Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show me your rock collection!

Type
    INTP

Show me your rock collection!

These are some pictures I managed to snag at the Rice Northwest Rock and Mineral Museum. @rincon, @Delilah, @gator: This thread is mostly because it would be incredibly rude of me not to share. I shit you not, I practically wept when looking at the petrified wood museum and refuse to discuss my reaction to the picture agate... but I dubbed it the Hall of Tears.

I was happy and sad at the same time. I was sad because I was seeing things more beautiful than I will ever be able to make because I don't a millions of years to work with--and ecstatic because I got to look at these things--and sad that I didn't have forever to do it. I only had a couple hours. It felt like forever and never and I didn't want to leave and I hate that it's so far away.

If you ever get the opportunity to go, go. It looks like a rinky dink thing from the outside because it used to be someone's house--mansion really but that's not quite obvious until you get to the enormous basement--and it's stupid cheap. But don't tell them.

Their gift shop is pretty awesome too. There's some really nice things in there.

But enough about me, here's some pretty stones!

Spoiler: Nice

Spoiler: Cool

Spoiler: Interesting!

Spoiler: Holy Fuck!

Spoiler: Holy Fucking Fuck!

Spoiler: Quartz For Metalheads

These next few were taken from a room to showcase flourescence. The pictures are extra shabby, but that's because I didn't have any goddam time! You walk into a dark room, and just when you think, "Huh. Maybe there's nothing here", a hum comes up and some form of non-visible light makes a bunch of different rocks show up. I'm sure the sign outside explained the whole thing, but I didn't really have time to read shit. I wanted to see as much as I could.

About 10-20 seconds later, the hum changed and the rocks changed colour again, most of them becoming more brilliant and glowy. Flourine in particular soaks it up--in fact, the flourine was the last to stop glowing about 10-20 seconds later when the lights went out. Then, natural light comes up and you get about 10-20 seconds seeing all the rocks you would never have guessed were awesome.

It really wasn't enough time for the little point 'n shoot I was using to focus. Consequently, the pictures are crap. Of course, they're all crap compared to being there and seeing these things right in front of your greedy eyeballs.

Spoiler: Opal Under Some Non-Visible Light

Spoiler: Same Opal Under Different Non-Visible Light

Spoiler: Same Opal Under Normal Light

Spoiler: Something glowy

Spoiler: Dim

Spoiler: Same set having a rave

The purple cubic one is a massive fluorine crystal.

Spoiler: Suspiciously well exposed fossil

Spoiler: Nifty 'decayed' Ammonite

Spoiler: Crab Cake

Spoiler: Green Quartz

Spoiler: Mildly interesting

Spoiler: Jeebus. This is Absorbing.

Spoiler: ...

Spoiler: I see bewbs

Spoiler: ...How can such beautiful solitude be so heartbreaking and happy?

Spoiler: It's ok. He has a buddy.

Spoiler: Labradorite! (So shiny! So Countertop!)

Spoiler: Could not Focus, Trust me, they're Beautiful.

Spoiler: Moar Opal Thunderegg!

I took two slightly different angles to try and capture how this thing shifts. It's like watching shapes in mist in rock.

@Ptah: This is what I imagine the Swords of Power might look like.
    Spoiler: Meteor Metal!
    This is a beauty. Shiny metal with mottling from blobs. It's like Kirby Crackle in meteoric iron!

The gray bits look like polished steel in the light. Dark mirror finish.

Spoiler: Scarecrow's Future

Spoiler: Obligatory

Spoiler: Count the rings! Then add a few million.

Spoiler:

Spoiler: Count the... Whaa?

Spoiler: Gift Shop Items Of Note

This one looks like brain scan of something with parasites. Did not buy. Did want to.

This is another stunner. Did not buy. Did want to.

Spoiler: Hard on the outside, creamy on the inside

Spoiler: It's like a flower! Or a volcano!

Did I mention my camera was on low battery the entire time? So... yeah, sometimes I just didn't have time to get a good picture and just took what I could get. Sorry.
    Spoiler: Crazy Agate: Bear? Or Psychedelic Guitar?

Spoiler: Sometimes they look fuzzy

Spoiler: Azurite is Blue. Malachite is Green. Wide shot.

Spoiler: USA! USA! USA!

Spoiler: Haha. Just kidding. I took time to get the Crazy Agate right

Spoiler: The card is in the way of this solid smoke. Shut up Card.

Spoiler: Boom! The Art Deco explosion actually happened a really long time ago.

Spoiler: They say this is agate. Preeety sure it's blood.

Spoiler: Are you crying yet? You will. Soon. Not yet. Soon.

--Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    INTP
    Too many pics for one post.

Spoiler: This is less intense.

Spoiler: A little more intense, but the flash is too strong. Sorry.

Spoiler: It's ok. Just let down your guard.

Spoiler: Hah. One of these looks sort of like an MRI of someone's belly.

Normally, I find carving of rocks like these to be annoying. But this one... This one is pretty damn good.
    Spoiler: Not bad.

Spoiler: Some petrified wood and pinecones!

Spoiler: It's so biiig!

Spoiler: Also biiig!

Spoiler: Gonna get a bit more intense.

Spoiler: I want to make sure you're prepared.

Spoiler: The one in the middle is fucking spooky

Spoiler: Grab a tissue. Here it comes.

I know right?

Spoiler: Imagine seeing these in person.

Spoiler: Right there, in your face

Spoiler: It's not fucking fair

Spoiler: I mean... C'mon!

Spoiler: You will never make anything this beautiful

Spoiler: Even if you had a million years

Spoiler: But you can try

Spoiler: ...

Spoiler: I can't even...

Pictures don't do these justice. Not by half. I stared at this for as long as I could stand it--and stand not looking at everything else. Gaaah. So intense.

Excuse me, my eyes are moist.

I barely got any pictures of anything. Seriously. There's so much more. The pieces are all fairly large, some are absurdly so. I felt completely overwhelmed in the good way. I'm so pissed I don't have an eidetic memory--you don't even know. It's so tragic.

Next time (and you better believe there will be a next time), I want to take a 3DS so I can get stereoscopic images. Not that I could share them on the internet--but you're lucky I didn't hold back. I was tempted to. But I figure it's enough torment to know I didn't take pictures of everything.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    INTP

-
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Spoiler: Suspiciously well exposed fossil

Spoiler: Nifty 'decayed' Ammonite

These aren't minerals. Did that town have a gym? Pretty sure you'll get one of these as a prize if you go in and hit the gym leader on the nose.
    Last edited by Sappho; 09-21-2015 at 07:45 AM.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Prior on the Astronomy thread I posted Photobucket uploaded images of Muonionalusta Meteorite (I didn't upload other meteorites found on my Facebook album which has some more interesting ones.

I haven't uploaded more recent ones, and haven't photographed a Hematite & Quartz crystals along with a large 2 Kg quartz I bought on Ebay from China. Silicon (and carbon fossilized) minerals are interesting and I've been curious what the little crystals comprise of in meteorite samples. A lot goes on in billions of years floating in space. I'm missing a Seymchan pallasite, NWA 7650 L6, Sahara 97001. Not missing much as these primarily fit inside a microscope slide box. . .

Optics can make things interesting; unfortunately I probably will try and reset my endeavors and do some other things for once. Great mineral samples btw.
    Last edited by Catoptric; 09-21-2015 at 07:00 AM.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Catoptric View Post
    Prior on the Astronomy thread I posted Photobucket uploaded images of Muonionalusta Meteorite (I didn't upload other meteorites found on my Facebook album which has some more interesting ones.

I haven't uploaded more recent ones, and haven't photographed a Hematite & Quartz crystals along with a large 2 Kg quartz I bought on Ebay from China. Silicon minerals are interesting and I've been curious what the little crystals comprise of in meteorite samples. A lot goes on in billions of years floating in space. I'm missing a Seymchan pallasite, Agoudal iron, NWA 7650 L6, Sahara 97001.

Optics can make things interesting; unfortunately I probably will try and reset my endeavors and do some other things for once. Great mineral samples btw.
    Ugh. Now I need to see them under a microscope. Why don't I have a microscope anymore? What the hell?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Oh God, I would have dropped to my knees right there. Thanks for posting these! I kinda wanna go there now.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I approve of this thread.

Type
    INTP
    This made me emotional, and that is not something that happens often, nor something I say lightly.

I'm gonna need a moment.
    You're using big words right now that you don't know the meaning of and you're capitalizing them. You shouldn't do that. ~Osito

Type
    INTP
    @Hephaestus: just seeing this thread now... so awesome! I was in DC last march and the Smithsonian has a pretty awesome collection too. Applause for your picture taking/posting effort.

@Delilah: OMG, you're still alive!? You've gotta stop doing this to me, I can't take it anymore.