Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are You an Undercover Narcissist?

Type
    xNxx
    *backs slowly out of thread*

Type
    INTP
    Self-interest. There's rational self-interest, irrational self-interest. There's healthy self-interest and unhealthy self-interest. (These dichotomies run similar, but are not quite the same). Narcissism is some particular admixture of irrational, unhealthy self-interest.

I tire of people conflating narcissism with selfish with self-interest. To be self-interested is unavoidable, it is implicit in being a sentient, individual living being. To be (properly) selfish is necessary to health, hence is healthy. Because some are self-interested in an unhealthy, irrational manner is just that, not an indictment (or indication otherwise against all) of self-interest, nor for that matter a vindication of (or case for) altruism (which is just another variety of irrational, unhealthy self-interest).

As for love. You cannot love or properly (qua heathily) be loved by others until or unless (and to what extent) you love yourself first qua primarily. This isn't just a philosophical statement. It can be observed.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    i think "narcissist" means something and it's not whatever this quiz tries to make it mean

i'll gtfo of this thread too
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Architect View Post
    No difference, you just stated the contrapositive*. It is still being done because it makes the person doing it feel better.

Statement: People do things to make themselves feel good
    Contrapositive: People feel bad when they don't do some things
    Yes, I had thought of that when I was typing out my reply. I just perceive and judge each motivation differently. As for narcissism, there's averages and instantaneous narcissism. There's the option of using narcissism as the basis of motivation but I'm wary of this simplification and it's application.
    Last edited by GnarlFox; 08-29-2015 at 08:33 PM. Reason: wary not weary
    The idea is quite.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I think the test was written by a narcissist. The only way to score "well" is to be sufficiently self-less to pay copious attention to others, i.e. them. That's where the covert narcissism comes into play. I bet hardly any of you even noticed.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    16/50

You’re probably not a covert narcissist.
    According to your answers, you probably don’t spend all your free time fantasizing about your own awesomeness. Congrats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    36/50
    You’re kind of a covert narcissist.
    You can be pretty self-centered, in other words, but the behavior isn’t out of control.
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    19/50
    I don't even care about myself! - apathy FTW!

Type
    INTP
    "I'm a covert narcissist"
    -agree
    -strongly agree
    -very agree
    -don't disagree

Type
    INTx
    I understand narcissism at the extreme to be an unhealthy degree of self love driven by a fear of not being loved. To be loved is to be of importance. Therefore, I think narcissism is more a case of exaggerated self importance (grandiosity) than exaggerated self interest, though they go hand in hand. When you get beyond trait to disorder, I understand that a narcissist sees self importance in black and white terms. If he's not a winner then he's a total loser. Thus he desperately needs to be a winner.
    Last edited by Sir Caveat; 08-30-2015 at 02:23 AM.
    You hide behind caveats and modifiers. - Lurker