Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: managing INTP's at work

.: PERSISTENCE IS ALL :. Pan_Sonic_000's Avatar
    Type
    ENxx

managing INTP's at work

...blech...

Advices, please.
    Last edited by Pan_Sonic_000; 09-26-2015 at 02:58 AM.
    Wild skies
    Full moon and thoughts collide
    We look for answers in those catatonic, bloodshot eyes
    A steady stream of madness
    Rises to a flood...

...The clock is ticking for Bad Blood

Type
    INFP
    My ex was an INTP and she liked having the freedom to invent and alter the overall structure of her workplace, streamline projects, etc; I think INTP's like feeling that they have some sort of "world-building" role in their job.

She was insensitive and cutting and that caused problems for her. Authority issues and all that. I don't know what the solution to this is. I guess the goal is to give them as much freedom and opportunity to express creativity as possible? And lock them up in a small dungeon with a computer, far away from other humans?
    "Better not to feel too much until the crisis ends—and if it never ends, at least we’ll have suffered a little less, developed a useful dullness...The constant—and very real—fear of being hurt, the fear of death, of intolerable loss, or even of “mere” humiliation, leads each of us, the citizens and prisoners of the conflict, to dampen our own vitality, our emotional and intellectual range, and to cloak ourselves in more and more protective layers until we suffocate." - Toni Morrison

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I guess it depends on the kinds of tasks that they're doing. I like it when managers back off and give me the resources to let me do my thing and that goes well, so long as I have a clear picture of what the end goal of my work is. I always work better when I can see how my work fits in to the whole. And I always work better if I have a bit that I can take ownership of. But I'm pretty good at managing myself.

I would imagine that Pness is an issue with managing intps. So I'm thinking that setting timelines with clear deadlines at key stages would be a good thing, and adding in a bit of secret wiggle room into your schedule to compensate.

Type
    xxxx
    give them the info they need so they can be efficient (they'll hate you if you're the reason they repeat their work), be a good listener (cuz they usually have good input, but won't always push), don't hover or micromanage, trust their expertise, be a real person

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Follow through on all your commitments and be reliable. If someone is supposed to be in charge of me I expect her to be better at that shit than me. I need a boss who leads by example in addition to treating me with respect. I'll respect a person like that and want to work hard. In situations where my boss seems to give about as much of a shit as I do, I'm not motivated to work very hard.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I don't know. The original version of the OP contained what I'd call the most important insights. (Emphasize results, not methods, and minimize the imposition of external structure on the schedule/workplace.)

I guess I'd add that facilitating specialization is helpful for me. I like it when everyone gets a defined area of responsibility and is basically expected to become the resident expert on their particular part of the process. IME, this cuts down on my "authority issues" quite a bit, since it's actually pretty easy for me to defer to people as far as questions about what they need from me to do their own job. I just don't like it when someone acts like they know how I should be doing my job better than I do, and I don't like it any more when I feel like I know how other people should be doing their own jobs better than they do.

Managers in particular make me happy when they can clearly define their own role and give me a sense of what it is that they do, so that I understand how my work fits into that and I can optimize my contributions to it on my own.

I prefer to be given long-term goals over lots of short-term requests, and as much advance warning of things that are going to be expected of me as possible.

I guess that just boils down to not micromanaging, but I'm sure you've figured that out already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I like clear goals (or rather requirements, maybe this is a software dev thing because without this a project is a clusterfuck) but the freedom to solve them in my own way, to be honest. This includes giving sufficient information about the financial/political aspects of the project so you have no surprises whilst running interference such that you don't have to get involved in it.

If they can't do what you need to do under these parameters (with perhaps this occasional kick up the backside if they are slacking), then you should just sack them, regardless of type.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    1) Set a goal.
    2) Set a deadline for that goal.
    3) Do nothing until deadline.
    4) Either fire INTP or congratulate them depending on outcome.

.: PERSISTENCE IS ALL :. Pan_Sonic_000's Avatar
    Type
    ENxx
    I deleted my original OP because I was drunk and rambling all over the place.

But the tl;dr was that I have a few INTP's and INFP's "underneath" me at work (it's a flat structure, but I am still senior...it's odd). I struck a bargain with them six months ago that I would basically get out of their way entirely, make sure they are not blocked by anyone else, question none of their process methods, including their hours or why they're gone for two hours every afternoon, what they're even working on, how or why they're doing it a certain way or any of that - and in return, they provide end results that meet an extremely high quality bar. That, and to give me direct answers when I ask direct questions.

So, it's basically like: "I would like a system / script that does this, this and this and it must not do this, this or this. Here's a programmer dedicated to helping you. Take two weeks to do it and let me know if you need help. Everyone else, leave him alone and don't ask for updates. "

This has worked out exceedingly well, although a traditional manager might find it horrifying because some of these folks are now coming in at 4pm and working till 1am in offices with cobalt lightbulbs and shitty EDM music. But I demand absolute top quality results in both function and design and they always blow my mind with what they deliver. This has kept my department in high-standing and has created an oddly cohesive team in a very introverted and detached kind of way.

So it's interesting that the responses I've gotten seem to square with how I've set this up. I just hope they don't get lazy and take advantage of it.

I would like to know one thing though: if someone wants you to revisit your work, whether because it's not good enough, doesn't fit a subjective style or whatever, how do you like this brought to your attention? Usually, I just skip past all the pleasantries and explain what needs to change, without neglecting the good part of their work. So far, this has been fine although I don't need to do that often. But I've noticed INTP's get testy when you let them know they've missed the mark on something they were sure they hit.

Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    Follow through on all your commitments and be reliable. If someone is supposed to be in charge of me I expect her to be better at that shit than me. I need a boss who leads by example in addition to treating me with respect. I'll respect a person like that and want to work hard. In situations where my boss seems to give about as much of a shit as I do, I'm not motivated to work very hard.
    Yes, exactly. I agree across the board, especially the bolded part. I always hated having to "obey" a boss because of their title rather than their relative competency.
    Wild skies
    Full moon and thoughts collide
    We look for answers in those catatonic, bloodshot eyes
    A steady stream of madness
    Rises to a flood...

...The clock is ticking for Bad Blood

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Never have a meeting when an email will suffice.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle