Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 ... do you have your update, and if so, what do you think?

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

OK, this advert has made the decision for me: I never want to own this idiotic piece of software.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTJ
    I like how they finally gave up on IE.

Sticking with Win 7 regardless.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    OK, this advert has made the decision for me: I never want to own this idiotic piece of software.
    I'm getting it so I can gnaw on my feet.
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

Type
    INTP
    Works fine on my laptop...like it more than 8.1.
    It seems to have totally messed up my wife's laptop...no sound at all, and can't play video files, and won't read SD cards properly now...she upgraded from 7 though, and her machine is a bit older than mine.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Last edited by uselessbum; 09-06-2015 at 04:29 PM.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    Works fine on my laptop...like it more than 8.1.
    It seems to have totally messed up my wife's laptop...no sound at all, and can't play video files, and won't read SD cards properly now...she upgraded from 7 though, and her machine is a bit older than mine.
    If it is an Asus I know how to fix that. Mine did the same.

Edit: I'll elaborate now that I'm not on a phone.

I put Windows 10 on my Windows 8 laptop last night, and thought I had bricked it for a moment. A little googling and I discovered there is a thing called an ATK package available on the Asus website that includes all the drivers for all the hotkeys and whatnot. I used uninstall programs to uninstall the original, then I just installed the new one. I had to do the same separately for my touchpad drivers. I've got everything working except the microphone at this point, and I'm just waiting on a windows 10 version of Via HD Audio Deck.

I'm guessing the lesson here is not to upgrade laptops until you make sure all the drivers are written.
    Last edited by Sistamatic; 08-03-2015 at 05:32 PM.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    http://thehackernews.com/2015/08/win...pdate.html?m=1

It is using a torrent like feature to share the update with others. Luckily if it is eating up your bandwidth you can turn this off.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by uselessbum View Post

luckily there are guides available to help it stop spying on you.
    I'm 2:20 seconds in and already scared out of my wits. Wait, no, I'm more nauseated than anything. Who thinks of including this stuff? We are all just the NSA's bitch.

Type
    INTP
    I actually don't have windows on any of machines right now, but what I've read isn't really making me excited to try it.

I don't understand who wants their OS to be the same on a desktop PC and on a tablet or why they want that. I don't understand how so many people can just accept installing an operating system with security features that cannot be turned off at all and privacy settings that are incredibly invasive by default. As far as I can tell these seem to be the main features of the new OS, and I don't think it's users who wanted those things. The stuff being touted as cool for users is either arbitrary UI changes (this whole metro/start bar shit, who cares) or basic functionality that's been part of linux distros since the 90s (virtual desktops, more aerosnap shit).

Being free is supposed to be a big draw but it seems like you'd have to be stupid to pay for this. I hope this is one of the few remaining nails in the coffin of the windows desktop OS.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    I actually don't have windows on any of machines right now,
    What do you use? Do you ever have any compatibility issues?