Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JavaScripting

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP

JavaScripting

This isn't a blog or 'nuthin nor a very pointed thread. I just figured that JavaScript needed it's own space on here where everyone could come to read and discuss. JavaScript is the Wild West of programming.

What's currently plaguing me? I have a convoluted app that I developed while learning the MEAN stack through a book. What I've learned since then is that I fucking hate that book and how a lot of things are done in it.. Actually, really, I just hate that this was my introduction to Angular, because now I hate Angular - it's way too convoluted for my tastes and does a few things in a way that doesn't make sense to me. Not to mention, Angular 2.0 is coming out and is supposedly not backwards compatible at all? My first experiment with Angular may very well be my last and I'm grateful that my employers don't really seem interested in using it for anything. I'd honestly rather go back to using Knockout.

I'm starting to use Enyo.js - it's a little weird. It's more of a JavaScript-first framework - meaning that you're primarily writing JavaScript and it generates HTML and CSS for you, which I actually like. I'll probably write more on this later. So far, I've only done a single tutorial. About to branch off from that and make changes/use a different API.

Backend stuff? Meh.. Express.. Mumble mumble.. Mongoose.. Whatever, as long as it serves up data.

Still haven't tried React or Backbone or Ember.

Type
    INTP
    I've heard a few mixed sentiments about Angular myself and I'm in no hurry to tinker with it. For small projects I would imagine more to gain from a strong library than a framework.

I will try Node on server-side eventually but what I hear of Rails makes it sound like magic even if it's more than what I need so I'm brushing up on that instead.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTP
    I am a JavaScript purist. No outisde libraries (I've written my own framework of libraries for client, server and general cases). I've written my own js parser, compiler, interpreter stack in js, such that I can say, "I know JavaScript inside and out". I am more than just irked by how people always assume that knowing (nevermind having any expertise in) JavaScript has anything to do with whatever libraries (read: crutches) are in fashion for it at the time. The biggest offender? jQuery for client+side. I spit at that bloated peice of shit crutch. What a fucking abomimation. I found most all other libraries I've encountered similarly irksome. Anti-patterns upon anti-patterns. Pathetic.
    Last edited by Ptah; 10-30-2015 at 10:35 PM.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    I am a JavaScript purist. No outisde libraries (I've written my own framework of libraries for client, server and general cases). I've written my own js parser, compiler, interpreter stack in js, such that I can say, "I know JavaScript inside and out". I am more than just irked by how people always assume that knowing (nevermind expertise in) JavaScript has anything to do with whatever libraries are in fashion for it at the time. The biggest offender? jQuery for client+side. I spit at that bloated peice of shit crutch. What a fucking abomimation. I found most all other libraries I've encountered similarly irksome. Anti-patterns upon anti-patterns. Pathetic.
    Interesting work - a friend of mine is - too state it simplistically - building code optimisation tool for a media company in Javascript that takes the AST and (for want of a better word), rearranges it and makes certain points pluggable - it's in the somewhat obscure field of program transformations. So an external user can, for example, externally reference a choice of video encoding library calls, external DLLs and whatever else you want.... and then farm out these ASTs to various parallelised interpreters in a map-reduce cloud grid.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    Interesting work - a friend of mine is - too state it simplistically - building code optimisation tool for a media company in Javascript that takes the AST and (for want of a better word), rearranges it and makes certain points pluggable - it's in the somewhat obscure field of program transformations. So an external user can, for example, externally reference a choice of video encoding library calls, external DLLs and whatever else you want.... and then farm out these ASTs to various parallelised interpreters in a map-reduce cloud grid.
    Yeah. I'm no expert in compiler approaches or anything, but I'm familiar enough to have had some fun playing around with ASTs (my favorite part other than back-end codegen/interpretation and what limited manner of light optimizations I've learned/applied). I've dabbled in parsers/compilers/etc for other langauges (all C-like, apart from a LISP-like once back when)... but my enduring fascination with JavaScript has compelled me to delve further into that from time to time. Not toward any practical end, such as a project for work, etc. Just because the mountain is there. My latest half-baked effort was a custom stack/register-based VM (in js, of course), built up just so I could prove out the generality of my js codegen bit (as like many other things, it evolved naturally out of an elaborated set of scaffolding and unit tests, etc). Blah, blah, blah...

Generally, I use my js parser to pull apart and disect, re-symbol/reverse-engineer "obfuscated" code out on the web. Again, for sport, mostly.

Type
    INXP
    I am a JavaScript purist. No outisde libraries (I've written my own framework of libraries for client, server and general cases). I've written my own js parser, compiler, interpreter stack in js, such that I can say, "I know JavaScript inside and out". I am more than just irked by how people always assume that knowing (nevermind having any expertise in) JavaScript has anything to do with whatever libraries (read: crutches) are in fashion for it at the time. The biggest offender? jQuery for client+side. I spit at that bloated peice of shit crutch. What a fucking abomimation. I found most all other libraries I've encountered similarly irksome. Anti-patterns upon anti-patterns. Pathetic.
    Can I see your framework of libraries and parser/compiler/interpreter stack anywhere? Is it documented?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by notdavidlynch View Post
    Can I see your framework of libraries and parser/compiler/interpreter stack anywhere? Is it documented?
    It is published nowhere online. Documented, yes, but not publicly.

Type
    INXP
    A simple explanation I found about the stack & event loop in JavaScript (so you can avoid blocking it):

Type
    INXP
    It is published nowhere online. Documented, yes, but not publicly.

How does it compare to this framework?

Type
    INXP
    Day 1 with React.js - not excited. Reminds me of Enyo in some ways, but in others it's way more of a pain in the ass. Maybe I'm a newb, but I had trouble getting my JSX to work when installing from NPM. Tried both babelify and reactify with browserify and both threw errors - actually, reactify just spat out hundreds of lines of code as an "error" and I didn't bother trying to understand it. Reverted to doing things on the front end with CDNs.

Tried to crash together SoundCloud with P5. Got it to work - realized that I didn't need the SoundCloud SDK. But still don't know enough about streaming audio to know if it would be a good idea anyway.

Meh.