Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52

Thread: Windows 10 ... do you have your update, and if so, what do you think?

  1. #1
    Homo siderius Sistamatic's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    5,541
    INTPx Award Winner

    Windows 10 ... do you have your update, and if so, what do you think?

    I hear DirectX 12 is going to be a significant thing for gaming graphics, though there aren't any games out that take advantage yet. Apparently games will be able to utilize all processor cores, plus the native graphics card on the motherboard will be used as a coprocessor.

    Had some issues with the Nvidia drivers at first, but a restart resolved them.

    Moment of frustration when it booted to C and told me my operating system was missing. I had forgotten about my unconventional drive lettering.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

    I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

  2. #2
    Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Barcelona, Catalonia
    Posts
    5,669
    I'm testing it for work to see if it's stable. It seems okay, none of the new features seem that useful or outstanding but, meh, at least they haven't made it worse. I'm definitely going to replace the clusterfuck that is Windows 8 on my personal laptop with this.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

  3. #3
    Homo siderius Sistamatic's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    5,541
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    I'm testing it for work to see if it's stable. It seems okay, none of the new features seem that useful or outstanding but, meh, at least they haven't made it worse. I'm definitely going to replace the clusterfuck that is Windows 8 on my personal laptop with this.
    I have it on my desktop as of a few minutes ago. It's pretty great to click on the windows button in the lower right and get something somewhat useful that doesn't remove you completely from what you were doing. I'm still a little weirded out that programs are called apps. In my arbitrary mental hierarchy apps are to programs what flip flops are to shoes.

    The lingo is disturbing in other ways as well. Like instead of a list of programs, or even a list of apps, you get "life at a glance." What does that even mean? I thought it might be recently opened apps, but there are things I've never ever used in it...like Candy Crush Saga. Clearly this is someone else's life at a glance. Why must my OS use buzzwords? Can't it just say what it means? Is my computer trying to masquerade as an EF?

    At least it isn't schizophrenic any more.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

    I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

  4. #4
    Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Barcelona, Catalonia
    Posts
    5,669
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    I have it on my desktop as of a few minutes ago. It's pretty great to click on the windows button in the lower right and get something somewhat useful that doesn't remove you completely from what you were doing. I'm still a little weirded out that programs are called apps. In my arbitrary mental hierarchy apps are to programs what flip flops are to shoes.

    The lingo is disturbing in other ways as well. Like instead of a list of programs, or even a list of apps, you get "life at a glance." What does that even mean? I thought it might be recently opened apps, but there are things I've never ever used in it...like Candy Crush Saga. Clearly this is someone else's life at a glance. Why must my OS use buzzwords? Can't it just say what it means? Is my computer trying to masquerade as an EF?

    At least it isn't schizophrenic any more.
    Oh I worked in the software industry. So, yeah, 'apps' has pretty much replaced the word program... if I could think of the ADHD definitions and connotations of the industry it has become something akin to 'a program is like Tron graphics or sumfink stupid and 80's, an app is modern and mobile and agile'.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

  5. #5
    The Pompatus of Love C.J.Woolf's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    IAD
    Posts
    2,206
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    ...an app is modern and mobile and agile.
    I'm afraid that reminds me of the phrase "mobile, agile, and hostile".

    I'll wait a month for others to find the bugs before I download my copy.
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro

  6. #6
    Homo siderius Sistamatic's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    5,541
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    Oh I worked in the software industry. So, yeah, 'apps' has pretty much replaced the word program... if I could think of the ADHD definitions and connotations of the industry it has become something akin to 'a program is like Tron graphics or sumfink stupid and 80's, an app is modern and mobile and agile'.
    LOL. Yup...I'm getting old. Next thing you know I'll be using a program that shoots ray guns at those darned kids on my lawn. (They are still calling them lawns?)
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

    I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

  7. #7
    Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Barcelona, Catalonia
    Posts
    5,669
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    LOL. Yup...I'm getting old. Next thing you know I'll be using a program that shoots ray guns at those darned kids on my lawn. (They are still calling them lawns?)
    From a 1900's Sci-Fi Martian tripod?



    "Yes... that is what your 'DOS' and 'floppy disks' remind me off. H.G. Wells technologies"
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

  8. #8
    singularity precursor Limes's Avatar
    Type
    INTJ
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7,019
    INTPx Award Winner
    I had my son install it as a vmware 11 virtual machine yesterday.
    He was playing with cortana for a while, which seemed really cool. I welcome being able to talk to my PC, like I sometimes talk to my phone.
    He said that it was a bit buggy (cortana stopped working) and he was glad that I advised against installing it over the top of windows 7, at least until maybe service pack 1 comes out.

  9. #9
    Meae Musae Servus Hephaestus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    13,388
    INTPx Award Winner
    I've read it combines the best of 7 and 8--which to my mind means it's 7 with added bullshit, therefore no need to updowngrade.

    I may change my mind as time wears on, but from what I've seen of the screenshots, the interface looks abysmal. It still has those fugly tiles.

    I'm more concerned with what the future past 10 holds though. Allegedly, 10 is going to be the last numbered release of Windows because Microsoft is going full bore with the latest 'innovation' in software development: subscriptions for things you used to just buy once and be done with the buying (more or less).

    Apparently, MS is going to expand their subscription model again. Live was horrible, the move to making Office a subscription service was somehow even more grotesque than when Adobe made the move--and now they plan on doing it for Windows.

    Why? Because the world needs to be made shittier. By god, they've found a way.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

    --Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

  10. #10
    Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,491
    I have installed it over my Windows 7 (yay) ultra book, and the Windows 8.1 (wtf?) lappy. Went fine on the first, had quite a few issues getting the Damn update to run properly on the second.

    It's going back to a Windows 7 esque interface, so that's reason enough for me to switch on the 8.1 computer, which I only got knowing this upgrade was coming. So that's nice. The whole apps instead of programs shits me, but let's avoid getting started on that.

    The thing I don't like in all this is the bloat, connectivity and privacy options. Removing Xbox, Windows store, candy crush, news, weather, mail and a whole bunch of other shit is just damn irritating. That's not my life at a glance, it's just Microsoft ads and data trawling.

    Speaking of which, I advise everyone on setup to go through the advanced options, there's a host of privacy and data sucking options turned on by default. I appreciate some people like that, but I do not, and the sheer number that need to be turned off or limited is reminiscent of Facebook and it's ridiculous privacy settings.

    I'm running Windows for Photoshop, office, dxo and professional reasons. I dislike this trend of being hostile to my wish for a local minimalist system that I control and isn't set up in the cloud as an excuse to remove that control and serve as an ad serving consumption targeted platform.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 62
    Last Post: 08-04-2014, 09:04 PM
  2. Windows 8
    By Perdix in forum Rants, Raves & Hot Air
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-31-2014, 10:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •