Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning to type

Type
    INTP
    We had a program in school called 'All The Right Type' where we spent a lot of time typing about things happening to Sarah in Dease Lake. It was boring and I didn't really learn to type without looking at my fingers until I got into chatting on msn.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    kids my age & younger taught themselves how to touch type thru online blogging & chatting on AIM and stuff. i was online since age 10 and will die with all my self-taught habits. i did have one completely useless typing class but that didn't change anything.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Now I think about it I was briefly taught on Mavis Beacon. I think I may have picked up one or two things from that in terms of what fingers I use for various keys but largely it has no effect.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    All I know is that I'm glad I can type. I took the polls in my classes. Almost none of my students can touch type. Most had never noticed the bumply things on the home keys.

Speaking with a keyboard is as easy for me as speaking with my mouth. I don't put any conscious thought into the keyboarding aspect of it. No more than I do into forming words with my mouth. It has reached that level of automatic. The less I think about what I'm doing the faster I can type. One of my students made the point that she would never learn to type because it wouldn't do any good anyway because you still have to stop to use numbers and symbols and punctuation. Oh how little she knows about true typing skillz. I have symbols on auto as well. It's at an intuitive level. I can't tell you off the top of my head where the ampersands and parentheses and percents and asterisks and such are, but if I decide to type one, it appears. And if I need to enter a large volume of numbers into a spreadsheet, I just stick the source paper into a clip by my computer, put my right hand on the home "5" on the number pad, and hit autopilot. In a few seconds, they'll all be entered.

To get that, I had to spend hours and hours in a JTPA class practicing. I won't lie. I hated it. I was dragged kicking and screaming into a situation in which I had to choose between staring at a wall and the slightly less boring option of doing lessons from a typing book all day every single day. It was a boring, repetitive and painful process, especially in the beginning when I had no skill at all. It took work, and a mean bitch standing over me making sure I never looked at my fingers, but look what I got for it.

Yeah, you know you're jealous
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    How many of you touch typists out there prefer the split keyboard?

I think I could stand to have something that was folded nearly in half. They exist, but they are insanely expensive.

The Keymouse kickstarter looks intriguing too, but at 450 bucks, I think most of their target audience is going to go for a graphics card upgrade instead.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    i didn't know what "touch typing" was until this thread. google says it just means typing with muscle memory which seems like something a lot of kids teach themselves just thru being online, social media, even texting in their phones during class or whatever. that's been a thing since i was in high school. nobody ever calls it "touch typing." ime it's older people who have more trouble with typing and learning things like keyboard commands/shortcuts.* i'm aware of the keyboard "speedbumps" but never relied on those (except when i did take a required class in middle school & we all had to type with cloths over our hands).

i know i don't type the "proper" way due to being self-taught but i've always had trouble with things like proper "fingering" even when i played piano, which i attributed to having smaller than average hands for a long time and having to adapt. :/

* touchy subject for me. i can get really annoying if i'm watching someone who uses their mouse to click things when they could be using shortcuts. i'll just yell them out, and it's annoying, but that's also how i learned to do stuff on the computer under super tight time constraints, by having mentors yell shortcuts at me.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 10-04-2015 at 10:29 PM.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    I taught myself to type, but was doing it incorrectly. Can't remember exactly how, but my finger placements were off and such. Anyway, I took a class in middle school where I learned proper touch typing, and that was really all it took. I picked up the proper method very quickly and improved my typing speed to where it is now (about 80/90 wpm).

Type
    INTj
    I taught myself to type "incorrectly"... I can type and program fluidly just looking at the screen as I'm doing now, but I failed all my typing classes in lower school (3rd grade).

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    i didn't know what "touch typing" was until this thread. google says it just means typing with muscle memory which seems like something a lot of kids teach themselves just thru being online, social media, even texting in their phones during class or whatever. that's been a thing since i was in high school. nobody ever calls it "touch typing." ime it's older people who have more trouble with typing and learning things like keyboard commands/shortcuts.* i'm aware of the keyboard "speedbumps" but never relied on those (except when i did take a required class in middle school & we all had to type with cloths over our hands).

i know i don't type the "proper" way due to being self-taught but i've always had trouble with things like proper "fingering" even when i played piano, which i attributed to having smaller than average hands for a long time and having to adapt. :/

* touchy subject for me. i can get really annoying if i'm watching someone who uses their mouse to click things when they could be using shortcuts. i'll just yell them out, and it's annoying, but that's also how i learned to do stuff on the computer under super tight time constraints, by having mentors yell shortcuts at me.
    I imagine it's probably like bowling or something, where you can have unconventional technique and still be competent or even really good, even if purists would argue that you'd be even better with "proper" technique. I'm sure you're right that kids who spend time using a keyboard are going to learn to type without looking without taking lessons. In my class the professor specifically asked about "typing without looking at the keyboard" and that's why it was so surprising to me. I think it might have to do with kids just not using keyboards for communication as much. Smartphones and tablets are much more popular these days as internet devices. People are doing a lot more typing with their thumbs - and maybe not saying as much as a result?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    Agreed. At the old place I remember having a discussion with @Resonance on the issue. Good news! She's come around.

I learned the absurd value of keyboard shortcuts doing audio processing. It was just so damn fast. In the time it took to navigate a dropdown menu for the first command of a sequence of commands, I could bang out the entire sequence. With a little practice, even more.

When I was tutoring, I would be exploding inside when a student was editing an essay using their mouse to do things like copy/paste or delete--and most of the time, it's a waste to use the mouse to select a specific point of insertion. It's agonizing watching someone try to click and drag when they could be using shift or shift+ctl and arrow keys. It's like watching someone counting change by hand by noting the value of each coin on a separate slip of paper, one at a time--not even keeping a tally but writing each value on a separate line--then carefully and methodically adding everything up on a calculator with two broken number keys.

And they keep dropping coins and having to start over.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)