View Poll Results: Do you express these facial traits?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Competence

2 18.18%
  • Dominance

2 18.18%
  • Both

7 63.64%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: INTP - Facial Expression Affect and Intimidation Factor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Type
    INTP

INTP - Facial Expression Affect and Intimidation Factor

AKA 'Bitchy Resting Face'

I was reading an article:
    Do you have a happy or angry resting face? It may affect your career

They seem to loop a study on perception of competence alongside perceived need for dominance:

"Facial expressions demonstrating competence (A) and dominance (B), ranging left to right from lower than average, average, and higher than average."

Essentially, we decide that someone is trustworthy or competent or extroverted based solely on their facial features.
    Do people generally take INTP melancholy traits--and unassuming competence--to be "unpredictable" or untrustworthy if you sometimes don't downplay what you've done when driven to do something? The assumption is someone "undecided" with what to do with their lives could appear otherwise as incapable?

The reasoning being is that you could go your entire life not being driven purely on the precept that you would "rather be doing other things," much like a student being forced to "like" school (which isn't really going along with their natural predisposition to prefer to do other things, now is it?) If you are constantly "on a different page" you will probably not be engaged with the rest of society, which does not preclude you aren't able to achieve more by yourself than 5 regular people.

Even if you don't agree with my justifying "Bitchy Resting Face" as being akin to "INTP Face" (typically we don't look bitchy, but angry might exists in incompatible environments; and yes brooding behind the neurosis is true anger.) The problem is when people would rather deny what you are proven to perform at and think what applies to themselves and regular people is somehow acceptable criteria for evaluating your performance; as if you didn't exist.

Type
    INFP
    In a word, yes, it's all true.

It's not exclusive to INTP, I'd say it's more an INxx thing, but physical looks still play a major part of how people react to it. Myself, I get "you look angry" all the time and I know I intimidate people with what is my most neutral look. People tend to steer wide because I'm fairly average in looks otherwise and I have to actually put effort into not being intimidating by being overly jovial. Meanwhile I knew a very attractive INTJ woman accused of "bitchy resting face" quite a lot and despite the giant rock on her ring finger, men hit on or attempted to chat her up all the time. Some even tried to give her gifts she never asked for, which creeped her out. Seeing this however, other women tended not to trust her and she had few female friends.

Type
    INTP
    Great video. I don't think "bitchy resting face" or "asshole face" is an apt description though. A more accurate way to encapsulate this idea is the "blank face." People who are not very emotionally expressive tend to have this (INTPs for sure). People have a harder time relating to a perceived absence of emotion, and in fact may assume the worst, when in fact the person in question just doesn't emote much.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Dominance

It has caused me a lot of grief over the years because strangers often react to this perception by fronting an aggressive posture/attitude.
    I'm really kind natured IRL and it would have been nice to have a face to match.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    When I was younger and less confident, my lack of expression didn't come across as "bitchy" face...it was more "sad" face...or at least I assume so based on the fact that random strangers frequently said things like, "It's not that bad," and "cheer up," or "you would be so much prettier if you smiled," or my favorite, some form of "how can I interject myself into your life in order to solve whatever is making you look so sad."

Now that I'm older and more confident, my lack of expression is intimidating or aggressive, but I've also learned how to constantly wear an appropriately engaged expression when I'm around people. This is yet another thing in the list of things that make being around people and their egos so tiring.

The funny thing is that I can engage in a wide array of the subjects that come up at small talk venues quite easily, but not without exceeding the depth boundaries of small talk and giving everyone the bends. Since this is a faux pas, I cannot actually engage and will end up wearing that expressionless face if I don't consciously fake it.

Real example. President of the company that pays the bill's wife brings up the common cold and says something patently false at the head table where I'm seated with a former governor and his wife because my husband is the MC. My brain becomes quite engaged, but nothing I have to say on the subject is appropriately light. I stfu and smile, occasionally interjecting something like, "that's fascinating." I'm not great at it, but I've become passable because sitting there with an expression that accurately conveys my lack of engagement in the conversation is simply not an option.

I am working toward a rep of such eccentricity that I can do the social equivalent of blasting the conversation and saying "boring conversation anyway," as I walk away. "Luke, we are never going to have company again!" (high fives)

My hair cannot turn white fast enough. I think when your hair is white, bitchy resting face is socially acceptable provided you are eccentric. Especially if you have a PhD.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post

Real example. President of the company that pays the bill's wife brings up the common cold and says something patently false at the head table where I'm seated with a former governor and his wife because my husband is the MC. My brain becomes quite engaged, but nothing I have to say on the subject is appropriately light. I stfu and smile, occasionally interjecting something like, "that's fascinating." I'm not great at it, but I've become passable because sitting there with an expression that accurately conveys my lack of engagement in the conversation is simply not an option.
    I do the exact same thing except my interjection is to make a "hmm" noise while making an "I didn't know that" face. Eventually that gets too tiring and I just sort of look off in the distance as if I didn't hear the absurdity just uttered in my presence.

I didn't realize I had the asshole face until a friend told me about "resting bitch face" and it kind of clicked that that's why some people ask me if I'm ok all the time. I did work a customer service job for several years and some customers would walk right past me to one of the friendlier looking employees. I even had a coworker once who told me if he didn't know me he'd think I was the biggest asshole in the world. I guess it just comes with the territory.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I definitely have bitchy resting face. Most of the time, it's like I'm getting too much light, so I'm generally kinda squinting, or scowling. Plus, growing up in a rough, ghetto neighborhood, you kinda had to exude this pissed off, ready to go if fucked with kind of 'eminem' face when alone, so there's that.

Type
    INTP
    I have a neutral resting face. As soon as someone speaks to me with inane or banal drivel, then I switch to bitchy face.

Type
    INXX
    Quote Originally Posted by SheepDog View Post
    ...then I switch to bitchy face.
    One could document said face for posterity here: http://forums.intpcomplex.com/showth...t-We-Look-Like
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

facta non verba interprétation erronée's Avatar
    Type
    INxx
    My facial expression says "Try me, I dare ya"
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    Jan Bonclay
    “If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.” ― Malcolm X