frustrating old-school adventure game.

Type
    INFP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Change pants every hour until I die.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?