Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An INTP’s Career Journey & Reflection

Type
    INTP

An INTP’s Career Journey & Reflection

Getting to know Andrew at PJ a bit he wanted to interview me about my career path, which is posted here

An INTP’s Career Journey & Reflections

Crossposting for general interest sake.

Type
    INTP
    I've been constantly asked, by my parents, what I want to do as I get older. I've come to realize, I don't want to pick one career path. I want to be this person that does all kinds of jobs, from construction to writing java-script. I know this is impossible, but it was appealing to me. Though, I have never told anyone about this, because they would probably laugh in my face. Constantly going day-by-day, doing the same in and out job, seems monotonous. However, going down the design and multimedia path, seems the most interesting to me.

Type
    INTP
    Interesting read. Thanks for crossposting,

I must say, I am ... dismayed? disappointed? ... that I cannot identify with the seeming majority of INTPs, with respect to how aimless and/or tentative they are/were in finding/developing/sustaining their interests, if not also careers. And I rarely if ever struggled for purpose, as such. But then, it could be argued there was great fortune ("happy accident") in my life, as such?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post

I must say, I am ... dismayed? disappointed? ... that I cannot identify with the seeming majority of INTPs, with respect to how aimless and/or tentative they are/were in finding/developing/sustaining their interests, if not also careers. And I rarely if ever struggled for purpose, as such. But then, it could be argued there was great fortune ("happy accident") in my life, as such?
    Career wise my path was set in an interview in 1987 where the boss asked if I wanted to work in the computer networking group or the testing group. I didn't know beans about data networking, but the connectivity aspect appealed to me so networking it was. I rarely switch jobs and never careers, this one has been too financially rewarding and interesting enough. Work just doesn't matter that much, it's a means to an end. One day I'll stop working for money, but I never plan on retiring - too many projects and interests are calling.

Type
    INTP
    This blog entry has a similar reflection on programming (and the parallel of musicianship, incidentally) without provoking MBTI, but seems INTP friendly - http://natescottwest.com/the-importa...ng-to-program/

I would agree that it takes the right exposure to get hooked. But it's rather impermanent, more like a spark, enough of a boost to proactively keep momentum. I've been momentarily "hooked" before but due to varied circumstances have veered off the path and find it just the same struggle to be excited again.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTP
    That's the type of article I read over and over given the chance I find it. The fact that I (sort of) know who you are is pretty damn cool. Thank you for sharing that

Type
    INTP

It's not uncommon. INTP's who are fortunate enough to find their thing early on in life are like this. Einstein was one. A EE INTP friend of mine (born on the other side of the planet within a year of me) is another. My kid is one too I think - growing up with me (yeah he's an INTP too) he fell into computers quickly, and it seems like he won't be doomed to decades of trying to find themselves like many of us did.

Type
    INtp

You strike me as a IXTJ and not a typical P...I could be wrong.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Architect View Post
    It's not uncommon. INTP's who are fortunate enough to find their thing early on in life are like this. Einstein was one. A EE INTP friend of mine (born on the other side of the planet within a year of me) is another. My kid is one too I think - growing up with me (yeah he's an INTP too) he fell into computers quickly, and it seems like he won't be doomed to decades of trying to find themselves like many of us did.
    Hm, I see. Very nice to hear about your kid, as well.

I guess all my skills, and so eventually my profession, eventually grew out of wanting to express my imagination, what I now call my paracosm. First it was drawing, then it was writing (in the form of simple comic books), then came the first computers -- and there, a whole new dimension of the world outside became apparent to me. As before, perhaps this can be a "happy accident", but I didn't get into programming because I wanted a career in it. I got into programming because it was a way to express my imagination, to play, to explore, to escape the rest of the nonsensical world around me. My purpose was to dream, and to express my dreams. Programming was just a favored means to do so. Then one day someone realized I could write code better than others (who had been explicitly hired to program), and bang -- I became a programmer. My career fell rather "accidentally" from me pursuing my life's purpose to (explore and express my) dream. That dynamic remains true today.
    Last edited by Ptah; 10-16-2016 at 06:06 PM.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by DaDaMan View Post
    You strike me as a IXTJ and not a typical P...I could be wrong.
    Ptah is the INTP missing child on the side of a milk container, 100% Grade-A home boy

I guess all my skills, and so eventually my profession, eventually grew out of wanting to express my imagination, what I now call my paracosm. First it was drawing, then it was writing (in the form of simple comic books), then came the first computers -- and there, a whole new dimension of the world outside became apparent to me. As before, perhaps this can be a "happy accident", but I didn't get into programming because I wanted a career in it. I got into programming because it was a way to express my imagination, to play, to explore, to escape the rest of the nonsensical world around me. My purpose was to dream, and to express my dreams. Programming was just a favored means to do so. Then one day someone realized I could write code better than others (who had been explicitly hired to program), and bang -- I became a programmer. My career feel rather "accidentally" from me pursuing my life's purpose to (explore and express my) dream. That dynamic remains true today.
    Interesting - it was similar for me. The earlier things (music, physics) were some kind of inferior craving I realize now. According to Drenth that's the usual way of it. Having an ISTP engineering oriented older brother meant (thankfully) I grew up around technology and computers, and I loved playing with them too. But I didn't take them very seriously. Lofty activities like music or physics was far more attractive. This resonates

Programming was just a favored means to do so.
    Yes exactly. Long story short I think what we're talking about here is what I mentioned in the Q&A, which is that our true/best work isn't that interesting in a way because it's who we are. Without knowing it Einstein expressed this well, he said that if he had a choice he would have been a musician, it's the one thing that gives him real happiness. The subtext is that he isn't that good at it, but he was obviously excellent at Physics, so that's what he did, though Physics gives him satisfaction but not joy. Which is my experience, music gives me joy but not a lot of satisfaction.