Page 343 of 377 FirstFirst ... 243293333341342343344345353 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,430 of 3769

Thread: Little raves that don't deserve their own thread

Type
    INFP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Catoptric View Post
    I just discovered these Uniball Kuru Toga pencils; though I might be using pens instead of pencils, I still am surprised that these have been out for close to a year. I've been needing to start writing again and got into fountain pens, which still requires me to step away from the computer (in fact part of the reason I stopped writing was due to being distracted by an internet connection.)

Interesting! I'd be curious to try a mechanical pencil with a lead-twisting feature. I have a Rotring 600 in .5mm which always feels a little dull but is built like a tank. I think there's mechanical pencil that are a little wider because they're designed with fountain pen enthusiasts in mind. My favorites are good old fashioned wood cased pencils. They're light and you can put a really fine point on them. I also feel a small sense of accomplishment as I wear them down. The Mitsubishi 9000 is my go-to.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    Interesting! I'd be curious to try a mechanical pencil with a lead-twisting feature. I have a Rotring 600 in .5mm which always feels a little dull but is built like a tank. I think there's mechanical pencil that are a little wider because they're designed with fountain pen enthusiasts in mind. My favorites are good old fashioned wood cased pencils. They're light and you can put a really fine point on them. I also feel a small sense of accomplishment as I wear them down. The Mitsubishi 9000 is my go-to.
    I've mostly only got into using a Zebra mechanical pencil, other than still having Mirado Woodtones pencils (which now appear to have been bought out by Papermates.) I've often been intrigued with Ticonderoga pencils though had no apparent need at the time to ever see what was good (other than noticing that many pencils simply weren't keeping the lead in or were getting sharpened at odd angles, and became problematic.)

And when looking into fountain pens noticed some really fancy ($200+) wooden pencils with special sharpener by Faber-Castell (Amazon). In some ways the appeal is due to it's novelty though I would probably stop at a $20- mechanical pencil, and the whole idea of having a large wooden case for something as basic as pencils, really brings to mind how much of it is overhyped marketing.

The biggest problem I have with mechanical pencils are the erasers, which are seemingly overpriced or impossible to find, and often fall out. Also I always noticed the lead breaking or retreating into the pencil. Wooden pencils have the advantage still, or have always been relied upon.
    Last edited by Catoptric; 02-14-2018 at 06:56 PM.

Type
    INFP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Catoptric View Post
    I've mostly only got into using a Zebra mechanical pencil, other than still having Mirado Woodtones pencils (which now appear to have been bought out by Papermates.) I've often been intrigued with Ticonderoga pencils though had no apparent need at the time to ever see what was good (other than noticing that many pencils simply weren't keeping the lead in or were getting sharpened at odd angles, and became problematic.)

And when looking into fountain pens noticed some really fancy ($200+) wooden pencils with special sharpener by Faber-Castell (Amazon). In some ways the appeal is due to it's novelty though I would probably stop at a $20- mechanical pencil, and the whole idea of having a large wooden case for something as basic as pencils, really brings to mind how much of it is overhyped marketing.

The biggest problem I have with mechanical pencils are the erasers, which are seemingly overpriced or impossible to find, and often fall out. Also I always noticed the lead breaking or retreating into the pencil. Wooden pencils have the advantage still, or have always been relied upon.
    It's my understanding that the Palomino Blackwing 602 is generally regarded among enthusiasts as the Cadillac of pencils that aren't novelty-expensive. You can buy them a la carte at a lot of art and stationary stores for around three bucks. Three bucks is too much for a wood-cased pencil but I've bought one just to try out. The incense cedar smells great and the eraser is fantastic but it's not good enough to justify the price for me. The Palomino is a tribute to a discontinued pencil that Chuck Jones used to draw Bugs Bunny and John Steinbeck used to write rough drafts. You can buy one of the originals for sixty dollary-doos. I generally slap one of these Pentel polymer eraser caps onto whichever pencil I'm using. I'll just cross stuff out before I use the eraser on my mechanical pencil.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    Ahh... When the coke hits the back of your throat.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Awww Yeah!

Did I mention my Occulus Rift DK1 came with three pairs of fresnel lenses? It came with three pairs of fresnel lenses!

Shenzhen... I think I love you.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    Checked the entry requirements for the Univeristy's IT Degree Apprenticeships.
    I'm lacking my A-Level in Maths.

So I looked outside the University for somebody who doesn't require the A-Level, and it's not looking good.
    There are options- but they are all with banks - and I really can't see myself working for a bank.

But I sent them the equivalent of a decent covering letter asking if this will definitely preclude me from applying for their course, and if it wouldn't, that I'd be an enthusiastic candidate. I suppose it might boil down to how easy they find 40 other female recruits.

Now I'm just waiting on a reply.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Entry requirements don't always apply to mature students. The students who were over 25 back when I applied for University had unconditional offers.
    It may be different for the degree apprenticeships.

Type
    INTP
    Started buying size 8's again.. my tens became too baggy, despite my Grebo propensity.

Gonna go capture me some foreign portals tomorrow, when I leave town to go see my bit on the side.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I think I figured out how to describe one of the stumbling blocks coders face when they try their hand at FPGA programming. The branching is "when" not "if".
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    XXXX
    I got a job on wildland firefighting handcrew this summer that I'm pretty stoked about. Remote local, lots of hiking in the mountains.
    "Long live the weeds and the wilderness!"