Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NaNoWriMo

Type
    intp

NaNoWriMo

After years of thinking that I could maybe eventually write a story someday, I might actually get my shit together for NaNoWriMo. Has anyone participated in this gauntlet and felt better for it?
    I wanna see your goodreads, so add me.

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    I wrote a novel once, not in November but in January, and it turned out horrible.

It also gave me a very clear direction of what I wanted in life: to not be a writer, for a start.

Type
    INTP
    I have not, have known people who have and glad they participated. I might actually try it although I've got a feeling I'll be too busy. I do have a novel idea that I should prolly start prepping and outlining and then be ready when Nov 1 comes.

If you've not written a story, I'd suggest starting with a short story or two over the next six weeks, read about the craft of writing, start jotting down premise & character ideas now so that way you won't be staring at a blank word doc thinking, "OK, now what??"

eyeing you rabbit warrior kitsune's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    a vast moor in the old world brimming with jackrabbits where three rivers decussate
    Inspired by NaNoWriMo, I went on a binge and wrote 1700 words per day for three consecutive months. It was unstructured, but I felt proud of all that writing regardless. Later, I printed it all out and went back and highlighted sections which were all related to one theme and I'm using a lot of what was there as a concept for a future essay. I've never tried to actually write a story. I would have no idea where to start.

"
    'I cannot play with you,' the fox said. 'I am not tamed.'" - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Le Petit Prince (1943)

REMINDER TO SELF WHEN DEALING WITH THE RABBIT WARRIOR: "All warfare is based on deception." - Sun Tzu,
    The Art of War

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsune View Post
    I've never tried to actually write a story. I would have no idea where to start.
    One person with a need.

Type
    INTP
    I've attempted but never really made it to the end before.

Tempting to try again though. Not so much to create a novel but just to increase my daily output of writing, in general, even if it's just my morning pages. I do find that the greater the volume of total shit that I write, the more good stuff I will inadvertently end up writing.

Or... I might do NaPoWriMo instead.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    No.

Maybe I should. But I'm not really sure fiction writing is my metier as such.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    I gave it a go last year, ultimately falling far short due to a weak story idea and a lots of distractions. If I do it this time I'll try to make more time and a better idea going in.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I think I'll give it another go this year. Got a great deal on Scrivener one year for taking part. By the end I was writing words to write words so I could get the discount. No regrets.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    I'm planning to use it as an excuse to finish the first draft of the novel I already half-wrote.