Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Browser Games

-
    Type
    xxxx

Browser Games

ir/rational Redux (~20 minutes)

Escape from a nondescript room by outwitting an antediluvian ticker machine and making (semi-)logical statements.

The Very Organized Thief (~10 minutes; replay potential)

It was fun playing around with the physics and clearing out the kitchen cupboards until the owner came home.

Samorost (~20-30 minutes)

Oldie (2003) but goldie, somewhat weird point-and-click game from a Czech developer.
    Last edited by Sappho; 07-18-2015 at 05:22 PM.

-
    Type
    xxxx
    The Republia Times (~10-15 very entertaining minutes)

You are the new editor-in-chief of a national newspaper and have to make the government look good while keeping your readership interested. I enjoyed this a lot – especially the neat twist at the end.

@Madrigal, you might like this, too.

-
    Type
    xxxx
    Fishing Girl (~15-20 minutes per play, two different endings)

Rescue a genderless blob crying for help on an island floating in shark-infested waters – by overfishing the ocean separating you. The generally narcotic pace of the game is rather relaxing. @Dot, you might enjoy this.

Type
    INFP
    ^thanks, I'll give it a try!

Miniclip used to be a great source and it looks like it still is (or at least it has a lot of games and an updated site design). They seem to have removed my favorite game though
    "Better not to feel too much until the crisis ends—and if it never ends, at least we’ll have suffered a little less, developed a useful dullness...The constant—and very real—fear of being hurt, the fear of death, of intolerable loss, or even of “mere” humiliation, leads each of us, the citizens and prisoners of the conflict, to dampen our own vitality, our emotional and intellectual range, and to cloak ourselves in more and more protective layers until we suffocate." - Toni Morrison

-
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    ^thanks, I'll give it a try!

Miniclip used to be a great source and it looks like it still is (or at least it has a lot of games and an updated site design). They seem to have removed my favorite game though
    Which one was that?

Type
    INTP
    I used to play browser games fairly frequently. They were a nice way to casually let my subconscious churn on data for awhile. Very useful to get into a groove for an essay.

But now, the ads have gotten so bloody long, I don't bother. I tried to try the first game but there was a 30 second ad-wall in the way. That's far over my threshold.

I know, there are a dozen members wondering why I don't have an ad-blocker.

I don't have an ad blocker because:

1. I don't trust BHO's.
    2. It's more computing overhead. I'm more annoyed by that constant drain from TSR applications than I am giving up the activity that has too much advertisement to enjoy.
    3. I don't object to people making money off my page visit, I resent the amount of time their advertisers are taking. I'd rather communicate that by quitting their service than adding a TSR or BHO. I prefer boycotting.

On the plus side: I'm playing more of my Steam and GOG purchases.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

-
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I know, there are a dozen members wondering why I don't have an ad-blocker.
    Apologies. I've grown so used to having one implemented at all times that I don't even realise other people might be seeing ads. I suppose I could have picked a better site mirror.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    Apologies. I've grown so used to having one implemented at all times that I don't even realise other people might be seeing ads. I suppose I could have picked a better site mirror.
    No worries--it's gotten more difficult. The major browser game aggregators only got to the point of untenability for me in the past year.

I think the expansion of advertisement is the primary stimulus resulting in my overall contraction of internet use. The more commercial the internet becomes, the less interest I have in it--save as a platform for possible commercial ventures.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I played nationstates for a while a few years back. That one's kinda fun as a casual timekiller, in that it's fundamentally a joke--you're presented with a political dilemma once a day, and typically asked to choose between absurdly extreme, diametrically opposed solutions, with the ultimate goal effectively being to have the game pigeonhole your political ideology and then make fun of you for it. (E.g. I ran one where my consistent commitment to environmentalism resulted in a country where the leading cause of death was people getting "lost in the wilderness".)

I currently play a similar game Ars Regendi, which is the same basic concept but with a more sophisticated interface and game mechanics. You pick one of 8 countries to run (sometimes they add new ones--the UK is the most recent addition) and start with its real-world demographic and economic stats from 1990. The developers are econ nerds who claim to have based the game code on the findings of academic research to make it realistic. Unlike Nationstates, it's possible to lose and your actions are constrained to some extent by how previous decisions affect your regime (an "influence" stat unlocks increasingly radical forms of legislation, but building it up effectively involves balancing the immediate popularity of your decisions against their objective results as well as how they directly give you more or less formal authority). You have to win periodic elections to keep playing (or acquire enough power to abolish them).

There's a standalone mode and also a multiplayer mode with wars, trade agreements, foreign aid, treaties that restrict your domestic legislation, and so forth. Not a terribly large number of players, though, so I don't think the diplomacy-simulation thing they had in mind for that has quite panned out as envisioned, although if it suddenly attracted a bunch of new players I think it's sophisticated enough that it would be fun. (The "worlds" are set up for 100 states at a time, but this leads to it being glorified Risk when a half-dozen human players just try to see who can build the biggest empire by conquering the computer-controlled filler states, except the game isn't really focused on military strategy so that gets a bit boring.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    Which one was that?
    I tried searching for it but gave up. It involved a pirate collecting coins.

I love the fishing one
    "Better not to feel too much until the crisis ends—and if it never ends, at least we’ll have suffered a little less, developed a useful dullness...The constant—and very real—fear of being hurt, the fear of death, of intolerable loss, or even of “mere” humiliation, leads each of us, the citizens and prisoners of the conflict, to dampen our own vitality, our emotional and intellectual range, and to cloak ourselves in more and more protective layers until we suffocate." - Toni Morrison