Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't like vegetables.

Type
    INTP

Unhappy I don't like vegetables.

I never have.

Some speculate that I just haven't "had them prepared correctly" or that my parents didn't do the best job of introducing them to me as a child.

That's not true. I don't like vegetables because most of them taste like ass. I've eaten them in just about any form you can imagine.

There are exceptions of course. Starchy ones like potatoes are pretty good (esp. when fried). Green beans aren't bad. Raw carrots can be yummy. Legumes are a staple. But almost anything else, DO NOT LIKE. I suspect I am a supertaster. I don't like most veggies, I don't drink coffee, and I avoid beer when it comes to alcohol. The bitterness of some veggies is not all that unsimilar to soap. People think I'm exaggerating. I am not.

Which is bad. Vegetables are nutritious and their usage as a main part of a diet has many health benefits. So on occasion I will tolerate them. Try to mask their taste with spices.

But it's a losing battle. I don't like them. I never will.

Type
    INTP
    I know there's a fairly large % of the population that has a genetic variation which causes coriander to taste like soap -- might be what you have. I've also heard of a phenomenon where people in western countries can't enjoy veggies due to all the processed food overstimulating & recalbirating their brain & tastebuds: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...astebuds-study

Type
    INTP
    I think you mean cilantro?

Rajah was on that team. I am not.

Are you sure you just haven't had them prepared correctly? If your family is anything like mine then growing up the veggies you consumed came from a can or they tasted like shit because they were underseasoned and overcooked. Nowadays I just can't imagine how anyone could not enjoy the taste of fresh sweet bell peppers or spinach on a ham sandwich with spicy brown mustard or salty, crispy brussels sprouts sauteed in butter or baked sweet potato or pickled artichoke hearts(not from a can) or all kinds of other stuff. I'm sorry to second guess your preference but it's just so common to prepare stuff like this terribly and they all will be disgusting if prepared wrong, whereas with meats and grains you have more margin of error it seems to make things mediocre.

e: cilantro and coriander are the same plant

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    e: cilantro and coriander are the same plant
    I always thought cilantro was the leafy part and coriander was the seed. Same plant. Different flavors. I've never heard of anyone thinking the seed part tastes soapy.

Type
    INTP
    I do not like them
    in a house.
    I do not like them
    with a mouse.
    I do not like them
    here or there.
    I do not like them
    anywhere.

Type
    INTP
    When I was young, I literally used to throw up if I ate brocolli. I remember being ill for an hour after one meal. But as an adult, it's one of my favorite vegetables.

There are veggies I'll eat -- brocolli, carrots, lettuce, corn, green beans (especially french cut), asparagus, butternut squash, potatoes, peppers, tomatoes, bean sprouts. There are also veggies I cannot stand -- cucumbers, brussel sprouts, cauliflour, eggplant, sweet potatoes, red beets, yams, chili beans, etc.

The problem with veggies is that they don't satisfy my palate nor my stomach. I don't feel full, nor is eating pleasurable in a way that satisfies my need to eat. I usually need something else to go along with them. I'm trying to get into cooking them more often (usually they are the first thing to drop from my menu) since they have no real fat content compared to some of the crap I eat, but still working at that.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I don't like them. I never will.
    This is the same reason children don't like vegetables or "can't" do maths.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    i like veggies, but i like preparing them myself by simply steaming or boiling. brussels sprouts, broccoli, and asparagus are fucking delicious when they're cooked just right. i also love a good salad and crave salad pretty frequently, and there are some dishes that just aren't complete without vegetables, like for example bok choy in braised beef noodle soup.

Pan_Sonic_000
    Have you tried juicing them? If you can't stand eating them in any traditional sense, you can try tossing them into a juicer (I like the Vitamix, myself) and slamming a glass of goodness. Red cabbage + green cabbage + red beets + green apple = a tasty concoction. And it'll help prevent your prostrate turning into a lump of malignant shit.