Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Who wants to cook?

Type
    INTP

Who wants to cook?

001.jpg
    Simple pickled onions. Fantastic on salads, sandwiches or straight out of the jar. Excellent hangover snack. Just had mine on a tuna melt and I am feeling better already.

Boil about a cup of vinegar with a few T of sugar (1/4-1/3 C?) , a teaspoon or so of salt and whatever spices you wish. I used two whole cloves, about a one inch piece of cinnamon stick, 5-6 black peppercorns and a few red pepper flakes. When the salt and sugar are completely dissolved remove from heat.
    Thinly slice one large onion (red are prettier, but screw going to the store today. I had yellow, I made yellow) and if you would like a clove or two of fresh garlic (I like).
    You can quickly blanch the onions if you'd like, they stay crisper if you don't, but I don't find it makes that big of a difference. If I do blanch mine I use the vinegar mix instead of water because I am fucking lazy and don't see the point in dirtying an additional pan.
    Cram the onions (and garlic if you are using it) in a jar or tupperware or whatever.
    Now throw a few ice cubes into the vinegar mix to cool and dilute it a bit. When they are dissolved pour it over the onions, cover them and stick them in the fridge for at least an hour. If you can leave them alone until the next day they are even better, but I don't have the patience for that shit.
    You can also substitute pearl onions which are fantastic in martinis or add in different veggies! Young asparagus are great, so are fresh button mushrooms (both must-haves for a good bloody mary), bell peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, sliced carrots, go crazy! With other veggies I use less sugar, particularly if they are high in sugar (like carrots) or just don't appeal to me when sweetened (mushrooms). With the veggie mixes if you leave the amount of sugar as is and throw in a fresh whole cayenne you will wind up with a terrific hot-sweet mix that will knock your socks off!
    Also, with the other vegetables blanching is more important, particularly if they are larger or more dense, so is leaving it sit for at least a day or two before it gets really awesome.
    Happy cooking my hungry friends!

Type
    INTP
    Ooohh, can you do one for pasties?

Type
    INTP
    I'm sure I will at some point. You know how I love to cook.

Type
    INTP
    I hope to learn something from this thread. As it stands, I can make sandwiches and pizza, and then only barely.

Species 5618
    Type
    INtP
    Can you make pizza sandwiches?

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I can make a damn good cioppino. Serve it up with a toasted baguette and some butter, with maybe a nice salad.

I've learned cooking different dishes from a number of teachers. It's always interesting to me the approaches people take towards cooking -- American, Latino, French, Filipino.

Actually, D. I wonder if you've ever tried cooking something like this -- bacon-wrapped cheddar egg thingies
    http://www.food.com/recipe/bacon-wra...g-bites-486479
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"If I thought you'd be fapping to it, I would charge money." --Resonance

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP
    I made homemade pot stickers / chinese dumplings. But we ate them all so no pics.

This recipe: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2007/...ss-and-ollies/

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Osito Polar View Post

I've learned cooking different dishes from a number of teachers. It's always interesting to me the approaches people take towards cooking -- American, Latino, French, Filipino.
    Same. I was fortunate to grow up in an area with a good mix of different ethnic foods (Italian, Polish, Russian, Swedish, Norwegian) and since then, spending many years in the restaurant industry, I have been fortunate to expand my knowledge base even further, particularly with Asian and Mexican, which is a huge love of mine.

Type
    INTP
    IMG00414-20131112-0726.jpgIMG00415-20131112-0727.jpgIMG00416-20131112-0733.jpg

I love cooking. I can't bake or use the oven very well. I mostly grill or use frying pans. Here is an omelette I did a few weeks ago. It has patatoes cut up very small and cooked for a few minutes until I had the other vegetables. It's whatever I have at the time honestly, but in this case red and green bell pepper and white onion.

I was so hungry I forgot to take the finished shot. sorry.

Does anybody want to make tartiflette with me? Or rather, hunt the cheese and help me eat it?