Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reactions to VW Scandal

Type
    INTP

Reactions to VW Scandal

VW has admitted to deliberately installing software in 11 million cars (500,000 sold in US) which would enable the vehicle to pass emission testing while emitting 10 to 40 times allowable limits of NOx in actual use (in US). This has been going on for years.

Some random questions. What kind of cheek does it take for a corporation to cheat on a test like this? Are emission standards for diesel strict enough in Europe? Do cities there have a bad smog problem? Should regulations for corporations be treated like laws for individuals - i.e., if this was a US company should a SWAT team bust down the door and throw everyone to the ground while pointing guns at their head and yelling at them? How tip of the iceberg is this sort of thing?

My take is VW clearly doesn't understand the game. You buy the legislation and then sell smog spewing sedans with abandon. I'm also never going to buy a VW.

Type
    xxxx
    that's terrible. i also drive a vw that's one of the affected vehicles, of course. this is just perfect.

Type
    INFP
    You have to suppose that they knew the whole time this would eventually be discovered and decided to go through with it based on cost-benefit analysis right? If they thought they wouldn't get caught that's really cute
    Last edited by MoneyJungle; 09-23-2015 at 12:04 AM. Reason: too windy to ride my bicycle so I'm sitting inside

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    I guess years of electrical problems in their vehicles would make a convenient cover story for why that could happen.

I guess it helps with resale value and ownership retention but it doesn't seem like it's that big of an advantage for them. It's not like they have to pay to make a car pass emissions once it's out the door. Unless they've got some warranty promise going.

Not that I'm anti environment protection but I am shocked that they'd do something that'd err on the side of the consumer. How could I complain if a big corporation is trying to do the everyday man a solid??

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan26 View Post
    Not that I'm anti environment protection but I am shocked that they'd do something that'd err on the side of the consumer. How could I complain if a big corporation is trying to do the everyday man a solid??
    That's the weird thing, they don't really seem to get anything out of this. I hardly expect that the amount of people who factor emission test results into whether or not they're going to buy a car outweigh the amount of money they're going to have to pay now. Unless their cars simply are so terrible that they couldn't be sold without this.

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    You have to suppose that they knew the whole time this would eventually be discovered and decided to go through with it based on cost-benefit analysis right?
    Exactly what I was thinking. There must be a paper trail of that, though. And wouldn't that be fraud, with criminal charges?

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan26 View Post
    I guess it helps with resale value and ownership retention but it doesn't seem like it's that big of an advantage for them. It's not like they have to pay to make a car pass emissions once it's out the door. Unless they've got some warranty promise going.
    They wouldn't be able to sell them if they didn't pass emissions.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lud View Post
    That's the weird thing, they don't really seem to get anything out of this. I hardly expect that the amount of people who factor emission test results into whether or not they're going to buy a car outweigh the amount of money they're going to have to pay now. Unless their cars simply are so terrible that they couldn't be sold without this.
    I think that it's so psychological in determining whether a car is good or bad. Getting an emission test is a big enough pain in the butt as it is. It's also feels like an extortion expense by the state. To then go for a test, fail, and then have to go get it fixed can often require a few hundred dollars or more to get something replaced. It's especially aggravating if nothing leading up to that point seemed to be wrong with how the car was running. Then, you don't always know what it is. New sensor, $60-$70 bucks. You sorta grit your teeth but you feel like, well, I guess the law is working. I don't want to needlessly pollute. But then it's not that and then you just blew your free re-test and still don't know what it is. You get something else replaced and then it works. Two trips to the mechanic & three trips getting smogged = I'm never buying a VW again.

I think if you don't have that sort of hassle and people ask you about a VW you say "oh, yeah, sure, I had normal maintenance stuff but she was basically a dream." Those emission tests can often put a clock on when you get rid of a vehicle. Whereas you might just run a car until you see a great deal or try to put off after the holidays or go through one last summer, when the emissions comes due and there's a looming bill to get engine work done or cut and be done with a vehicle, chances are if you say peace out, you're not going to that same brand that's presenting you the ultimatum. At least, that'd be my guess.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    They wouldn't be able to sell them if they didn't pass emissions.
    After the first year, I'm saying. It's no big deal getting them eco ready in the factory but beyond that it's like any other expense that falls on the driver.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    that's terrible. i also drive a vw that's one of the affected vehicles, of course. this is just perfect.
    You KNEW. Didn't you?

You were in on it from the beginning, just driving your little car this whole time like our poor planet's atmosphere didn't even matter.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.