Thread: Stephen Hawking answering questions on Reddit

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Stephen Hawking answering questions on Reddit

Ask Stephen Hawking Anything in His First Reddit AMA. Anyone know how to ask? There must be a link to more information somewhere.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I trusted the NBC article because it's NBC but this Cnet article actually told me what I wanted to know.

Specifically, you can submit your questions starting Monday July 27 at 8am ET through Tuesday, August 4, at reddit.com/r/science, and Hawking will respond over the next few weeks
    ...well, I supposed you have to scroll down the headings and click the right topic first...no, wait, that's not a topic list...

So, can someone explain how this works? Do I have to prefix my question with something so Hawking will get it?

Type
    intp
    My question would be why people take Stephen Hawking as an authority on things other than theoretical physics. "Stephen Hawking thinks robots will take over" "Stephen Hawking thinks humanity should colonize space", etc. He's a physicist, not a philosopher.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I find it difficult to imagine what is worth asking him, unless you have a background in quantum gravity. Everything else just seems a forum of commonplaces and not a good use of one's own, or his time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lud View Post
    My question would be why people take Stephen Hawking as an authority on things other than theoretical physics. "Stephen Hawking thinks robots will take over" "Stephen Hawking thinks humanity should colonize space", etc. He's a physicist, not a philosopher.
    They are probably hoping for something as anodyne as this forgery.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    I find it difficult to imagine what is worth asking him, unless you have a background in quantum gravity. Everything else just seems a forum of commonplaces and not a good use of one's own, or his time.
    we need to know if he'd rather fight a horse sized duck or 100 duck sized horses.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lud View Post
    He's a physicist, not a philosopher.
    What exactly does it take to be a philosopher? I'd say being born human and self aware could be enough, but what do I know? It's clearly a question best left to the philosophers.

(I've always thought that comment was a copout for not being willing to entertain abstract thought. Not that it isn't useful at times to have a handy method of copping out of thinking about something abstract and probably stupid. IMSO, it's a good reason to not become a bona fide philosopher, just so you can keep that copout.)

I mean, the man has existed as an atrophied bobblehead in an electrical chair for decades. It doesn't seem unlikely that he's probably spent time thinking about a wide variety of topics, and from a fairly unique perspective with a unique intellect. He wouldn't be my first choice of consult for much of anything, but I think if something 'big' ventures into a realm of philosophical underpinnings, he might have something interesting to say about it.

For example: maybe he thinks robots will take over because in his life, they have. It would also be interesting to know how much of his success in his field he would attribute to his illness and the reduction of distractions in the catastrophic loss of opportunities.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by last_caress View Post
    we need to know if he'd rather fight a horse sized duck or 100 duck sized horses.
    Personally, I think I'd rather deal with the neigh-sayers than a giant that could bill me to death. Besides, horses are 'whinny', which means they usually lose. Just ask anyone who plays the ponies.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by last_caress View Post
    This
    What's the difference? It's just soda, bro.