Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are You an Undercover Narcissist?

Type
    INTx

Are You an Undercover Narcissist?

Are You an Introvert ó Or Are You Maybe an Undercover Narcissist?

The title presents a false dichotomy as an Undercover Narcissist is an introvert subclass.

Here, I'll mostly be using the term covert narcissism, and its opposite ó overt narcissism, which is the usual way we think of narcissism: that is to say, as Trump-ish. ...

[C]overt narcissists mostly keep their sky-high opinions of themselves locked inside their own heads, leaving them feeling misunderstood and overlooked.
    32/50
    Youíre kind of a covert narcissist.
    You can be pretty self-centered, in other words, but the behavior isnít out of control.

-
    Type
    xxxx

Merry Christmas
    Type
    INFP
    You’re kind of a covert narcissist.

uh-oh!

Not the personality disorder I was diagnosed with but I guess there's some overlap.

Type
    INTP
    We're designed to be narcissistic. I don't trust a person who isn't one, only those with a healthy self interest can be trusted. Somebody says their doing something for 'altruistic reasons' (save the planet, save the whales, save the children, the poor, whatever) are lying to themselves and to you and can't be believed. They are doing it to feel good about themselves, and that's a good reason.

Type
    INTx
    In the article accompanying the test they're "talking ... about trait narcissism, which is different from the personality disorder listed in the DSM-V. Many people's personalities would rate somewhere on the narcissistic spectrum; it's when the narcissism begins to intrude negatively into their lives, causing serious problems at work or home, that it starts to stray into disorder territory.)"

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    29/50

i'm not that different from other people though? of course everyone's got limited time and energy. people who give up too much of their personal space are like a kind of self-centered inverse narcissist aren't they? blah blah blah!!!
    I was fine when I came, and fine when I left.

Type
    INTx
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    ...of course everyone's got limited time and energy. people who give up too much of their personal space are like a kind of self-centered inverse narcissist aren't they?
    Yeah I think so. There's a common need to be loved. While the covert narcissists may somewhat satisfy that need by loving themselves (internalizing), the "inverse narcissists" satisfy that need more by cultivating loving feelings from others (externalizing.)

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Architect View Post
    We're designed to be narcissistic. I don't trust a person who isn't one, only those with a healthy self interest can be trusted. Somebody says their doing something for 'altruistic reasons' (save the planet, save the whales, save the children, the poor, whatever) are lying to themselves and to you and can't be believed. They are doing it to feel good about themselves, and that's a good reason.
    I do things that don't make me feel good just because I feel compelled to. Also, the reason for helping the poor for example could be born out of empathy rather than feeling good about it. In other words sometimes people do things because they would feel bad if they didn't, and take it on as a burden, I wouldn't call this narcissistic.
    The idea is quite.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarlFox View Post
    In other words sometimes people do things because they would feel bad if they didn't
    No difference, you just stated the contrapositive*. It is still being done because it makes the person doing it feel better.

Statement: People do things to make themselves feel good
    Contrapositive: People feel bad when they don't do some things

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Yeah I think so. There's a common need to be loved. While the covert narcissists may somewhat satisfy that need by loving themselves (internalizing), the "inverse narcissists" satisfy that need more by cultivating loving feelings from others (externalizing.)
    idk i kinda wasn't serious when i said that but maybe you've got a point... i just wouldn't describe wanting to keep to yourself as any sort of narcissism really. the quiz was all about not wanting to be burdened with other people's problems but that's why i keep to myself so much, cuz i don't wanna make anybody deal with my problems. that's being human with limited time and energy. i don't do this cuz i think everyone else is a "narcissist."
    I was fine when I came, and fine when I left.