Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chickens: the best image stabilizers

-
    Type
    xxxx

[Thread split] Chickens' "image stabilising" behaviour

split from Little Pockets thread

The perfect image stabiliser:

Actually, why do birds do this? Any ideas @jigglypuff?
    Last edited by Sappho; 11-17-2016 at 07:06 PM.

Type
    INTP
    My guess would be it helps them maintain a horizon line in flight.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    The perfect image stabiliser:

Actually, why do birds do this? Any ideas @jigglypuff?
    They do it for the same reason the guy strapped a camera to one's head...image stabilization. Makes it easier to spot potential food on the ground if their head isn't jerking around.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Sexy chickens for @jigglypuff

Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

-
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    They do it for the same reason the guy strapped a camera to one's head...image stabilization. Makes it easier to spot potential food on the ground if their head isn't jerking around.
    Hm... with all due respect for your scientific knowledge and superior deductive abilities, this theory does not seem plausible when one studies the movements of a walking chicken:

The stabilisation seems to counteract vertical movement, mostly – so Hephaestus' speculation of being related to flight would make more sense.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    But if you watch that walk in slow motion, you'll note how they throw their head forward and fix it while the body catches up. And when they spot something on the ground, their head pins in place while they get their body into place to eat it.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    I do this when I run. Some dude in the army made a big deal about it, "Latch's head don't move when he runs!"

..and here I am making fun of him 25 years later.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Chickens don't really fly, right? And they don't have forward-facing eyes. I remember hearing that the bobbing of their heads as in the above video is done to emulate stereoscopic vision by quickly finding multiple points of view, since they can't look at something with both eyes simultaneously. I think our binocular arrangement makes it easier to see things dynamically (which is important for predators), whereas chickens have much greater peripheral vision but need to be able to look at things statically to determine things like depth. That would make image stabilization important.

edit: science blogs are saying I'm wrong about the stereoscopic vision but that it is about image stabilization, which chickens need to do with their heads because they have mostly fixed eyes. We move our eyes to stabilize images.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    My husband came in and busted me watching slo motion chicken videos and was all wtf?

I explained and he responded by showing me chicken style in xingyi

Type
    xxxx
    woke up late on a sunday, spending my morning watching videos of that weird thing chickens do with their heads on intpx. not bad. XD