Page 79 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2969777879

Thread: What Are You Drinking Right Now?

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx

it hasn't started yet but i have faith that it will or at least that's what my body is softly saying to me

so softly... the quietest voice...
    yesssssss

i gotta remember to try out different period teas cuz boredom and i like talking about this

i could even make a period teas reviews thread just for an excuse to talk about this more
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Type
    INTP
    Earlier I had some O'maras Irish Cream (similar to Bailey's), and later went out to pick up some Warsteiner in a mini-keg so I could reuse the keg (which costs $17 by itself on Amazon) for beer projects (currently I have a very unusual "root beer" with a ton of other stuff kind of like a mulled beer, including an addition of mugwort, heather tips, and goji berry) and picked up a strange clearance price of "buy two bottles for $10 which included such things as Saint Bernadus Christmas Ale, STROH JAGERTEE LIQUEUR (usually around $20 and is similar to Jagermeister,)
    Catdaddy Spiced Moonshine which usually goes for $30, and something called Wolfberger - Amer Fleur Joie which also goes for around $20-30 and apparently is added to flavor beer (it's smell reminds me of grog as well as a particular vermuth though with a sweeter palette)?

The keg was $27 and the total came out to about $50.

In the past I have gone to the place (I might go about once or twice a year, though recently it's been about 3-4 years since I've stepped foot in the place, in part because I started brewing beer and haven't bothered much to check it out, even though it's a pretty cool place with tons of uncommon wines (perhaps wines that "fancier places" might not carry due to being very uncommon grape varieties, but even the more well know burgundy region wines are somewhat out of reach for most to consider) and would pick up a bottle on clearance. I'll admit that I am somewhat surprised by what I find.

Type
    INTP
    I bottled/kegged two 5 gallon batches and tried the unprimed/noncarbonated results, which were fairly pleasant despite some initial uncertainty due to pellicle formation on one of them that turned into a slight mush similar to top fermentation beer, despite the beer seeming to have finished (edit: well of course this wasn't the case; I resorted to releasing gas from every bottle, upturning the one mini keg to release gas in addition to placing in a fridge to limit fermentation. I'll basically keep a close eye on it and place it in a cool environment. The flavors will likely be excellent at first though will quickly turn into a nasty flavor, so I will probably try to finish it as soon as possible. These aren't the kinds of bottles that get better with age, due to contamination.)

RABBIT HOLE RAPTURE FUSION BROWN ALE is a professional beer and came as a total surprise to me to find available as I had just picked a 6-pack up in stores and liked it (and I hadn't been checking the brewing suppliers website thoroughly due to buying primarily from Northern Brewer) and it seems to have been on the website for a few years already. I would rank it as one of the better beers I've brewed/tried despite it having pellicle (which is often a sign of contamination usually from lack of proper sanitation.)

WHITETAIL WIT - ALL GRAIN BEER RECIPE KIT seems to be a clone of the famous Celis White

Both are a rather high alcohol content (in fact I bottled them about an hour or two ago and only tried a small glass of either, and feel a little lightheaded from it) and have a slight haze by their nature. Due to these being all grain I can only vouch for the beer often turning out much better, and surprisingly this Texas Brewing Inc. company gives extremely good prices for all grain and their extract kits are similarly priced to competitors; usually websites like Northern Brewer give only a slight discount (even if selling the equipment often used for all grain brewing would be in their best interest,) and I've been rather pleased using brew in a bag methods and have adopted techniques to manage it effectively.

I will be brewing another of their kits called Dragon de Oro which is a pretty serious beer, along with McGregor's 70 Shilling Scottish Ale.

Their prices are very cheap when buying all grain (with or without discounts or special promotions) as I only spent about $100 for all 4 of those kits, and yet for some reason I ordered from Austin Homebrew spending twice that amount and only bought 2 kits with separate ingredients that I would use to make recipes not available on their website. One of them is a Old Rasputin Russian Imperial stout modeled after this beer, as well as Blanche de Chambly cloned version by Unibroue.

Fortunately the extract versions are rather cheap for the kinds of beer, and the all grain is not sufficiently cheap enough to prefer over extract, which is partly why I bought these as easier kits to make in addition to a more "hands-on" all grain beer I was going to produce; specifically a 'Killer Kolsch' as well as a beer called Imperator that was featured on Popular Mechanics that seems to attempt to recreate Ayinger's Celebrator Dopplebock (although the requirements to recreate this beer are similar to a lagering process to develop a smoother profile, however it may not be a big deal to use an ale fermentation temp. Also I was going to make a beer called SUMMER IN ANTWERP: BELGIAN PALE ALE and similar German beer such as Munich.
    Last edited by Catoptric; 08-29-2018 at 12:28 PM.