Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What name would you get today? (In the US)

Type
    IXTP
    It doesn't work for my name, it's too uncommon. I even tried with just my first name and it still didn't work.

Type
    INTP
    My name: Rob

Today: Giancarlo
    2000: Chester
    1990: Ethen (it bothers me that they didn't spell it 'Ethan')
    1980: Mac
    1970: Darold
    1960: Nate
    1950: Auther (another dumb spelling)
    1940: Delwin
    1930: Olaf
    1920: Beauford
    1910: Prentis
    1900: Anne (weird)
    1890: Handy

I think my parents did alright.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTP
    Sweet Jesus...

Jacob
    Christopher
    Joshua
    James
    John
    Mark
    David
    William
    William
    Charles
    George
    George
    George

No Thank You
    Type
    INFP
    My name today would be
    Aleeah
    My 2000s name is
    Rayven
    My 1990s name is
    Lani
    My 1980s name is
    Jacquline
    My 1970s name is
    Nereida
    My 1960s name is
    Hester
    My 1950s name is
    Janise
    My 1940s name is
    Hermine
    My 1930s name is
    Earnesteen
    My 1920s name is
    Lassie
    My 1910s name is
    Ysabel
    My 1900s name is
    Luddie
    My 1890s name is
    Fredricka

My parents almost named me Jarzębina (Rowan tree in Polish). It's not in the site's database of names. With that name I coulda been a contender

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    infj
    I'd be Bennett. I like it.

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Charles.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Playing with the tool, I've noticed something interesting: It's pretty common that the input name doesn't show up in the list of names said input would have had, even when looking at the decade the input allegedly happened in.

Sorry @Penguinhunter, reverse lookups don't work--even if you know when the person was born.

I think my favorite so far was putting in "Cecil" in 2014. The immediate result: No. Your name is "Abdulaziz".

On the other hand, if I put in "Cecil" for my own birth year, the today name is "Gannon". Overall, "Cecil" seems like a good level of name trendiness to shoot for to get some interesting names, even if "Cecil" itself is probably not a good name to burden someone with.
    Every master plan has one overarching contingency that will be required for success: desenrascanço. In light of this, it is tempting to skip the planning phase and just make desenrascanço your master plan. I don't recommend this, but it has worked out for me in the past to an alarming degree. The problem is it keeps you too focused on the short term to ever improve your situation in the long.
    --Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I've decided I would like to have a job naming kids--not forever, just for like a month or two at a hospital that does brisk business in that department. I'd be better at it than most--much as most would be better at what comes after than me.

You know how it's really obvious that someone's parents were hippies? They have characteristic "my parent's are hippies" names. I'd foster a similarly identifiable sub-culture, but with good names. People would hear the name and know it was from my aesthetic, though over time, as it caught on, it would be less certain whether or not I had personally given the name. My names would be worn with pride.

For example, "Steel" is a name sometimes worn by boys, but it's a lousy name. Most of the time, the guy is a bit of a douche toboggan and never ever ceases to be a boy in any of the ways that matter. There's nothing wrong with being young at heart, and immature sniggering is fine so long as it isn't done in abject cruelty. But "Steel" is not a name I'd generally associate with someone who thinks deeply about life, the universe, and whether or not it's wise to lift their Blazer three feet in the air, park on curbs, or occupy the maximum number of parking spaces they can infringe on. It's the name of someone who should use a spittoon, but does not.

I do, however, appreciate the intent behind such a name. But I would go with "Iron". And I would only give it to red haired kids.

Another name I would like to encourage is "Mare". Not "Mary", with all it's religious baggage, just "Mare". Now, some might think it implies breeding stock, but those people are idiots with little knowledge of wild horses. I, however, am merely poorly but broadly educated, and of moderate intellect, so I realize that "Mare" is actually a strong name. Mares lead the herd. Granted, only one mare leads the herd and there are other mares present, but it's up to the child to decide if they are a leader or a follower. The name allows for either, and in no way implies servility, docility, weakness, or religiousness.

Reed is another good name. My aesthetic, if you're wondering, is similar to that of hippies, but more pragmatic than 'romantic'. I'd also avoid the adjective-noun of fantasy naming, while still having a certain mythic flavor.

I always thought "Increase" was a curious if obviously prosperity motivated name from the Puritan tradition. But it's distracting. Still, I like the nuance of measure, so I'd go with "Meter", and "Balance".

Some lucky child, I'd dub "Carbon". I think it's a great name. Especially at the beach.

At least one little ruffian would be "Entropy", because I believe in honesty.

Some other names: Knot, Flute, Radius, Cutler, Moss, Moth, Fray, Mend, Purl, Glass, Kettle, Lug, Hex, Hunter, Arc, Keep, Novice, Leaf, Bow (deliberately not the Cajun version), Nail, and of course, Root.
    Every master plan has one overarching contingency that will be required for success: desenrascanço. In light of this, it is tempting to skip the planning phase and just make desenrascanço your master plan. I don't recommend this, but it has worked out for me in the past to an alarming degree. The problem is it keeps you too focused on the short term to ever improve your situation in the long.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Sorry @Penguinhunter, reverse lookups don't work--even if you know when the person was born.
    You're right, how disappointing. I assumed when you entered your own name it was also charted by decade but it does say that they apply the ranking from your particular year of birth to all the other charts.

I think my favorite so far was putting in "Cecil" in 2014. The immediate result: No. Your name is "Abdulaziz".
    I haven't been able to figure this one out. . . Maybe a tie in the rankings?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguinhunter View Post
    I haven't been able to figure this one out. . . Maybe a tie in the rankings?
    That's one option. Another is that it's popularity in a given year compared to popularity over a decade.

But given that Abdulaziz and Cecil pull up identical lists, a tie in the rankings with winner decided by alphabetical order seems likely.