View Poll Results: What types are an INTP female's "ideal" match?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • INTP

5 23.81%
  • INTJ

5 23.81%
  • INFP

6 28.57%
  • INFJ

4 19.05%
  • ISTP

1 4.76%
  • ISTJ

1 4.76%
  • ISFP

1 4.76%
  • ISFJ

1 4.76%
  • ENTP

8 38.10%
  • ENTJ

5 23.81%
  • ENFP

5 23.81%
  • ENFJ

2 9.52%
  • ESTP

0 0%
  • ESTJ

1 4.76%
  • ESFP

1 4.76%
  • ESFJ

2 9.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Ideal" match for an INTP female

Type
    INTP
    One area where MBTI does appear weak is for relationship matching. I've always thought MBTI was pretty good in categorizing people in general, but it tends to break down in the specifics. Relationship tastes tend to be very specific, so almost anyone can fit the bill, if they have the specific characteristics one might be looking for.

I think in general, INTPs are going to have such a different worldview than traditionalist SJ's that they aren't likely to have enough in common to form relationships in most cases, but there will be exceptions.

From a male perspective, I think T types match up good with F types as a compliment, but my impression is it might not work that way for women. Male F types are not that common, and I find them a bit strange. The INTP women would have to comment further on that.

Obviously, as a male, I haven't got a freaking clue what type of men INTP women prefer. I don't think I can simply extend my own general preferences. I'm not sure that would even work with other male INTPs. Too much individual taste in partners for MBTI to work as a predictive tool.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I find it interesting that the counterpart to this thread the "ideal match for an INTP male" thread never took off but this one did.

Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Why are men voting on this poll?
    I also find this odd, especially considering the other thread didn't go anywhere.

...I'm just going to give everyone the benefit of the doubt that's it's just momentum and this one got going first so people are sticking with it.

Anyway.

I picked ENTP, ENFP, and ENFJ.

I agree with some other people that it really depends on what you're looking for, and also the kind of INTP that you are.

I prefer these 3 types. I like being around someone that can easily get me out of my shell, and also someone I can take with me to industry parties and won't feel drained as quickly as I do, nor look to me to support them socially (when dating other introverts I've often been forced to "carry" them when I have some annoying social obligation, and it makes an already excruciating experience practically intolerable). These types are also tolerant of unconventional things, and therefore patient with our ability to enjoy what seems like staring at walls and recognize it isn't to intentionally ignore them.

I didn't pick the 4th ENxx - ENTJ because I think as INTPs we need someone with a higher capacity to get warmer as fuzzier than we have (though ENTPs usually do it with comedy). IME ENTJs are just too serious, and also think thinking for the sake of thought is stupid. My ENTJ friends often stop me halfway through a philosophical discussion and say "So who's right?" ...ugh.

Type
    INTP
    Why are men voting on this poll?
    We know what's good for you.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    We know what's good for you.
    Yes, I know. Potassium.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Yes, I know. Potassium.
    Wait, in this form?
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    One area where MBTI does appear weak is for relationship matching. I've always thought MBTI was pretty good in categorizing people in general, but it tends to break down in the specifics. Relationship tastes tend to be very specific, so almost anyone can fit the bill, if they have the specific characteristics one might be looking for.
    I'm inclined to agree. Typically I've found MBTI good for guessing personality types I'll have an easier time interacting with or best to avoid on the casual level, but beyond surface social interaction it starts to fall apart. There is certainly a some validity in the stereotypes, but everyone probably knows someone who runs rogue to their MBTI type.

Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    Male F types are not that common, and I find them a bit strange.
    From my reading you're not alone and it has led me to consider my type as one of the least understood or socially accepted when being male. Relationship postulations like to suggest I'm secretly a tree-hugging, whale-loving bohemian who prefers the swinger lifestyle, yet supposed historic male INFPs are a long list of tortured artists and philosopher types who are anything but. So yeah... Disconnect.

All I know is INFP men tend to attract ISFJ women... And they're poison to our type.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    I find it interesting that the counterpart to this thread the "ideal match for an INTP male" thread never took off but this one did.
    I believe it is because the answer is already known, along the lines of "whomever can put up with you".
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    I believe it is because the answer is already known, along the lines of "whomever can put up with you".
    That would be INTP, INTJ, and a small host of masochists.
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    hah! touché

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    I don't think there is an ideal type for all INTPs. What types you get along with is going to depend a lot on how strong your different functions are. An ENTP might be a great match for a less introverted INTP but I could only handle another introvert in a long term relationship. I can compromise on a lot of things but having to spend a significant chunk of time around other people isn't one of them.
    This is what I came in here to say. Extroverts make fantastic friendships, but when it comes to a long-term relationship and merging lives with them, the mismatch can become apparent and be annoying.

("Why do you haaate my faaammilly" omg I don't, how do you not understand the concept of alone time?!)