Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cool museum exhibits

Type
    intp

cool museum exhibits

The Getty Research Institute is showing Connecting Seas: A Visual History of Discoveries and Encounters. It largely represents colonial exploration, but there's a variety of content. One of the coolest objects is a giant Chinese world map. There's a gallery specific to colonists that includes French toys to educate children on the wealth and expanse of their empire.

They don't allow photography, even of wall plates, but there's a virtual 3-D tour available.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    The Museum of Play in Rochester NY is one of my favorite museums.

http://www.museumofplay.org/collections/game

They have games you can play there, but they also have a huge collection of historic RPG books, card games and other stuff that's fun and squeal-out-loud neato.

I also absolutely love the Salvador Dali museum in St. Petersburg, FL.

http://thedali.org/home.php

It's specific just to Salvador Dali, one of my favorite artists and they have SO MUCH COOL STUFF. They even have a bunch of experimental films that Dali made with Alice Cooper.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    XNXP
    Quote Originally Posted by Osito Polar View Post

It's specific just to Salvador Dali, one of my favorite artists and they have SO MUCH COOL STUFF. They even have a bunch of experimental films that Dali made with Alice Cooper.
    I remember the hologram of Cooper floating whilst squirting out ( see Stuck ) whipped cream from an aerosol container. I visited this museum while it was still located in Beechwood Ohio, not that far from me. I had a chat with the owner once re: books Dali illustrated and M.P. Shiel, another passion of his. I believe he's deceased now. ( The owner AND M.P. Shiel. ) I also spoke with Albert Field, who was a kind of "agent" for Dali, as well as having been involved in New York politics. We both collect antique playing cards.

Cool museums ? There's a museum of holography in Chicago that's kinda cool. There's an Outsider Art museum here in Chicago that has recreated Henry Darger's room. Looks kinda like mine...The coolest Outsider Art museum is in Switzerland. The original Art Brut collection of Dubuffet. I would enjoy seeing that. ( Even though I am not a fan of Dubuffet's own artistic ( personal ) creations, especially. )

The Mutter museum in the Philadelphia area ( if I'm not mistaken ) has some cool bones. There are some museums in other countries packed full of mummies, both naturally made and as assisted by humans. One is in Rome, I think.

Our Field Museum of Natural History, here in Chicago, is worth a couple looks at least. If you're in town, you should make a point of seeing it if you have some extra time. Don't get suckered into going to the Museum of Science and Industry. Not unless you REALLY REALLY want to see the inside of a WW2 era U-boat.
    Last edited by kuranes; 01-02-2014 at 05:08 AM.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    There's an Outsider Art museum here in Chicago that has recreated Henry Darger's room.
    Holy crap! That sounds amazing. I would love to see that. I am going to look for pictures of it online.

Looks kinda like mine...
    Really? Well if you're going to die and then become recognized for your genius would you sell me some of your drawings first?

Don't get suckered into going to the Museum of Science and Industry. Not unless you REALLY REALLY want to see the inside of a WW2 era U-boat.
    I could think of worse ways to spend an afternoon. Seeing inside a U-boat would be pretty interesting. Ooh especially if they had an Enigma Machine in there.

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    XNXP
    Holy crap! That sounds amazing.
    Well, having just read a book ( "Throwaway Boy" ) on Darger which showed a much more cluttered version, I will have to say "Not THAT room..." Heh

Really? Well if you're going to die and then become recognized for your genius would you sell me some of your drawings first?
    Not sure if I will ever be recognized. * sniff *

Believe it or not, however, I have been talking to a Manhattan Outsider dealer lately that says ( with a straight face ) that he is fascinated by my dreams. He was urging me to do performance art today, where I get up and do "spoken word" / monologues . I said that I didn't think it would fly in Chicago, versus NYC*. He disagreed.

I replied, "Maybe if I made sure there was a comedy aspect to it...." ( I had first told him how cool it would be to do my own version of a John Giorno-ish slam poem using that echo John uses, or loops. Get "voices" used in a recreated dialogue to mimic instruments. )

So...I'm trying to think of anecdotes that I can use, if I go ahead with this. I suppose that I'll have to throw in exaggerations and fibs / fictions like David Sedaris and Bill Bryson do, while keeping the self-deprecating core of truth to the whole thing..

* yes, yes, it might flop big time in NYC too..

Banned
    Type
    INTP

Why is it located there, out of all places?

Our Field Museum of Natural History, here in Chicago, is worth a couple looks at least. If you're in town, you should make a point of seeing it if you have some extra time. Don't get suckered into going to the Museum of Science and Industry. Not unless you REALLY REALLY want to see the inside of a WW2 era U-boat.

It's pricier, I suppose, but I remember it being really cool the last time I was there (which was a a long time ago). Probably a lot of kids, though. It's also huge and is in one of the only buildings surviving from the 1983 . Directly behind it, there's a cool Japanese guardian built on the site of the Japanese exhibit from the exposition. Apparently the old one was vandalized during World War II. The material I've read about it says it didn't have to do anything with anti-Japanese sentiment during World War II, but I find that hard to believe.

It doesn't cost anything, and is pretty quiet and free from tourists (although the winter temperatures might have had something to do with that). I think the only reason I know about this is because it's very close to my parent's apartment.
    Last edited by msg_v2; 01-02-2014 at 06:48 PM.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Why is it located there, out of all places?
    I don't really know the history too well, but St Petersburg FL seems to have a great wealth of art for some reason. Dale Chihuly has an otherworldly installation of glass art there. It's difficult to do it justice in words, but imagine a room filled with brilliantly colored illuminated jellyfish and shining mushrooms. The glasswork is attached to the walls and hung from the ceiling. That one really sticks out in my mind because Chihuly's stuff is so unique and his work is displayed in such a well-utilized exhibit space. St Petersburg also has both a Renoir collection and a Monet collection. I mean, for sure it's not the first place you'd think of traveling to see great art but in Western Florida it's probably your best bet.

Type
    intp
    I spent a while browsing through the Owen Jones collection on the Victoria and Albert Museum website. Next time I pass through London I'd like to pay it a visit. I'm already obsessed with arabesque and geometric designs, but it's really cool to see the previous work of someone who was more obsessed.

Sysop
    Type
    INTP
    I was just at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, and marveled at the mini-factory at this exhibit:
    http://www.msichicago.org/whats-here/exhibits/toymaker/

And at some future time, I hope to return and check this out:
    http://www.msichicago.org/whats-here...ign-it-fab-it/

Type
    INTP
    I went to see this in Paris. I didn't even know about it, a friend recommended it. It was fascinating, beautiful and often bizarre. We spent the day there.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.