Page 2 of 301 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Little raves that don't deserve their own thread

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Shady Characters: the secret life of punctuation, symbols and other typographical marks by Keith Houston.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Sounds interesting. About a year ago I read Just My Type, which was a history of modern typography and fonts, which oddly enough turned out to have been authored by a friend of my boss.

I've got a copy of Randall Hyde's Art of Assembly Language Programming as a present today. I think when I've finished Les Mis, I'll get onto that.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    That one sounds interesting as well. I think I might try to track it down later.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    Shady Characters: the secret life of punctuation, symbols and other typographical marks by Keith Houston.
    I just bought that as a e-book. Thanks for the mention.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    Not Godel, Escher, Bach?
    That's actually on my to-read list, since I read a glowing review, but it's annoying because I can't seem to find it in any nearby libraries. Is it really interesting/worth hunting for?

edit: for some reason I hadn't thought of looking for an e-book version. never mind.
    Last edited by Dot; 12-26-2013 at 12:14 AM.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by chobani View Post
    That's actually on my to-read list, since I read a glowing review, but it's annoying because I can't seem to find it in any nearby libraries. Is it really interesting/worth hunting
    Yes. Well not really if you've studied abstract computation and mathematical logic, but otherwise fuck yeah.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    intp
    The new forum is excellent. Big thanks to Ptah and all the others who put in the work.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by scarydoor View Post
    The new forum is excellent. Big thanks to Ptah and all the others who put in the work.

Type
    INTP
    My throat is inflamed, my sinuses feel laden with lead. I have a swollen lymph node that makes swallowing uncomfortable, yet, perversely, I can breathe normally and don't feel congested at all--unless I'm trying to sleep, at which point breathing starts to feel sketchy.

But, this cold beer feels fan-fucking-tastic. It soothes with each gulp and the only complaint is that there isn't more of it.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Holy. Shit.

For the first time in, my life, I wore a short dress to work. This is my afternoon as Samantha Bullock in Love Potion No. 9:

-The security guard from my company asks me for my facebook handle, asks if I'm married, says he has a gf, and says maybe one day we might get together for a drink.
    -At the entrance to the subway station, I stopped to rummage through my purse and a guy told me he had seen me walking down a street two blocks down and wanted to ask me out for a drink. I said no, I have to go back to the office because I forgot my wallet, and he offered to pay for my subway ticket.
    -I go to the post office and a man who was there before me offers me his number in the queue.
    -I go to a place that sells prepared food and the salesman waits for his supervisor to leave, and then whispers to me, "This costs 69 pesos, but I'm going to charge you 60."

That's when I decided I was going to wear nothing but short dresses for the rest of the summer, and maybe even for the rest of my life. I hurried back to the same store where I bought the one I was wearing, so I could wear another short dress tomorrow. The store lady told me they were closing early and to come back the next day.

I don't even know what to do with this information. I'm still in complete shock.
    Last edited by Madrigal; 12-26-2013 at 09:37 PM.