Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guilt

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Guilt

It's paralyzing me. The things you can't fix for not having been a better person. Not being able to start over, the impossibility of a clean slate, ever. Some failures should end automatically in death, there being nothing more to prove. But no, life goes on in its absurdity. I'd prefer to go crazy and be exiled from myself, but I can't even do that. How the hell does one deal?
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    xxxx
    i try to tell myself it's irrational and ultimately counterproductive when it becomes a cycle that prevents you from doing things to fix the negativity. at that point it's also evil for being the enemy of action. so yeah

eyeing you rabbit warrior kitsune's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    a vast moor in the old world brimming with jackrabbits where three rivers decussate
    The only thing I know about guilt is that is a form of self-harm. When I am about to do something and I know I will feel ashamed or guilty for it afterwards, I try not to do that thing. I avoid regret. But it sounds like the guilt you are talking about is the spilled milk kind. In those situations, I try to remind myself I made the best possible decision based on what I knew at that time. And then I analyze the hell out of the situation to try and prevent myself from making the same mistake twice.

"
    'I cannot play with you,' the fox said. 'I am not tamed.'" - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Le Petit Prince (1943)

REMINDER TO SELF WHEN DEALING WITH THE RABBIT WARRIOR: "All warfare is based on deception." - Sun Tzu,
    The Art of War

Type
    INTP
    You can't do anything about it...but feel it.

There was this article I read about how if you feel something for 90 seconds [it might have been anger] and focus on it and breathe through it, it goes away because your brain makes it so, like it has to shut it off; you can only feel it for so long biologically.
    It works for anger for me and I have tried it with other feelings, although sadness tends to linger, but trying not to feel it will only make it worse in the end.

It tends to be that way for a lot of emotions, this is the best advice I can give you from my experiences.
    I'm sorry it couldn't be better :/.

Also, it's good to feel it, but don't dwell on it, give yourself permission to feel it for a few days, maybe a week. After that, try to do other things to distract yourself.

Type
    INTP
    I can only agree that guilt is crippling.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

I don't think I've ever done anything bad enough to relate. I once tried to rob a toy store of a $20 set of model paint. I stared at the paint set for 10 minutes, picked it up in my hands, read the labels 50 times over obsessing over how much I wanted it and how easy it would be to walk out with it. Then guilt crippled me into putting it back on the shelf and walking away, feeling better already. I guess guilt cripples me before I do the thing to create guilt rather than after. I can't relate to this thread. That makes me feel guilty? Guilty for posting in it? Like, maybe I should go do bad things so that I can relate, and then not feel so guilty about this post? Wait.. here it comes.. it's crippling me from hitting the post button... I'm going to push through the guilt, and push the button. Guilt shall not cripple me!

Ok, seriously Maddy. Get better. I obviously don't know what to say other than I wish for you to be happier.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

DOA Space Invaders Champion Neville's Avatar
    Type
    Taur
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    It's paralyzing me. The things you can't fix for not having been a better person. Not being able to start over, the impossibility of a clean slate, ever. Some failures should end automatically in death, there being nothing more to prove. But no, life goes on in its absurdity. I'd prefer to go crazy and be exiled from myself, but I can't even do that. How the hell does one deal?
    It's not the answer anyone wants but the only things that have ever worked for me are drugs.
    “Then there you lie like the one warm spark in the heart of an arctic crystal.”

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by ent View Post
    ...drugs.
    My vote is cast for adrenalin.
    What's the difference? It's just soda, bro.

Type
    INFP
    I just try not to dwell on the past or repeat the same mistakes, with varying success. I really feel beholden to certain people based on how shitty a person I can be. In the case of some, there's no amount of restitution possible that would make me feel square. All you can do is either try to stay positive and move forward or self-destruct.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I try to channel regret over past failures into motivation not to repeat them. It's hit and miss but it makes the pain seem less pointless.