Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Career change to software /web development

Type
    INTP

Career change to software /web development

I need your insight guys.
    Especially from the technology geeks.
    I have a day job,family and i am 40.

What do you think is the most efficient way to get into software /web development without quitting my job?

My backround has nothing to do with computers.
    I have a degree in journalism and an MBA.
    My working experience is in television/radio news reporting and human resources managemet.

There are universities that offer computer science degrees where i live, so i could enroll on a part time basis.
    I suppose i will not need 4 years to complete the degree cause they will recognise some credits from my previous degree.

Then threre are those online bootcamps that teach programming.

Anyway please shed some light to all us blind INTPs that want to transition to software/web development or think they want that.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    What do you think is the most efficient way to get into software /web development without quitting my job?
    Get a bunch of computers you can use, and start a home network. Start simple -- have a desktop PC, a laptop, some other systems that use the same network that are used by other people and just set things up so you can configure the network, monitor it, administer services that people can use, etc. In this way, you start out with a hobby and use it to teach yourself new job skills.

I'd do that for a while BEFORE considering going back to school or paying for a bootcamp.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP
    That's a popular question, but I'd be interesting in hearing this myself. I imagine options are limited. The best bet would probably be creating an elaborate piece of software, a dynamic website, or contributing to the open-source community in some capacity. My feeling is that hobbyist tinkering/scripting in languages like Haskell are nice-to-have but not nearly enough to promote yourself effectively. Job requirements overwhelmingly favor web technologies today, Javascript in particular. Other road maps would be more interesting, but still I'll be trying my hand at web development when I find the energy.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

eyeing you rabbit warrior kitsune's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    a vast moor in the old world brimming with jackrabbits where three rivers decussate
    Buy a domain and get it hosted. I like GoDaddy. It's a cheap investment. Install Wordpress on your website and start playing around. Borrow some WordPress books from your library and follow the exercises. Once you've played around with WordPress, you could install Drupal and play around with that. You could also volunteer to set up a website for a tiny non-profit or small mom and pop and use that as your dummy project. Something simple and easy. Then voila, you've got a portfolio.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Can some other industry become sufficiently faddish that it gets flooded with people who want to knock out web apps, found unicorn startups and pretend to know how to 'code' as some kind of fashionable skill? Please? I mean, the ones who have no appreciated for engineering or the glorious complexity and power computers, who just want to cash in to something they barely understand.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    Can some other industry become sufficiently faddish that it gets flooded with people who want to knock out web apps, found unicorn startups and pretend to know how to 'code' as some kind of fashionable skill? Please? I mean, the ones who have no appreciated for engineering or the glorious complexity and power computers, who just want to cash in to something they barely understand.
    Someone seems salty.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Someone seems salty.
    The average slashdot user just sounds like that.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    He's got a point though.

Type
    INTP
    @ferrus, it would take another industry having similarly high prevailing wages and cushy work conditions. Or, wages in programming to be driven down by a glut of suitable candidates.

For the cause though, I'm going to suggest The Art of Computer Programming as a valuable read to help keep proper perspective on what the work should be. Though I also proffer the caveats that I've yet to land a gig, and I'm a bit of a romantic.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    @ferrus, it would take another industry having similarly high prevailing wages and cushy work conditions. Or, wages in programming to be driven down by a glut of suitable candidates.

For the cause though, I'm going to suggest The Art of Computer Programming as a valuable read to help keep proper perspective on what the work should be. Though I also proffer the caveats that I've yet to land a gig, and I'm a bit of a romantic.
    Ha! The prevailing propaganda at my old company was that 'software development is dying' - as a way of getting us to stay and do consultancy jobs which none of us wanted. Some people actually believed this, being insulated from the world outside there and went along.

What I realised was, that the kind of software development they did traditional was dying. Clunky enterprise development and web portals which has all been outsourced. And I kind of realise, for good reason. They moved onto being shills and configurers for clunky enterprise data products which have questionable business value instead. Meh.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein