Page 59 of 67 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Drinking Right Now?

Ethiopian black tea. Trying to get mildly caffeinated so I can get some work done before I go work out.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I made a Kolsch beer that turned out amazingly well; in fact it is the second time I've made this, and I've made many improvements in the process. Prior it had what I describe as some off flavors and I've realized that it's important to create a yeast starter, but also instead of a decent Kolsch yeast which I had used last time, I used an Omega Yeast called Where da funk? I also boiled it more intensely for the wort (which reminds me never to use a built in grills side burner as they can't stand extended heat and start to melt and expand/contract from the attached "gas distributor heads.") It's also best to allow the enzymes to extract the sugars by not keeping heat on the malt mash and keeping it reasonably hot while stirring so as to prevent hot spots that can destroy the enzymes; which is also why I'm glad to have started using kettle bags instead of smaller muslin bags, as it is far easier to stir the "grain bill" as a whole, rather than trying to fetch the balls of densely packed grain balls that expand as they absorb water.

In short the higher boil temperatures for the wart post grain extraction, along with cold crashing with ice and wort chiller, made a much cleaner beer in addition to incorporating Whirlfloc clarifying tablets and yeast nutrient prior to using an actual yeast starter in advance, provided a perfectly made beer without any of the odd flavor profiles developed from attempting to extend secondary fermentation to try and clean it up (which basically implies, even if it ended up "looking clear" with the addition of clarifying agents, it still won't deny the fact that it developed odd flavor profiles from not getting sufficient yeast fermentation. One thing I've discovered is that no yeast you buy will sufficiently prepare the fermentation, without the aid of a starter in advance (I guess it's easier for a smaller volume to be stirred around and tossed into a larger volume, and just expecting the fermenter to "catch up" doesn't always work as well.) It might really just be down to proper stirring of the grain as well as monitoring temperatures (hot and cold "crashing" of the proteins makes it a cleaner beer.)

In short it is a richly velvety Kolsch that would be hard to find anywhere, and it amazes me how much better and cheaper it is compared to "trying out new beers" with whatever is limited in availability, at a much higher cost overall (let's just say I would easily expect to spend $7-8 for a bottle of this, and any 5 gallon will produce at a minimum 28 22 oz bottles.

Aside from trying out some bottles I've made from last year (the abbey ale) and discovering how it's transitioned (more "raisin, fig, date") I've only managed to set aside some of the newer bottles, and have been pleasantly surprised by a beer named after a star constellation, Alpha Leonis (and look. . . It seems I am still the only one to review it. . .), and I am looking forward to a Brunch Stout beer that I brushed aside for the longest time even though it has all the makings of an excellent beer (and is based off the Founders Breakfast stout if I'm not mistaken which goes for about $15 for a 4-pack of 12 oz bottles and is extremely highly rated,) and even managed to get a free kit when I spent $120, which I will hold aside for "regular" American beers and a variety of saison (which reminds me, I already made using bitter orange and incorporated a few cubes of oak, and I am equally amazed by it as the Kolsch. I genuinely believe it is the true incarnation of the beers in their historical inception, and most things available commercially are precisely that. . . commercial beer.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Pine Sol w/ orang n mang
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Habesha beer, cheers!

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by MuseedesBeauxArts View Post
    Habesha beer, cheers!
    No! Stop it!
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Vodka, Archers and Orange.

Hottest and longest day of the year here.

The only way to cope is to get drunk.

Type
    INTP
    I've tried a few sour beers recently, apparently they're a fad right now. I was turned off of these after what I had tried at a festival, but had one from Nickel Brook that was kind of refreshing, the Cucumber Lime Gose. Also nice mixed with an oz of gin. Still I can't say I particularly like those types of brews.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Bite Hard apple cider and Pyrat rum, it's among the healthiest alcohol u can consume, get ur vitamin C

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by BIOTCH View Post
    Bite Hard apple cider and Pyrat rum, it's among the healthiest alcohol u can consume, get ur vitamin C
    You're like the resident irish sarah silverman. I'd take a stab between them yams. Mmh

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by BIOTCH View Post
    Actually now I'm wondering if that crazy verbal diarrhea thing u do is hot in real life?