Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: in defense of low-fat

Type
    INTP

in defense of low-fat

Finally a new entry on Denise's blog, and it's a fascinating read, with a heaping dose of History. She also sort of contradicts some earlier assertions she's made and draws attention to this. Worth reading if you have an interest in nutrition.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTj
    That is a long article, scrolling through it looks interesting, I'll definitely get to reading it after class. I have to say, I am biased as I always go with high fat diets and they've always worked for me.

Fat is delicious. I love it, and I weigh 120lbs. Why the hell would I listen to this?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by MuseedesBeauxArts View Post
    Fat is delicious. I love it, and I weigh 120lbs. Why the hell would I listen to this?
    It's not anti-fat gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    That is a long article, scrolling through it looks interesting, I'll definitely get to reading it after class. I have to say, I am biased as I always go with high fat diets and they've always worked for me.
    It's hard for me to say to what level a variance in fat content affects me. Right now it's about 30% of total calories, maybe less. I've introduced more saturated fat in recent years but the effect hasn't been noticeable. I actually feel better since somewhat increasing carb content from grains and rice (from close to zero) since trying the paleo shtick some time ago. I'm not sure how my meat-eating habits changed on the whole but I can recall that when I ate too little ('cause I was a cheap student) I felt weak. I may try going for more meatless days just to see what happens. I still eat a lot of vegetables and the odd fruit. Once thought to make that 65% of my intake but that seems kind of daunting. Feel like there's room to improve somehow.
    Last edited by Faust; 10-07-2015 at 02:55 AM.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Some amazing stuff in that article. I'm not exactly a carb-hater but I go the low carb route when dieting because it fits best with my taste preferences (meat, fat, cheese, etc.). I guess you have to go to extremes though either way. Extremely low carb or extremely low fat, not just an important reduction (at least where weight loss is concerned).

Neither of the two religions sound like something I'd be happy with long-term, not even in moderation. I love all dietary villains. :/
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    I find cutting fat is an easy way for me to cut calories. And cutting calories is the easiest way for me to lose weight. That said, even with cutting fat I'm still getting ~15-30% of my calories from fat on a daily basis. The only way I could get under 15% would be to cook all my food myself, and factors outside of my control would make that kind of drastic for me at the moment (though I have been considering it more strongly since it is taking forever for me to reach my target weight).

I don't think people should use a one size fits all approach to dieting. And I think proper nutrition is much more about getting enough of the good stuff than avoiding the bad stuff.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I've taken to putting heavy whipping cream on my cocoa pops, is that bad?

Type
    INTP
    I tend to call BS on most of these "it's not the calories you consume, it's the type of calories you consume" diet things. There are probably some grains of truth to all this mumbo jumbo of how your body metabolizes things, but it's not worth fussing about.

Eat a reasonably well balanced diet (i.e. a bit of everything, even crazy indulgent things to some extent) but keep an eye on total calories. And do some exercise. Weigh yourself periodically. If you are gaining weight, eat less calories, exercise more, or a bit of both. If you are not gaining weight, carry on.

I don't really get the obsession with not doing the above, but rather, looking to modify the type of calories consumed (often in an extreme fashion - like next to no carb, or next to no fat).

Type
    INTP
    I think the obsession is people trying to find the "one weird trick" approach that allows them to lose weight and be healthy while continuing to be a lazy glutton.

One thing I've learned is that weight loss is a whole different ball game now than it was when I was in college. Doing the same things does not get me anywhere near the same results.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    I tend to call BS on most of these "it's not the calories you consume, it's the type of calories you consume" diet things. There are probably some grains of truth to all this mumbo jumbo of how your body metabolizes things, but it's not worth fussing about.
    In terms of prescribed diet, I would share perhaps some of that skepticism, but that's a complete mischaracterization of the topic. And you would contradict yourself here by advocating a "reasonably well-balanced diet", which in addition to being highly arbitrary, by definition gives weight to the "type" of calories consumed, though that's a simplification. It would be dubious to claim that total calorie count is what matters above all, which may not be what you're saying but leans that way. Mind you, the types of food we consume, I'm led to believe, have an impact on the amount we're driven to eat, which relieves some stress and scrutinization over calories.

Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    I think the obsession is people trying to find the "one weird trick" approach that allows them to lose weight and be healthy while continuing to be a lazy glutton.
    I'm sure that's true for many consumers. I'm inclined to believe those studying nutrition have an interest in maximizing well-being, not laziness. Personally what I wouldn't get is being dismissive about this type of research.