Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NaNoWriMo

Type
    intp

NaNoWriMo

After years of thinking that I could maybe eventually write a story someday, I might actually get my shit together for NaNoWriMo. Has anyone participated in this gauntlet and felt better for it?
    I wanna see your goodreads, so add me.

-
    Type
    xxxx
    I wrote a novel once, not in November but in January, and it turned out horrible.

It also gave me a very clear direction of what I wanted in life: to not be a writer, for a start.

Type
    INTP
    I have not, have known people who have and glad they participated. I might actually try it although I've got a feeling I'll be too busy. I do have a novel idea that I should prolly start prepping and outlining and then be ready when Nov 1 comes.

If you've not written a story, I'd suggest starting with a short story or two over the next six weeks, read about the craft of writing, start jotting down premise & character ideas now so that way you won't be staring at a blank word doc thinking, "OK, now what??"

eyeing you rabbit warrior kitsune's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    a vast moor in the old world brimming with jackrabbits where three rivers decussate
    Inspired by NaNoWriMo, I went on a binge and wrote 1700 words per day for three consecutive months. It was unstructured, but I felt proud of all that writing regardless. Later, I printed it all out and went back and highlighted sections which were all related to one theme and I'm using a lot of what was there as a concept for a future essay. I've never tried to actually write a story. I would have no idea where to start.

"
    'I cannot play with you,' the fox said. 'I am not tamed.'" - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Le Petit Prince (1943)

REMINDER TO SELF WHEN DEALING WITH THE RABBIT WARRIOR: "All warfare is based on deception." - Sun Tzu,
    The Art of War

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsune View Post
    I've never tried to actually write a story. I would have no idea where to start.
    One person with a need.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I've attempted but never really made it to the end before.

Tempting to try again though. Not so much to create a novel but just to increase my daily output of writing, in general, even if it's just my morning pages. I do find that the greater the volume of total shit that I write, the more good stuff I will inadvertently end up writing.

Or... I might do NaPoWriMo instead.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    No.

Maybe I should. But I'm not really sure fiction writing is my metier as such.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    I gave it a go last year, ultimately falling far short due to a weak story idea and a lots of distractions. If I do it this time I'll try to make more time and a better idea going in.

Type
    INTP
    I think I'll give it another go this year. Got a great deal on Scrivener one year for taking part. By the end I was writing words to write words so I could get the discount. No regrets.
    For some, "how", not "why", is the fundamental unit of measure for curiosity. This divergence is neither parallel, nor straight. Where one might have a "why?-5" problem, it might only be a "how?-2" question. But then, there are also many things where the "why?" is immediately obvious but the "how?" is best measured in centuries of perpetual wonder. Both approaches have their drawbacks.

If one is superior, the other is unaware of it.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    I'm planning to use it as an excuse to finish the first draft of the novel I already half-wrote.