Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mental Illness

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Mental Illness

It's not a reason to act like a selfish piece of shit. Being a selfish piece of shit, however, is a really good reason to act like one.

True or false.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

DOA Space Invaders Champion Neville's Avatar
    Type
    Taur
    People are way too indulgent with this shit.

Suck it up buttercup no one cares.
    “Then there you lie like the one warm spark in the heart of an arctic crystal.”

Type
    INTP
    Mental illness is a great reason to act in a way that is contrary to the ideal...especially when you feel miserable about having a mental illness in the first place, because you feel like you're losing something(be it dignity, advantage, opportunity, or something else) in pretty well every circumstance.

I mean, it's not like it's rewarding to act like a total asshat unless you're totally miserable in the first place anyway. Even then, it's not that rewarding...others' misery merely offers a little bit of respite from your own misery, which is still well intact after you've finished doing the asshat thing.

It's takes a disproportionate amount of compassion from others to change things sometimes...but giving that sort of compassion is the thing that changes the world most, imo.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I'm just thinking about the fact that different people deal with illness in different ways, and it isn't fair to attribute someone else's assholery to their mental illness 100% of the time. I have to hold myself to ethical standards, and when I fail, I'm responsible. Always. I can't afford to give every medicated individual (which is a fuckton of people) a free pass every time they fail.

The problem is when friends and family indulge things like narcissistic, passive-aggressive behavior and emotional manipulation on a daily basis because anything these people do wrong is just the disease, not really "them". That doesn't exist. There is no such thing. Nobody becomes possessed and completely unaccountable for their words and deeds because they are depressed, bipolar, have BPD, or whatever. Nobody. Sometimes you have to face reality; that your best friend, sibling, parent, spouse, coworker, etc., is, in fact, just a fucking piece of shit. That's all I'm saying.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    xNxx
    I'm strictly NIMBY because there's no shortage of extraverts around who want to crush up emotional toxic sludge into jenkem.

Type
    INFP
    Over-diagnoesed maybe. Or maybe people with garden variety depression don't belong under the same umbrella as schizophrenics. Surely there's people who are incapable of decent relationships and societal contribution but they're exceptional.

The whole thing seems like a cash-grab by pharma and therapists (who probably couldn't do any other job if their lives depended on it). The whole economic model relies on chronic conditions that require life-long treatment. Cha-ching! I think most people would better spend their money on personal trainers than these quacks.

I'm hoping neuro-science can nip a lot of this crap in the bud in my lifetime. How many more dudes on SSRIs have to commit mass shootings in the meantime? Still, I don't find myself having to do anything for the pseudo-disabled. I imagine some of my taxes goes to them but you really can't lose sleep over the way they spend your taxes or you'll wind up in the gutter babbling to yourself.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I'm just thinking about the fact that different people deal with illness in different ways, and it isn't fair to attribute someone else's assholery to their mental illness 100% of the time. I have to hold myself to ethical standards, and when I fail, I'm responsible. Always. I can't afford to give every medicated individual (which is a fuckton of people) a free pass every time they fail.

The problem is when friends and family indulge things like narcissistic, passive-aggressive behavior and emotional manipulation on a daily basis because anything these people do wrong is just the disease, not really "them". That doesn't exist. There is no such thing. Nobody becomes possessed and completely unaccountable for their words and deeds because they are depressed, bipolar, have BPD, or whatever. Nobody. Sometimes you have to face reality; that your best friend, sibling, parent, spouse, coworker, etc., is, in fact, just a fucking piece of shit. That's all I'm saying.
    Mental illness or not, I believe that people are only capable of choosing what they perceive to be the good in any particular moment(even if they are to regret it afterward). I think it's actually a position of privilege to have the self-awareness and insight to be able to fully assume responsibility for all of one's actions and emotions and thoughts.

As for people being 'just a fucking piece of shit'...I think it's pretty easy to make a case that most people are that. It's more interesting to think in terms of how it might be possible to elevate people so that other descriptions are more appropriate.

The late Wayne Dyer had some good advice:
    "See the light in others, and treat them as if that is all you see."

I can say from experience that changing the way we look at other people changes the way that people behave towards us. Seeing the best in them seems to be quite powerful.

...but admittedly, it's tough to see people that way when you don't have a good deal of investment in them or in their lives.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Is being a selfish piece of shit a mental illness?

or is that as mentally healthy as you can get

Type
    INTP
    Honestly, who cares WHY they're an asshole. If they consistently make you miserable, they're not worth your time. Life is too short. Leave the garbage on the road and move on.
    Violence is never the right answer, unless used against heathens and monsters.

Type
    INTP
    "Hate the sin, love the sinner". I think it's pretty easy to judge someone without understanding what it's like to walk in their shoes. We like to think we'd behave differently if we were in their position, but we're all a deterministic product of our environment. If we were truly in their position (in every sense), we'd behave exactly as they do.

You can have understanding and compassion for why a person is a dick, while still holding them accountable. I don't think the experience of hardship justifies being an asshole, but it does explain it. I find I have more patience for people when I force myself to acknowledge that their life experience and their mind is different from mine. Ultimately though, my patience isn't unlimited and it comes down to this:

Quote Originally Posted by P-O
    Honestly, who cares WHY they're an asshole. If they consistently make you miserable, they're not worth your time. Life is too short. Leave the garbage on the road and move on.