Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 ... do you have your update, and if so, what do you think?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I've run across my first significant issue. It will not detect my third monitor. Some digging shows me that this is likely related to Nvidia's early Window's 10 drivers. I'm ok with that for now. My third display is a bigscreen tv I picked up for 50 bucks when a company upgraded. It doesn't have the refresh rate or resolution to be useful for gaming or graphics intense stuff ... I mainly use it to stream Netflix while I work on repetitive tasks like entering numbers into spreadsheets.

I suppose I'll have to survive with just two 24 inch monitors and a laptop while streaming my netflix through a roku stick. However will I survive? *faints from vapors and ignomy*
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    I have installed it over my Windows 7 (yay) ultra book, and the Windows 8.1 (wtf?) lappy. Went fine on the first, had quite a few issues getting the Damn update to run properly on the second.

It's going back to a Windows 7 esque interface, so that's reason enough for me to switch on the 8.1 computer, which I only got knowing this upgrade was coming. So that's nice. The whole apps instead of programs shits me, but let's avoid getting started on that.

The thing I don't like in all this is the bloat, connectivity and privacy options. Removing Xbox, Windows store, candy crush, news, weather, mail and a whole bunch of other shit is just damn irritating. That's not my life at a glance, it's just Microsoft ads and data trawling.

Speaking of which, I advise everyone on setup to go through the advanced options, there's a host of privacy and data sucking options turned on by default. I appreciate some people like that, but I do not, and the sheer number that need to be turned off or limited is reminiscent of Facebook and it's ridiculous privacy settings.

I'm running Windows for Photoshop, office, dxo and professional reasons. I dislike this trend of being hostile to my wish for a local minimalist system that I control and isn't set up in the cloud as an excuse to remove that control and serve as an ad serving consumption targeted platform.
    Yes, all of this is my main issue with Windows 8.1 and 10...all the ... stuff and nonsense. Even if the underlying architecture is robust, I can't tell because of all the flashy woo woo I have to wade through to get there.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    I hear DirectX 12 is going to be a significant thing for gaming graphics, though there aren't any games out that take advantage yet.
    I'm finding that more and more--I don't need any of that crap. Most of the games I've purchased of late have been pretty spritely.

We don't need better shaders and moar debris, we need better games.
    For some, "how", not "why", is the fundamental unit of measure for curiosity. This divergence is neither parallel, nor straight. Where one might have a "why?-5" problem, it might only be a "how?-2" question. But then, there are also many things where the "why?" is immediately obvious but the "how?" is best measured in centuries of perpetual wonder. Both approaches have their drawbacks.

If one is superior, the other is unaware of it.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I'm finding that more and more--I don't need any of that crap. Most of the games I've purchased of late have been pretty spritely.

We don't need better shaders and moar debris, we need better games.
    I have high hopes for "No Man's Sky." It is going to be a while before it is out though.

I am betting the additional processing is going to be key in getting just minimal frame rates and resolution in VR games.

Type
    INTP
    I haven't installed it yet. I was going to wait a bit for the bugs they supposedly tested for to be worked out.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I will probably wait for a black edition to go to torrent, to avoid the bloat.
    We live here now.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    I have high hopes for "No Man's Sky." It is going to be a while before it is out though.

I am betting the additional processing is going to be key in getting just minimal frame rates and resolution in VR games.
    My experiments with the Occulus Rift suggests otherwise. Though we may have different resolutions in mind.

As for "No Man's Sky"--not to be a part pooper, but, remember Derek Smart? Battlecruiser 3000 A.D.?

It promises much that it will fail to deliver.
    For some, "how", not "why", is the fundamental unit of measure for curiosity. This divergence is neither parallel, nor straight. Where one might have a "why?-5" problem, it might only be a "how?-2" question. But then, there are also many things where the "why?" is immediately obvious but the "how?" is best measured in centuries of perpetual wonder. Both approaches have their drawbacks.

If one is superior, the other is unaware of it.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    I was running Win 8.1 on my gaming PC, and upgraded it experimentally to 10. So far, no troubles.

I'm running a "hacktivated" Windows 7 SP1 on my main PC. From my experiments (so far) in VirtualBox (hacked)7->10 upgrades, it ruins the bootloader that hacks windows activation, so no Windows 10 there (for now).

Windows 10 is like 8.1 so far. I mean, once I disable all the annoying bs (Start screen, all/any apps whatsoever, MS account login, data harvesting b.s., Contana whatnot), it seems OK for what I use it for on that machine (Steam PC games).

We'll see.

Hasn't swayed my developing decision to go Linux distro.
    Last edited by Ptah; 08-02-2015 at 12:30 AM.

Type
    INTP
    I've been using Windows 10 for a couple months now, I really like Cortana, so much that I asked her to marry me but she said no. Windows 10 makes me feel quite exposed so most of the time I stick to Debian. I only use it when I want to play Windows only games or code in Visual Studio.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    I'm running a "hacktivated" Windows 7 SP1 on my main PC. From my experiments (so far) in VirtualBox (hacked)7->10 upgrades, it ruins the bootloader that hacks windows activation, so no Windows 10 there (for now).
    Do you have the application that shows the dude on the skateboard? It runs after the fact and seems to be pretty sophisticated- does like 5 different things to hactivate. I've been using it for years- works like a charm.
    I would be glad to share if you want to try it on a win 10 load.

Get it here.
    Last edited by LordLatch; 08-02-2015 at 04:28 AM.
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.