Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How does grammar affect you?

Type
    INTP

How does grammar affect you?

Does improper/poor grammar bother you? Examples? Why?

I was a bit surprised to see these as things that bother INTPs. They don't bother me at all, and I usually don't even notice misspellings.

Type
    INXX
    I'm scared of misspellings! I noticed people tend to correct others they already had a problem with before the infraction.

Like if someone comes in here spouting churchianity, the grammar nazis pounce.

Me? I'm lowbrow so as long as communication is occurring, I don't care.
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLatch View Post
    I'm scared of misspellings! I noticed people tend to correct others they already had a problem with before the infraction.

Like if someone comes in here spouting churchianity, the grammar nazis pounce.

Me? I'm lowbrow so as long as communication is occurring, I don't care.
    It's in their doctrinology to pounce and engage in holey symboliclasm.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Grammar is a game and a tool. On here , obviously, I have more leniency for misspelling since I don't proofread everything.

Often in speech I find myself deliberately breaking rules: Im not sure if it's a lefty elitist Australian thing or not: that is to say, you deliberately mess with grammar to show simultaneously that you're not a stuck up dick that takes grammar and poncey speech seriously, but it's also a shibboleth to show that you really are educated enough to do so and are not really part of the class that would genuinely make such mistakes (as genuine low/high class people would not recognize either the mistakes/playful intentionality respectively.)

In writing it's all about creativity /communication, and I've been know to keep archaic patterns that match my intended intonation and flow, or deliberately break rules I think are non-productive or locally illogical...

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    Often in speech I find myself deliberately breaking rules: Im not sure if it's a lefty elitist Australian thing or not: that is to say, you deliberately mess with grammar to show simultaneously that you're not a stuck up dick that takes grammar and poncey speech seriously, but it's also a shibboleth to show that you really are educated enough to do so and are not really part of the class that would genuinely make such mistakes (as genuine low/high class people would not recognize either the mistakes/playful intentionality respectively.)
    People in this country do that, too – interspersing formal language with bits of dialect shoddiness. It adds character and nuance to one's speech.

Type
    INTP
    It. bothers. me.

The worst is when it is in work e-mail. However, since i rewrite each part of an e-mail two or three times, I always often screw up and leave in an out of place word.

Type
    INFP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I just wish people wouldn't use 'whom' or 'myself' when they clearly don't know what the fuck they're doing.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    I just wish people wouldn't use 'whom' or 'myself' when they clearly don't know what the fuck they're doing.
    To whom do you refer?

Type
    INFP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    To whom do you refer?
    Myself!

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    I have to be one of the worst offenders here. Maybe if I ever took the time to proofread, I wouldn't miss so many. I don't really care. I notice mistakes in others much quicker than my own. I'm almost convinced I have some disorder, sometimes full sets of words are gone from what I thought I had posted.

In places outside of quick internet posts, I'm much more careful. I've been using incomplete sentences and purposefully breaking rules all my life. I had a writing instructor use my paper as an example of how to do it and get away with it. It's all just trying to communicate your ideas.

I do tire easily from grammar nazis. My only issue is when I can't tell someone's meaning or position. Often times if someone leaves out the n't in couldn't or wouldn't, you can tell by context what the person truly meant. When combined with a couple of rhetorical questions, it might not be so easy.