Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Word frequency analysis of reddit posts by MBTI type (INTP, INTJ, ENTP)

Type
    INTP

Word frequency analysis of reddit posts by MBTI type (INTP, INTJ, ENTP)

I was bored so I did a quick analysis of reddit posts of self-identifying INTPs, INTJs and ENTPs using http://www.redective.com/. Note: common words are filtered out and minimum word length is 4 chars.

The following is a rank of most commonly used words grouped by type (the sample size was 12 for each type). Kinda interesting to note the differences:

Spoiler: old version with lower sample size
    Last edited by Deckard; 09-14-2015 at 10:22 AM.

Type
    INTP
    While you're at it, might (doh!) consider n-grams too. I think n-gram frequency would be more revealing. I'd recommend capping at 5-grams because even in large corpus, the frequency count drops off at about a 4-gram.

It's possible I just want to find out if anyone said "anyone shit different", "haha team amazing", or "friends fuck another".
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    You definitely need more observations. Everyone knows INTJ's are incapable of both feeling and love.

Type
    INfj
    actually,

---

in seriousness though, that's pretty cool. Any way to bump up the sample size significantly?
    Empty your mind. Be formless. Shapeless. Like water. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

Type
    INTP
    Shit. What type wrote "Love, Actually"? Leaning INTJ.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    While you're at it, might (doh!) consider n-grams too. I think n-gram frequency would be more revealing. I'd recommend capping at 5-grams because even in large corpus, the frequency count drops off at about a 4-gram.

It's possible I just want to find out if anyone said "anyone shit different", "haha team amazing", or "friends fuck another".
    Can't do that since I'm using the frequency data calculated by the redective site, and it only looks at individual words. I could write a script to do my own scraping & analysis but I'm not quite that bored.

Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    You definitely need more observations. Everyone knows INTJ's are incapable of both feeling and love.
    Yeah I thought that was odd. Perhaps they talk about those things more because they understand them less? If a robot was trying to look human what would it talk about?

Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    actually,

---

in seriousness though, that's pretty cool. Any way to bump up the sample size significantly?
    Yeah just by trawling for more users in the mbti subforums who have enough posts. It's a bit of a manual process which is why I didn't include too many.

Type
    INtP
    I'm a little surprised that 'things' scores so highly in both INTP's and ENTP's. I use it but not very often. I may be wrong, but I don't remember seeing 'things' used here very often either. I do use the other words in the top five consistently, however.
    The idea that there is more is essential to our humanity.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarlFox View Post
    I'm a little surprised that 'things' scores so highly in both INTP's and ENTP's. I use it but not very often. I may be wrong, but I don't remember seeing 'things' used here very often either. I do use the other words in the top five consistently, however.
    If you are a reddit user you can plug your own username into http://www.redective.com/ and see how often you really use things.

Type
    INTP
    I guess we learned that ENTP's are a little bit too in love with themselves.

Number 6 on the most typed words. That's pretty high.

Edit: Thinking a little more, i guess it could alternatively mean that entp's have a much more diverse vocabulary than intp's and intj's.

But, you know, given how similar the entp list is to the intp one, i'm going to go with the self love theory.
    Violence is never the right answer, unless used against heathens and monsters.

Type
    INTP
    I doubled the sample size and increased the list size to top 40 (see OP), and now I'm officially sick of copy-pasting in excel.
    Last edited by Deckard; 09-14-2015 at 09:57 AM.